Florida cop shoots dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I review the video and the dog charged the policeman. I'd shot also. One less pit bull to maim or kill someone. Pit bull should be considered as weapons and if the dog threatens or harms someone in anyway then the owner should be jailed, just as if they used a gun or knife. Ed

I love dogs....and I respect and admire good cops. They have a tough job.

Would I have shot the dog? No. Would it have harmed me because I didn't shoot it? It looks like it may have. Would it have killed me? No...very unlikely. I think I can defend and hold off a dog this size without shooting it. I am fairly confident of that and have had dogs attack me before without injuries other than a few scrapes. I can't speak for this police officer however, and he made a determination. It's his right to defend himself as he see's fit.
Sad outcome though. The owner is 100% at fault.

I sympathize with both sides; cops have a tough job and the dog was doing what comes naturally. Homeowner should have told the cop the dog was friendly, etc etc.

IMO it comes down to the amount of force required for the situation, a recurring theme with police. Small dog like that could have easily been fended off with a shoe. Gun required? Don't think so; but then the officer might have been scared of dogs, or unfamiliar enough with them to not know an attack vs an inquisitive friendly dog - both look the same to non dog owners.

Shame either way.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Florida cop shoots dog

003810ad19e8eab7754106736ec03644.jpg

This!

but seriously the girl obviously released her dog to attack the cop, he did what he should have done, there is no peephole in the door so its not like she knew who it was.

what if it was a KID at the door? that menace dog would have chewed their face up, and the dog would be put down anyway.

moral of the story dog was going down one way or another. at least this way no one else was hurt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zach1900
And a pit bull just killed a 5 year boy from Texas, tore him to shreds.
These cop hating trolls are so predictable, and I am not cop lover but give it a rest.

+1 I support the police, and I don't support free running dogs. Any owner who trusts their dogs judgment over the value of human life has no business owning a dog.

I don't get near anyone's dog. I don't trust dogs, I've been bitten too many times by "nice dogs" that "don't bite" or are "just curious".

The officers safety is way more important than an animal.

I do not hate dogs, however I value human life over any dogs freedom, period.

Last edited:
The dog is not being controlled by the owner in any way. Unless the yard was closed off with a containing fence, beware of dog signs and a remote doorbell, private property doesn't hold water. What if it had been girl guides selling cookies that the dog went directly after. Even just being curious can cause someone to fall and hit their head, causing death.

Having a pitbull coming directly for your crotch will cause self defense instincts. When directly threatened the police are taught to kill the attacker, not shoot for their legs or something.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
The dog is not being controlled by the owner in any way. Unless the yard was closed off with a containing fence, beware of dog signs and a remote doorbell, private property doesn't hold water. What if it had been girl guides selling cookies that the dog went directly after. Even just being curious can cause someone to fall and hit their head, causing death.

Having a pitbull coming directly for your crotch will cause self defense instincts. When directly threatened the police are taught to kill the attacker, not shoot for their legs or something.

Amen, I gots to stand behind the cop on this one,

Question: Next time I am in the park or front yard and neighbors dog run tome to take a sniff of my crotch, what should I do? empty my glock 10 mm at the dog? run away? call the police?

I wish there was sound on the video, it could tell a lot about the dogs intentions and weather the owner let it out or was trying to stop it. Either way cop was in the right.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Originally Posted By: tcp71

Amen, I gots to stand behind the cop on this one,

Question: Next time I am in the park or front yard and neighbors dog run tome to take a sniff of my crotch, what should I do? empty my glock 10 mm at the dog? run away? call the police?

Officer:
This particular situation, IF the dog was attacking, be a man and give it a "kick heard round the world", pepper/mace spray, and if its still coming then (might be trained) taser it. Its not like he had two dobermans/shepherds or multiple dogs coming at him. Plus it looks like he heard the dog on the other side of the door before it was even cracked open. He could have stopped her and said, "Secure your animal first."

The owner:
She didn't need to open the door since no warrant. Could have easily talked through the door. She made the choice to crack the door and lost control with the dog running out.

Honestly its bad for both the owner and the cop. To be fair and reinforce the positive image of law enforcement the cop should make a public sincere apology and offer to take care of cremation if the owner would accept it. The owner to be fair I think she shouldn't be going after getting this guy fired. It broke my heart watching the video. I just hope the dog gets a respectable burial/cremation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
BITOG was due for another LEO bashing thread...

Yeah the lady should be thankful the cop showed up at her door to tell her car door was left open!!!!!

Cop and dog seems to be pretty close to politics and religion sometines. From what I know (I trus nothing said in mainstream media, weather included) I'd be punting the dog in the teeth (police footwear seems good enough), but judging from the determined sprint I imagine I'd be shooting the dog too. That said, I don't like 95% of cops I met ( they were power tripping/cowardly/lying/unjust), and like dogs(but will not hesitate to eat). All only based on the video seen.

This happened 3 blocks from where I work in the Bronx a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4SNlbvsCss

PS: I'm a dog owner and lover but I support the cop 100%.
For those who say the "dog was on it's own property"...I
ask how you would feel if this dog attacked an 8 year old
trick or treater??? In most of these cases it's the dog OWNERS fault.

I don't know if the police officer was justified or not in shooting the dog. That will come out in the investigation, and everybody should notice that there is an investigation just like there always is if there is a police shooting, and a determination if an officer is right or wrong in shooting. So obviously, no matter what anybody says, the police are policing themselves.

What I have noticed is that there seems to be an almost organized assault on the police in this country. We had a guy posting here a while back who would come out with one video after another showing police in a bad light. Did that guy have an agenda? That former bitgo member was eventually banned for life. I am not a moderator and I don't know all the reasons he was banned. He was attacking certain members and getting into a lot of political and religious discussion also.

We have to have police. If we did not have police everybody would have to be carrying guns and defending themselves. Even if somebody hates the police they should at least agree that we must have police.

I 100% agree that a police officer who does something wrong should be disciplined or criminally charged, depending on what he did wrong. But I 100% disagree that there should be attacks on the police across the country. I have seen video on TV where demonstrators marching down a street in NY City were calling for police to be killed.

About the same time that the former member here at bitgo was posting all of the anti-police videos, I saw a video on the news on TV where a police officer saved a man's life in a burning car, and that police officer put his own life in danger. The guy posting all of the anti-police videos here at bitgo seems to have overlooked that video. The possible videos showing police doing something right or even great probably greatly outnumber the negative videos.

If somebody comes out with one video after another or one story after another where the police are put in a negative light I start to wonder if that poster has an agenda. I am not implying that the bitog member who posted this has an agenda.

Same thing if somebody comes out with one anti-gun story after another. After a while, you have to wonder if the guy posting all of the anti-gun stuff has an agenda.

And aside from the facts that maybe the poster who posts many anti-police videos and stories apparently does not like the police, what is that poster trying to achieve? Is he trying to convince all of us here at bitgo that the police are all bad? I know that all the police are not bad. So I really do not need to be exposed to somebody's agenda.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back