Flyers New Coach

The Flyers hired John Tortorella as their new Coach. I’m aware of what success he’s had and remember how “lively” he was during games and post game press meetings but I am wondering what the opinions are of BITOG hockey fans of teams that he coached for in the past. The Flyers do need a kick in the arse. They have some talented players though admittedly not of deep playoff calibre, (at least not yet for the younger players) but don’t seem to have the needed drive/heart. Can Torts stoke that fire?

I think they waited too long. There were much better and still better options out there IMO. He’s an old school guy who wears players down and rides his favorites too much.

But full disclosure I’m not a Flyers fan so really I don’t care.

Just my $0.02

He ran Luongo out of Vancouver and Dubois out of Columbus. His style doesn't work on guys for very long.

But he did give us one of the best first shifts in a game in recent memory.

55 year Flyers fan here. Tortorella will probably be like Laviolette was for the Flyers. He'll mold the team to his liking, most of the players will buy in for 1-3 years and they'll reach a peak without any real playoff success. At least Laviolette made the cup finals in 2010. If the front office doesn't do a much better job of player drafting, acquisition and development, it will be 50 years and more without a Stanley Cup. Then it won't matter if Toe Blake or Scotty Bowman was the coach.

Last edited:
He ran Luongo out of Vancouver and Dubois out of Columbus. His style doesn't work on guys for very long.

But he did give us one of the best first shifts in a game in recent memory.

Well, somehow he led the Lightning to their first Stanley Cup title. Bit of a loudmouth and I don’t care for his coaching style.

He is a nice guy actually irl. He is a total dictator as a coach. If the players buy in then there will be success. If any of the "talent" players go against the system then expect 2-3 seasons and done. I like torts as a person, dislike him as a coach and I totally dislike the flyers 🤬.

One thing for sure, he will make a team disciplined.

Back