Fluids for '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really know nothing about this car, as it is a temporary vehicle since my 2001 Acura Integra Type-R got stolen and stripped, and I'm in the market for an AP1 Honda S2000. In the meantime I'd like to take care of this vehicle as best as I can, especially because my brother who was in charge of maintaining it did not do a very stellar job.

I was wondering what fluids to use in this vehicle, for the differential, the automatic transmission, and perhaps the power steering as I experience some power steering loss when the car is not warm yet. The automatic transmission does experience some slippage coming from a complete stop sometimes, and also note that the vehicle is all time 4WD.

Note that I also have a bottle of AutoRx which I may use in the transmission prior to changing the fluid, and dumping the rest in the engine for a clean/rinse cycle. I also probably will Seafoam the engine and change the plugs.

Thanks for your input.

You need to check the owners manual and give us the requirements needed so that we can make recommendations.

5.7L??? 5.9?

If you don't have an owners manual, the dipsticks/reservoir-caps, or possibly stickers somewhere on the car might help you with fluid specs. Also, there are a bunch of jeep forums that should help with required specs.

Whoops, it might be 5.9L. I will report later with the manual's specifications. It's the largest engine they offered, I believe.

Alright, here we go:
-------------------------

Engine oil: SAE 10w-30 preferred
ATF: Mopar ATF Plus (Type 7176) or equivalent
It says ATF+2 or ATF+2 Type 7176
"Caution!: Using transmission fluids other than ATF+2 may cause deterioration in shift quality and/or torque converter clutch shudder"

Transfer case: Dextron III

Here's what I'm using in my 96 JGC 5.2 w/quadratrac::

Engine - 5w30 - mostly Mobil1 but sometimes I cheep out.

Transmission - ATF+4 - It's an upgrade from the other ATF+ series fluids Cheeper than the synthetics and I was having shift troubles on the ATF+3 that have pretty much disappeared right from the first 3 liter partial change.....

Transfer case - Amsoil synthetic ATF but could just as well use the Mobil1 syn. ATF too.

Diffs - Mobil1 75w90 synthetic

JD

I heard something about that the differential needed special dealership fluid. I know sometimes this is BS, but one of my old cars was a Honda automatic which actually DID require the ATF-Z1. Is this additive really required?

quote:

Originally posted by Logik:
I heard something about that the differential needed special dealership fluid. I know sometimes this is BS, but one of my old cars was a Honda automatic which actually DID require the ATF-Z1. Is this additive really required?

IF it is a 98 Limited 5.9, it is a very rare Jeep and actually the fastest SUV made that year
smile.gif

Tranny, use ATF+4, Diffs any good synthetic gear lube and the Transfer case uses a special Mopar Fluid ONLY!

Go on to http://jeepsunlimited.com/ to learn a little more about your rig, most Jeepers would kill for one of those ZJ's.

WJ/ZJ Forum http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

quote:

Originally posted by VNT:

quote:

Originally posted by Logik:

IF it is a 98 Limited 5.9, it is a very rare Jeep and actually the fastest SUV made that year
smile.gif

Tranny, use ATF+4, Diffs any good synthetic gear lube and the Transfer case uses a special Mopar Fluid ONLY!

Go on to http://jeepsunlimited.com/ to learn a little more about your rig, most Jeepers would kill for one of those ZJ's.

WJ/ZJ Forum http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

I don't know if its a limited, but it says TSi in purple on the side... not sure if that's what you mean?

Thanks for the links!

You can use the thicker 75W140 in the rear differential especially if you tow....add friction modifier if you have a Limited Slip....should be indicated by a tag on the diff cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back