Fluid Leak from Torque Converter to Transmission

There’s been a discussion on a Honda forum about an issue with its CVTs as described in TSB 18-072. The issue is excessive clearance between the torque converter stator and transmission input shaft that allows fluid to slowly seep from the torque converter to the transmission. When a cold start follows and reverse is engaged, the transmission will start to refill the torque converter but an air pocket can form in the torque converter causing the converter to lock up and stall the engine. Honda’s solution is to replace the transmission.

I’m personally invested in this issue but have very limited transmission knowledge and would appreciate thoughts on the following:

First, is the leakage/refill issue common to all transmissions with a torque converter, so this is a problem only if leakage is excessive?

Second, do the stator and input shaft wear on one another so such a problem could progress with miles? And there’s the knowledge issue.)

Third, if there is the leakage/stall issue, is this ultimately just a nuisance or can it lead to something much more serious, like immobility?

Fourth, do transmissions typically refill torque converter whenever the engine is on, even if in Park, or does Reverse or another gear need to be engaged first?

Many thanks.

I'm not familiar with the Honda unit, but typically converter "lock-up" is actuated by the transmission hydraulics commanded by the powertrain electronics. Inside the converter you apply pressure on the "back" side of the lockup plate to press it against the converter front cover and lock it to the turbine shaft. It sounds like on a start-up condition with a half empty (drained down) converter, somehow the system is not in the normal non-lockup hydraulic mode.

In my experience any converter will drain down over time in the engine off state, the rotating seals are designed to hold pressure, but not seal perfectly because as you say the drainback is into the transmission.

My dad had this problem with his Subaru SVX and he would put it in neutral for a few moments and then it would work. I think it pumps fluid back up. This mainly was a cold start thing when it had sat for a while.

Back