Florida cop shoots dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 things more...

1 - I didn't see that the officer was just trying to tell the lady she left her car door open when I posted ^^^ asking why he was there. I guess the reason he looks so on alert( again more than what I would expect unless something was wrong or he is just always like that )is he must have heard the dog inside the house and thus was being cautious in case in got out( as it turns out that was a wise thing to do I would say ).

2 - I forgot to mention when talking about how friendly my dog is ^^^ that I STILL crate her whenever anyone comes to the door I don't know. Her crate is in the kitchen by the door and I can holler at the person to wait a minute while I put Sadie away then I see what they want. The kitchen door( and even the screen door on it )never opens until I know Sadie is secured; period and end of story. A happy dog jumping on someone can still hurt them or even scare them making them hurt themselves( like stumbling back and falling off the porch at my house ).

Despite years of owning dogs and experience training them( obedience and for hunting ), and even going to a pro to try and get help with her, Sadie is so hyper I have never been able to train her not to go nuts when greeting people and jumping up on them. As a result I always warn people who want to come greet her that she is a little nut job and that she gets so excited to go see people that she will go crazy with excitement and jump all over them so they know what to expect. That is my responsibility as her owner.

Just as I never approach someone else's dog without first asking if it is ok, is the dog friendly, is there anything I shouldn't do the dog doesn't like, etc... I handle greetings with my dog the same way. I don't let anyone approach until we discuss it. I let them know what she is like and I give them certain rules to follow and things I don't want them to do.

Responsible pet ownership goes a long way towards defending people and the dogs.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Are you an idiot or just purposely ignoring parts of my post and trolling me?

I did say she was an idiot for not restraining her dog... did I not? I also DID NOT say that the cop owed her anything and should have immediately kneeled down to pet "Fluffy".

You're still making excuses and don't even realize it, explaining how someone should possibly try and kick the potentially dangerous dog instead of neutralizing the threat with the minimal amount of potential for personal injury resulting from the animal. I wouldn't care if it was an LEO or just another ordinary citizen, if you think a dog is potentially dangerous you should terminate the threat with overwhelming force if possible (a gun shot for eg), and that often results in the death of a dog. I would have done the SAME exact thing as the officer mentioned in this thread.

I CAN'T SAY IT ENOUGH TIMES FOR ALL THE ARROGANT, BELLIGERENT, AND OBNOXIOUS DOG OWNERS......

CONTROL YOUR ANIMALS..AT ALL TIMES!

Last edited:
The only comment I have in this thread is that I have a hunch that no matter what the officer did in this situation, the people involved would have released the footage and used it to complain about or belittle the police.

Had the officer kicked, tasered, OC sprayed the dog, or whacked it with a baton, all those reactions would have been characterised as unjustified and too much force. Had the officer turned around and run, he'd be an armed coward running from a dog and not doing his job.

What could the officer have possibly done in this situation that would have pleased anyone involved?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Yeah, I guess a person in a police uniform is a home invader... smh. Your anti-police comments are entertaining
smile.gif

Police indeed dress like thugs and home invaders these days. That's not in dispute. I know you think the all black looks cool but it belongs in rap videos and spy movies.

On this, we agree.

I'm tired of the "tacti-cool/SWAT" look adopted by regular police...are they at war, that they need combat gear all the time? Who would they be at war with? Their interactions are principally with the public...and that means they're at war with us, perhaps?

With the limited info so far, this is the biggest issue I see.

He apparently went up to the door to let the woman know her car door was open, so this was probably a very unexpected visit, and it looks like he's wearing plain clothes...a t-shirt and what looks like jeans.

If I see someone coming up to my house in plain, dressed down (not professional) clothes, I am not going to assume "oh, it's just the police coming to tell me something." I'm going to immediately be suspicious about why this unknown person in jeans and a t-shirt is coming up to my door unexpectedly.

Without audio, there's no way to tell if he announced who he was.

Not enough info to clearly say who is more at fault, but I think at least this department should evaluate their protocols for making "welfare check" type visits in plain clothes. Maybe if the officer had been in uniform, and/or announced his presence differently, this whole thing might have been avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back