Flying with Firearms.

Should be a simple transaction through the airline with TSA approval. You will open and show them unloaded and secured. No one has the authority to take or hold the key or firearm. If you have ammo going as well, some agents are easier to deal with than others. I had it where they want ammo packed in original packaging and some that didn't care if you had ammo in magazines as long as they were not in the firearm. This will likely add an hour to your check in time. Read the necessary info on the TSA website, be polite and courteous, read your airline requirements and you should roll through with minimal inconvenience.

Should be a simple transaction through the airline with TSA approval. You will open and show them unloaded and secured. No one has the authority to take or hold the key or firearm. If you have ammo going as well, some agents are easier to deal with than others. I had it where they want ammo packed in original packaging and some that didn't care if you had ammo in magazines as long as they were not in the firearm. This will likely add an hour to your check in time. Read the necessary info on the TSA website, be polite and courteous, read your airline requirements and you should roll through with minimal inconvenience.
This has been my experience. Show no attitude and it doesn't hurt you to say "Sir" or "Ma'am". Cooperate with them and answer their questions and you will likely have no problems.

One time I was going through the firearms process at MDW in Chicago. The TSA agent and I looked at each other twice, then we realized we had been shooting in adjacent lanes at a suburban range the previous day. We had talked and shared a couple pointers in the range, then chatted as we left. That was the easiest trip through the TSA checkpoint I've ever had. All he wanted to see was that the guns were unloaded. I always put a red breach flag in rifles and a zip tie through the barrel of pistols. There is zero doubt in anyone's mind that the firearms are unloaded. His inspection took no more than a quick glance.

Back