Fluid Film or Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ready to spray the underside of my wifes Wrangler Rubicon before winter. Always used the Amsoil HDMP in the past. Lately I have heard some good things about Fluid Film and thought I'd ask what you guys think according to your past experience. Help me decide!!!!!!!

FF is nice because it creeps, and is always sort of liquidy. It self-repairs to a degree. No chipping it off from salt chunks. It also grabs road dust to make a sort of shield for itself. Makes the car's underside black after a few years and it's a mess working on anything it's touched. But, bolts/nuts that get blasted with salt still come out easily.

I've sprayed both cars with FF for about 3 years now. The stuff does work, although not without its drawbacks. Working on a non-rusty car is totally worth getting messy, though!

Where's the best place to get the fluid film? Is this similar to what rust prevention places use, will it slow rust progression or does have to be applbeforehand?

I have found that fluid film doesn't hold up well in high wash areas, but it creeps well in other areas. Might want to find something thicker if you plan on using it in the wheel well area. Corrosion-X HD seems to do better in high wash areas, but it is expensive. As others mentioned, working on your car guarantees you will get messy.

H D Metal Protector working well for me as a undercoat
wink.gif

Get a dedicated dripless undercoating oil. Dont pay more that $20 per gallon. Using areosol rattle cans is prohibitively expensive, and the product will not last

Originally Posted By: JDW
H D Metal Protector working well for me as a undercoat
wink.gif

Me too.

I have used both on my F150. I did the exposed underbody panels with HDMP, allowed it to fully dry and followed with FF in hidden areas and nooks/crannies.

I like the fact the HDMP dries to a dry film but I don't think its as cost effective as FF and will be going that route for the entire process in the future. Except, as already mentioned, in high wash areas.

That is exactly why I like Fluid Film. If your not working in brake lines, frame areas, or body panels because they are filthy greasy (but not rusty), I call that success. My Silverado has a nice buildup of various products over the years that is nice to look at for protection, but messy to work on, and I like it that way. Too thin of a product and it seems to wash off too easily. I think Carwell increased their viscosity on the undercarriage spray to slow down washout, but their crack and crevice product is still thin for better coverage in enclosed areas. Atleast that is what I heard.
Originally Posted By: buck91
I have used both on my F150. I did the exposed underbody panels with HDMP, allowed it to fully dry and followed with FF in hidden areas and nooks/crannies.

I like the fact the HDMP dries to a dry film but I don't think its as cost effective as FF and will be going that route for the entire process in the future. Except, as already mentioned, in high wash areas.

I'm a big Fluid Film fan for rust prevention. I use it for automotive, on my machine tools, guns and to lube a squeaky drawer in the kitchen. For "dry" surfaces (not auto) I use Eezox.
If any of you are reloaders, FF is an excellent case lube for sizing. I spray a little on a folded paper towel and roll the cases across it.

I agree that in high wash areas fluid film doesn't hold up. Your better off with something like heavy duty metal protector in those areas.

Just use the gel version of fluid film if you are worried about the high wash areas like wheel wells and such. It is a thickened version called fluid film AR. You brush it on with a paint brush and really holds up well to the high wash areas. You can buy it in small tubs, gallon or 5 gallon cans just like regular fluid film.

I have a question about Fluid Film and didn't want to start a new thread over one question or hopefully not thread jack, but....... I am fairly certain about this; Is Fluid Film miscible with other oil based products? I have applied a waxy oil designed for heavy equipment on my vehicles and have run out. I have a few cans of Fluid Film and was hoping to finish up with this.
BTW: I love using Amsoil MP for alloy wheels. I have had great success with it. No pitting after years of harsh winters and no ugly oily buildup.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
I have a question about Fluid Film and didn't want to start a new thread over one question or hopefully not thread jack, but....... I am fairly certain about this; Is Fluid Film miscible with other oil based products? I have applied a waxy oil designed for heavy equipment on my vehicles and have run out. I have a few cans of Fluid Film and was hoping to finish up with this.
BTW: I love using Amsoil MP for alloy wheels. I have had great success with it. No pitting after years of harsh winters and no ugly oily buildup.

I put fluid film over the top of an already fading coat of Amsoil HDMP last week. The fluid film didn't seem to affect or bother the HDMP and the fluid film acted like it always did. I am sure you will be fine to mix the two or apply the fluid film over the top of the other product.

It is supposedly miscible and in fact FF officially recommends mixing with vegetable oil to make it easier to spray. I don't think it'll mix very well with already applied product and one will likely "float" over the other- not sure though. Something like HDMP dries to a film and wont be hugely affected.

How do you apply HDMP to your wheels? Spray on, wipe on or spray on and wipe off?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buck91

It is supposedly miscible and in fact FF officially recommends mixing with vegetable oil to make it easier to spray. I don't think it'll mix very well with already applied product and one will likely "float" over the other- not sure though. Something like HDMP dries to a film and wont be hugely affected.

How do you apply HDMP to your wheels? Spray on, wipe on or spray on and wipe off?

Pretty sure he wrote Amsoil MP, not HDMP.

I spray on HDMP on the insides of the wheels and leave it til the spring. I spray and wipe on the outside of the wheels. Come spring. I remove the wheels, clean them up with simple green and they look new. The wheels on my F150 are 18 years old with 18 Ohio winters and look great.
Back to FF, I kind of figured lanolin would be miscible. After all, it's the main ingredient in Auto Rx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back