Flow and Filtration - is Wix the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to select a filter for my vehicles. I would appreciate an input from those who are more experienced than I. Below I have the flow and filtration data I have received through emails and through the archives.

Purolator sent me the following on their filters in an email:

The flow rate of the L20123 is 3 gallons per hour according to the catalog.
The flow rate of the L20033 is 4 gallons per hour according to the catalog.
The flow rate of the L30005 is 5 gallons per hour according to the catalog.

Purolator Premium Plus filters are rated at 10 to 40 microns with
efficiencies varying from above 90 per cent at 40 microns to above 50 per
cent at 10 microns.

Baldwin said the following about their filters:

The B39 and B9 use cellulose filter media. The filters are 22 micron and are flow tested at 3 GPM. The gasket and anti-drainback valve are made out of nitrile rubber.

I also found in the archives the beta numbers for a Baldwin filter.

22 micron nominal ( Beta @ 2 = 2) and 45 absolute (Beta @ 45 = 75)

From Patman's post a little while ago I found the beta numbers for Wix filters:

Beta: 2 =10, 20 = 25, 75 = 31. Average micron is 19

I also got the flow numbers: "Our filters will flow 7-9 GPM under normal operation"

Now the problem with the Wix is I can't get the largest filter, the 51049, with the ADBV. But I figure that the Purolator and the Baldwin aren't even close to the Wix numbers. The Baldwin seems to have really poor filtration numbers(only 50% at 22 microns) compared to the Wix. Since the Wix also has the highest flow numbers as well, I see no benefits to using the Purolator or the Baldwin.

Now, the only bad thing about the Wix are the fact that I can't get the large 51049 with the ADBV. But I figure that since the smaller filter already flows better than the biggest filter by Baldwin or Purolator, then there are no benefits to having the large filter other than extra capacity. And since I don't run my car on long intervals, wouldn't this make the Wix 51258 my best choice, even though smaller??

Pricewise (CDN $), I can get the Wix for $8 each in a case, or about $5 each for the other two (in largest form). If the Wix is significantly better, then I would pay the extra for the Wix.

Any input on my conclusion would be appreciated. I am I missing something in these numbers? I am a novice at this, so experts please comment!

Gallons per Hour?

Asking which filter is best will get you lots of opinions but few facts, many, if not most, of which are unsubstantiated. The manufacturers do not report much, don't use standardized units or tests when they do report, and couch their information in fuzzy marketing language that makes the whole exercise frustrating and unsatisfying.

Welcome to the machine.

Olds,
One more voice saying that we don't have enough info, and standardized info, about oil filters.

When a company says that their filter flows so-many gpm, they often don't tell us what viscosity oil (SAE 30 @ 180°F would be a good standard, but they often don't tell us what they use), they may or may not give us the pressure differential at their flow rate, etc., etc. Also, we don't know for sure just how many gpm our oil pumps put out.

All this said, whether you use a Baldwin/Hastings filter, or Purolator, or WIX (or SuperTech or even Fram) probably won't make any difference in your engine's durability when you trade it in, unless you're planning on owning that vehicle until the wheels fall off.

I would like to know:
--bypass valve setting,
--flow rate with 180°F SAE 30 oil @ 1/2 psi below the bypass setting,
--50% (or 75%) and absolute filtration particle size,
--capacity in grams of a standard mix of particles the filter can hold before it bypasses at half the clean flow rate.
--a standard way to measure the sealing ability of the antidrainback flap,
--a standard way to measure the sealing ability of the bypass valve.

Ken

I figured I wasn't seening the big picture. These Olds V8's that I will use this filters have an internal bypass and I am not sure of the setting. I will see if I can find out.

Aren't the Beta numbers that I listed the 50% and absolute filtration data? The only ones I didn't have the stats for were the Purolators.

It just "seems" that with all the specs that I have collected, the Wix appears to be the best filter. I don't plan on selling these cars ever, so I am looking for maximum longevity. I do plan on replacing the Olds 307 in my wagon with a larger Olds V8, but until I find a suitable canadate for a rebuild, I need that engine. The 307 in my Delta 88 will be driven into the ground. Plus, by using my 307's as test beds, I can figure out what will work best once I get my "good" Olds engine built.

The Delta 88 sees some harsh conditions in the winter. Very cold temps, and short trips. I want a filter that will help provide max protection for those cold starts.

Boxcartommie22, thanks for the numbers on the Wix filters. Those seem to be excellent flow numbers.

YZF150, I just pasted that info from my email. I guess the Purolator rep must have typed incorrect, or those Purolators are REALLY restrictive.

Anymore advice is appreciated. Does the smaller (but bigger than stock) Wix 51258 seem like my best choice?

[ February 18, 2003, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Oldswagon ]

my expedition and ford interceptor uses the same filter size..i would just stick with that..these two use a 51372 which is 4 inchs high and this is alittle bigger then some of the other brands aorund 3.5 inchs high so i really like the wix..i would not use anything made by champion labs..

would not use anything made by champion labs.. Whats wrong with Champion Labs?
spaz.gif

thanks for the numbers on the Wix filters. Those seem to be excellent flow numbers.

This exemplifies my comments above. Those numbers are devoid of context and tell us nothing of value. And why should we believe them, or anything from an email or a phone call? We've all had the experience of getting mixed signals from different reps at the same company. And what about the gallons per hour business that you pasted directly from a communication from a manufacturer? See what I mean?

Show us some bench results. Anybody!

After having reviewed the posts here, it seems to me that we're concerned primarily with flow rates and filtration efficiency. If the filter is mounted on a high-revving engine, this makes flow rate doubly important. I think we should also be concerned about the quality of the seal, especially if the engine runs hot to satisfy emissions standards and/or extended drains are desirable.

We have specific needs to know and almost no objective data on which to base decisions.

I am not an expert, many of the things I'm reading about here are new to me. I am making suggestions only. I state them only to see if I might be helpful here. I have a Ford Focus with a 2.0L Zetec engine. It needs a filter with a high flow rate. This is particularly true when the engine is cold because of the catalytic converter system I have. The engine revves very high when starting to quickly heat the cat.

To prioritize, flow rate is far more important than filtration capability. I believe that oil starvation is a more pressing problem than "dirty" oil which is largely a myth. If one is using a petroleum oil, it is best NOT to use a filter that has a high filtration efficiency rating. For example, if I use Ford's oil recommendation of 5W20, I don't want to use a Mobil 1 filter with it. The oil sludges up in this hot engine. Sludge is about 60 microns in size and will plug this filter up quickly. High efficiency filters should only be used with full and real synthetics that don't have this problem. Since high quality synthetics also "stay in grade" much better, they are the first step to high flow rates. Though many will disagree, I believe that petroleum oils have had their day just as the bias-ply tire has. Synthetic lubricants are the future.

After synthetic oils, the next step to high flow rates is a proper filtration material. The synthetic elements are almost always better for high flow rates than cellulose elements. They are thinner and the very best filters have a wire backing to the filter media to keep it more securely in place. If pleats of the filter element move together, filter backpressure increases substantially.

I am not much concerned with dirt (except in off-road use) though I am very much concerned with keeping the oil free of metal particles. To this end, I think magnets are far better for this than is the filtration material. The best elements are good down to 5-10 microns but some metal particles are smaller than this and can cause wear. Powerful magnets mounted on the filter body are better for this problem.

The problem with metal particles in the engines is probably a declining problem. Unless there was a problem at the factory, the close tolerances on modern engines means that there is little ferric material in the engine to start with. Aluminum particles may still be a problem on engines with aluminum heads and pistons but I've not seen anything indicating that this is a problem.

I use filters supplied to me by SynLube which are manufactured for the company by GM. They are intended for their lubricant but in my opinion can be used with any high quality, genuine synthetic like Amsoil 2000. They are branded as Hard Driver or Duraguard Gold both of which were OTC brands at one time but were withdrawn because of insufficient demand even though they were priced only a coupld of dollars more than the cheap kinds.

[ February 19, 2003, 03:31 AM: Message edited by: Houckster ]

The sizes I got when I cut some open were;
for Camry 4 cyl
Purolater: 50.25 long x 1 7/8 high = 94.2 square inches
SuperTech : 40.5 x 1 3/4 high = 70.8 square inches
WIX 39.5 long x 1 5/8 high = 64.2 square inches

So Wix was short on filter area.

Maybe I am just over thinking this too much. I guess all the above filters are all quality choices. Since the Wix are easier for me to get, and it "appears" that they have better flow (which I want for cold winter starts), I think I will just order a case of them. Maybe after I use up my Wix filters, I will try out the Baldwin's. I just wish that we had a better dealer here in town. The Peterbuilt dealer that carries them only orders them once a month and I have to go out of town to get them. I can get a Wix order over night from a local parts store.

Only orders once a month?
How does he stay in business?
Liquor for my daughters wedding story:

Choice A - liquor store (biggest in town) we only order once a week, need your order 2 days before that. You buy it, its yours - no returns.
Choice B - local GROCERY Store - we order every day, delivered next PM, we take back what is not opened, and has the label still on it (Champagne). Cheaper too.
None was left over tho!!!!

My guess is he simply stocks up on the "common" truck filters once a month from Baldwin. This is Peterbuilt dealer, not a parts outlet. But he told me that I could place an order through them if I wanted Baldwin products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back