Fluid change on a Nissan 06 Frontier auto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 06 V6 Nissan Frontier is coming up on 40k miles and I am preparing to do my first tranny fluid change. I have not read the manual so be kind;
27.gif
whats the best fluid to use? is it just a fluid drain and refill, or pan drop and filter too? Best filter kit to use if w/filter?
11.gif

PLMK-Thanks!

Last edited:
Well sir, I also have an 06, Frontier with AT.
The manual all but insists on Nissan Matic J fluid.
Was told by the dealer that there is no filter.
Just a screen. There is a drain plug on mine and I
just drain fluid every 10,000 miles or so. Mine takes
about 4 quarts to replace what comes out. Matic J is
$12-$15 per quart and is only available at the dealer.

May seem like overkill but this is cheap insurance.
Takes 15 minutes from start to finish. I know I'm not
getting it all, but it is being done often enough to
keep everything clean.

Hope this helps.

I'd agree that all you need to do is a drain and refill, Nissan doesn't use a filter, just a metal mesh screen, as the dealer told you. I'd change a little sooner than 40K though. I think Nissan specs 30K, but if you want to do a full flush, I'd do a couple of drain and re-fills, like every 1,500 miles or so, and then you should have most of the factory fill out of it.

Then use a good fluid and you can go another 30K if you want, but I wouldn't go too much over that.

I don't see why you would have to purchase the Nissan Matic J from the dealer for that price. I turned wrenches for Nissan for 4 years and all we had were big drums of regular old Quaker State Dex III, and it went in every tranny that came in the door.

I haven't been at Nissan for a while, so I don't know much about the '06's but I would seriously doubt that Matic J goes into anything that comes into the dealers.

Thanks, music to my ears, I just did my daughters scion tc last weekend and it was the same story :) So, I buy 4 qts of thier "yota AT fluid" and lo and behold one bottle is missing the ring which leads me to think the circus department ran out, used parts supply in the bottles and then refilled the bottles when their tank was refilled....lets go with that theory for now, I don't want to think about the other scenarios.
43.gif

Last edited:
A quick cruise around the web and I found this info:
CASTROL IMPORT MULTIVEHICLE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID IS FOR USE IN MOST HONDA, TOYOTA, NISSAN AND OTHER IMPORTED VEHICLES.
Premium Synthetic Blend formula
Recommended for use in vehicles that require:
Honda, Acura — ATF–Z1 (except in CVTs)
Toyota, Lexus — Type T, T–III, T–IV
Nissan, Infiniti — Matic–D, Matic–J
BMW — LA2634, LT71141
Mitsubishi — Diamond SP–II, SP–III
Hyundai — SP–II, SP–III
Volvo (except 5 speed)

AZ shows it on their website for a lil over $4 a qt so I am good to go, thanks! I can get Nismo J-matic for $7 qt plus shipping but I rather not wait, FYI

Last edited:
Matic J is similar to DexronIII (H), so you should be able to use DexronVI as well.

Our 03 V6 takes 4.5 liters to be exact.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
so you should be able to use DexronVIll

That was next to the castrol import ($4.19) but much higher @ $6.50 a qt!

Did mine today, easy except where the drain bolt is and drains, their is a cross member thats kinda in the way, but no biggie, getting the auto trans dipstick however, was a mystery until I found it.....since the owners manual does not show where it is or how to get to it. Cleaned my engine too, not too shabby for 37k miles. Shine by CD-2
diah%20018.jpg

Last edited:
Although I have an Infiniti and it takes Matic D fluid, I have found a great range of prices from different dealerships. The Nissan dealerships are always a lot cheaper than the Infiniti dealership, too.

Hey guys. I called around to a few tranny ships before I flushed the trans in my '08 OR Xterra. They told me never to put anything other than matic -j in there. You will blister the clutches. Now this wasn't the dealer but independent shops. I know one guy running an Xterra who has Amsoil in there for about 25k without anything bad happening so far. Just an FYI. You guys are the gurus here.

The manua states the following:

Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF *3

*3: Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission,
which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty.

They can't make you buy the Genuine Nissan fluid but can enforce you to use fluid compatible with Matic-J such as Amsoil ATF or Castrol MV ATF.

Does anyone know if Nissan will deny warranty if they find out this guy used Castrol or Amsoil, both of which are compatible substitutes for Matic J fluid?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartuss
They can't make you buy the Genuine Nissan fluid but can enforce you to use fluid compatible with Matic-J such as Amsoil ATF or Castrol MV ATF.

Does anyone know if Nissan will deny warranty if they find out this guy used Castrol or Amsoil, both of which are compatible substitutes for Matic J fluid?

Nissan won't release their fluid specs or license them out, so to them, there are no compatible fluids.
Keep in mind all compatiblility claims are made by the competing atf makers, not by Nissan. Read the wording they use carefully, it never says they meet the Nissan specs, just that their fluid is suitable for use in Nissans.
Of course, I'm not saying that most of the fluids claiming suitability won't work. I will be trying an aftermarket fluid in my '05 Xterra soon but I haven't decided which one yet.

Can't Amsoil, Castrol and other brands that say their fluid is suitable be sued if something goes wrong with a car the fluid goes into?

Last edited:
I think they claim they would warranty it but I'm not sure I would risk actually pursuing it. How would you make a claim? Still, at around $15 a quart, Matic J is still not that good of a fluid IMHO. Someone as I recall did a UOA on it and it was starting to shear and break down at 20k. Not good as far a I am concerned. I would really love to put Amsoil in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back