Fluid Film as under car rust preventative? Others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone:

I am looking for a self-applied underbody rust and corrosion inhibitor. I want to try and eliminate/curb any further damage to my very clean, older daily driven cars from the upcoming salty NE Pennsylvaia winter.

Has anyone here had experience using "Fluid Film" rust/corrosion inhibitor as an underbody/cavity rustproofing?

http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/

I have read a few comments on the 'net that seem to be positive.

It seems to be a product that is easier to use than some other spray oil methods like chain saw bar oil, used motor oil/ATF/Diesel (messy), Waxoyl (thick and expensive) and less likely to make a dripping, toxic mess in my driveway (I also have a well and want to keep it free of solvents and petroleum.) It is lanolin based, wicks into any existing rust and is supposed to be self-healing. It is also relatively inexpensive and can be found locally at many John Deere dealers.

I have also heard that a paint additive called Penetrol (available at Lowes, HD, etc.) can be used for underbody rustproofing (!) as well as linseed oil (some say raw, some say boiled) but all of these except the raw linseed oil have solvents in them - something that I am trying to avoid.

Any experiences out there in BITOG land?

Thanks!

Andrew S.

'98 Nissan Quest
'91 Volvo 740

I have 25 years successful experience with Texaco Rustproof compound L. Try a search using "Texaco Rustproof compound".

The product I have used for a decade is not easy to come by, and is available in 5 gallon buckets (last time I bought some it was $100 + shipping for 5 gal) or 55 gallon drums. Probably not worth publicizing here. Try one of the others.

Now that I look at the link, Eureka Fluid Film is similar to Texaco Rustproof Compound. They are both lanolin based. The last time I searched the 'net, Eureka Fluid Film was more expensive. Last fall I bought a 5-gal pail, then a 1/4 barrel of Texaco Rustproof Compound. They cost about $100 and $300, respectively. (I'm working from memory).

I lay it on thick, so I use nearly a complete 5-gal pail to do one car. Cars need to be resprayed at least every three years.

You may want to look into a new product by Corrosion X: Max Wax. I have not used this product (not much need here), but I have used some of their other products and they are first rate.

+1 for Texaco Rust Proofing. I used it for years on my vehicles. I lived in Northern IL. and the salt use was terrible. Seems the trucks put salt on clear roads at 40 degrees F. just to be sure, as it might snow. Most of my cars were kept by me for 20+ years and all in very good condition. Ed

The Texaco rust proofing I used was sprayed on by the dealer and appeared to be a waxy brown material. The sprayed on material dried to a ferm to-the-touch coating in a few days.

Thanks for the replies everyone regarding the Texaco and Corrosion X products. Kestas and Eddie - where can you get the Texaco rust proofing? I did not find it on the 'net and the only thing the Texaco web site lists are general lubricant dealers - none of which are particularly close by to me.

Thanks again,

Andrew S.

None were close to me either. The closest to myself (in Livonia) was either Chicago or downriver from Detroit. I've ordered from both places. Chicago was cheaper, but from downriver Detroit it was free shipping, which was the cheaper package deal.

Are you planning any trips in the future? It may pay to run an "errand" during your trip.

Fluid Film would not be a good choice for use as a car body corrosion inhibitor. Washability is not good.

A product that I like is called Corban 35. It is a aviation corrosion inhibitor and you can get it in either red dye which helps verify application or it comes undyed which you'd probably want on your underbody of the car. The stuff goes on very thin, dries within one hour, and lasts indefinitely it seems. It's easily removed with solvents such as acetone/MEK.

It is available from nearly all aviation supply houses and it may be as close as your local small airport. Or, you can find a place on-line to order a few cans. It comes in a aerosol spray just like a can of spray paint.

Corban makes several different types of inhibitor so you may be inclined to do a search and see what product would suit your needs. I'd use the Corban 35 if it were to be applied to my personal vehicle.

Fluid Film would not be a good choice for use as a car body corrosion inhibitor. Washability is not good.

So, Fluid Film washes off easily? I just want to make sure that I understand what you mean by "washability."

Quote:

So, Fluid Film washes off easily? I just want to make sure that I understand what you mean by "washability."

Possibly that it would hold onto grime and road debris, causes a buildup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back