Florida cop shoots dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee wiz people! Get a grip! The woman was mentoring a rescue dog. When she opened the door, the dog jumped out. Who knows why. She should have restrained the dog, but.. she had no idea who was at the door, and she didn't expect the dog to do what it did. The police officer had no idea if he was being attacked or slobbered on. I have no issue with the officer. He made a reflex decision. He first retreated, then defended himself. The whole deal lasted in no more then a second. Put your self in the officers place. What would you have done???

What kind of irresponsible person opens the door without first restraining the dog?

I'm as much a dog lover as you are likely to find outside of a cult. I also appreciate that many people don't like or are even terrified of dogs. My dog never leaves my property without a leash. She is never left outside without my supervision. Never.

When a stranger comes to the door, she goes nuts. If I need to open the door,she gets put in another room. Otherwise, the door stays closed and I tell that person to get lost.

The video says she was fostering the dog. That tells me she likely did not know this dog very well and probably did not expect it to rush past her like that. Her irresponsibility. Not just for the safety of the animal but for that of the person ringing the bell as well.

Can't really blame the cop for his actions. I'm not convinced that cops are supposed to be animal psychologists. If he had kicked the door in and shot the dog, that would be one thing. He knocked on the door and she answered. It was her responsibility to properly restrain the dog. It's a shame the animal had to die like that, but that woman is the one I'm blaming at this point. Scatterbrain opens the door and the unrestrained dog rushes past. The same kind of airhead that leaves her car door wide open after parking the car.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth
What kind of irresponsible person opens the door without first restraining the dog?

I'm as much a dog lover as you are likely to find outside of a cult. I also appreciate that many people don't like or are even terrified of dogs. My dog never leaves my property without a leash. She is never left outside without my supervision. Never.

When a stranger comes to the door, she goes nuts. If I need to open the door,she gets put in another room. Otherwise, the door stays closed and I tell that person to get lost.

The video says she was fostering the dog. That tells me she likely did not know this dog very well and probably did not expect it to rush past her like that. Her irresponsibility. Not just for the safety of the animal but for that of the person ringing the bell as well.

Can't really blame the cop for his actions. I'm not convinced that cops are supposed to be animal psychologists. If he had kicked the door in and shot the dog, that would be one thing. He knocked on the door and she answered. It was her responsibility to properly restrain the dog. It's a shame the animal had to die like that, but that woman is the one I'm blaming at this point. Scatterbrain opens the door and the unrestrained dog rushes past. The same kind of airhead that leaves her car door wide open after parking the car.

I agree with this post. And by the way I really like dogs myself.

I have neighbors who had a dog a while back and that dog was just allowed to roam freely. A man and woman were walking down the street one day and the dog bite the woman. Those people who owned that dog got into trouble over that. A person does have a responsibility to make sure that their pets do not attack another person.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth

Well said.

And kudos to you for recognizing that though you are a dog lover, others may react differently. Respecting other's feelings and opinions goes a long way compared to just expecting them to agree with your viewpoint.

I think you make a good point that the dog owner is a little too relaxed but that doesn't make her a bad person. In the video she even said that she didn't want the officer to get into any trouble over this. Sounded like she even felt bad for her part in what happened.

The cop seems like a nice person as well. 8 commendations and the only negative on his record is a hit and run with a mailbox! Perhaps the poor man is easily frightened. I mean why would you run away from the scene of knocking over a mailbox! It may explain why he shot so readily. It was also mentioned that he was a former detention officer. Perhaps being a cop is too much excitement for him after such a mundane job.

Did the police officer overreact, don't know, maybe. All I know that the people who own the dog should have kept control of their animal. Some dogs have attacked strangers at a home, the police officer might have just been defending himself.

Let the powers that be make the decision and not social media(social media can be dumb).

It's very unfortunate, but the fault lies in my opinion with the dog's owner for letting the dog out. If I have an unkown dog come at me like this I would not risk giving it the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what the dog is going to do.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Originally Posted By: tcp71
The dog is not being controlled by the owner in any way. Unless the yard was closed off with a containing fence, beware of dog signs and a remote doorbell, private property doesn't hold water. What if it had been girl guides selling cookies that the dog went directly after. Even just being curious can cause someone to fall and hit their head, causing death.

Having a pitbull coming directly for your crotch will cause self defense instincts. When directly threatened the police are taught to kill the attacker, not shoot for their legs or something.

Amen, I gots to stand behind the cop on this one,

Question: Next time I am in the park or front yard and neighbors dog run tome to take a sniff of my crotch, what should I do? empty my glock 10 mm at the dog? run away? call the police?

Pet him on the head, scratch his ears and tell him he is a good boy - he is just saying hello.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
"The dog was on its own property" , do you people realize how ignorant that statement is? and I am a dog lover, we have 6 large breed dogs, German shepherds and 2 Golden retrievers, nobody is afraid of them because they are trained and they don't charge people, why idiots always attracted to bulldogs "mixes", the most untrainable dogs on earth, couple that with a pit bull and this was inevitable . the cop reacted how he should have.

Bulldogs are every trainable. Even pitbulls it takes an owner that cares and dog owners have to be in control of their dogs at all times. This idiot in this example obliviously has no idea how to train and control her dog.

I had a large female Boxer mix run up on me from behind, barking and moving QUICK. I turned around, squared up on it and she ran back in the house just as fast as she came towards me. The dumb-dumb lady owner was on the porch watering plants and didn't do squat.

Also had a female pit mix come running up on me as I'm walking on the sidewalk. This thing looked mean. Luckily, the owner was in tow saying she's friendly and her tail was wagging. She sniffed my leg and everything was fine. I've seen this dog before being walked and my first impression of it was....vicious. Whew close one.

I see plenty of dogs that aren't trained at all, just existing. I don't understand owners like that, but hope they wouldn't have any kids.
Our long time mailman of many years ago carried a spray bottle of ammonia and any loose dog that got too close got a shot. He said he never had any problems with that dog again. We had very few loose or untrained dogs tho.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Gee wiz people! Get a grip! The woman was mentoring a rescue dog. When she opened the door, the dog jumped out. Who knows why. She should have restrained the dog, but.. she had no idea who was at the door, and she didn't expect the dog to do what it did. The police officer had no idea if he was being attacked or slobbered on. I have no issue with the officer. He made a reflex decision. He first retreated, then defended himself. The whole deal lasted in no more then a second. Put your self in the officers place. What would you have done???

It was poor decision and negligence on the dog owner's part.
It does NOT matter who is at the door.
There are people are who have allergies to dogs/cats/vampires etc.
Letting your animal go about and sniff strangers or lick them is negligent.

" Pit bull charges officer and cop defends himself" there fixed it for you, That's a PIT BULL mix, and yes it charged the officer, these dogs are viscous and not terribly bright, two just KILLED a 5 year old kid in Texas just a few days ago, tore him to shreds, Florida+pit bull mixes+idiot owners= this.

Officer did exactly what he should have done to defend himself, the owner should NOT have let the dog in a situation where it could run at large, EVEN ON HER OWN PROPERTY. That's right, in many areas you cannot let a dog out of control on your own property.

Jesus- what a bunch of idiots making wild [censored] assumptions in this thread!

I mean REALLY?!?!?! Do you guys honestly think she "sicked" the dog on the cop? Give me a break! She works sheltering dogs people. Did she make a stupid move by not keeping the dog in? Yup. Did she "sick" the dog on the cop? SERIOUSLY doubt it!

IF and this a big IF... the dog was going to attack, a boot would have been my first choice. I've done it before on an English Bulldog that was coming for our Black Lab/Newfie mix. After I rocked the dog back with the first boot, he still wasn't entirely convinced. However the second did the job and he wanted no more of my dog.

You melodramatic yahoos need to take a chill pill!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Jesus- what a bunch of idiots making wild [censored] assumptions in this thread!

I mean REALLY?!?!?! Do you guys honestly think she "sicked" the dog on the cop? Give me a break! She works sheltering dogs people. Did she make a stupid move by not keeping the dog in? Yup. Did she "sick" the dog on the cop? SERIOUSLY doubt it!

IF and this a big IF... the dog was going to attack, a boot would have been my first choice. I've done it before on an English Bulldog that was coming for our Black Lab/Newfie mix. After I rocked the dog back with the first boot, he still wasn't entirely convinced. However the second did the job and he wanted no more of my dog.

Others do NOT owe you consideration because you can't control your animals, others have no obligation to consider whether or not a strange animal is going to attack them or just jump up on their leg and say hello. So many self centered pet owners today, have no concept of personal responsibility which includes considering such things I mentioned.

Again like others rightly mentioned the woman was not familiar with the animal she was working with and should have had enough sense to restrain that dog BEFORE she opened the door. Totally her fault and her responsibility.

Again, in many localities you CANNOT let your dog run at large ANYWHERE, including on your own property.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Others do NOT owe you consideration because you can't control your animals, others have no obligation to consider whether or not a strange animal is going to attack them or just jump up on their leg and say hello. So many self centered pet owners today, have no concept of personal responsibility which includes considering such things I mentioned.

Again like others rightly mentioned the woman was not familiar with the animal she was working with and should have had enough sense to restrain that dog BEFORE she opened the door. Totally her fault and her responsibility.

Again, in many localities you CANNOT let your dog run at large ANYWHERE, including on your own property.

Are you an idiot or just purposely ignoring parts of my post and trolling me?

I did say she was an idiot for not restraining her dog... did I not? I also DID NOT say that the cop owed her anything and should have immediately kneeled down to pet "Fluffy".

Last edited:
35.gif
How did I miss this thread?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
In this video, the dog was visible for less than a second. The view was partially blocked by the officer's body. There was no sound. We don't see the dog before it comes out. We don't know why the officer was there.

The dog was moving quickly, toward the officer and got within a foot or two. The officer fired. That's all we can really see from the clip.

How, on the basis of that scant information, can you reasonably judge that dog's behavior? Without being able to clearly see the dog's actions?

The officer had a clear view. The officer could hear the dog. The officer saw what happened in the seconds prior to the dog coming through the door.

And we still haven't heard the officer's side of the story. We've been presented one side of the story. That doesn't give us the tools to judge.

I basically agree.

The dog came out of the house very fast and charged towards the officer. Not being able to hear if the dog was whining like a happy dog, or growling like a dog on the attack, I can't say what the dog's intent was. I can only go by the dog bursting out of the door and making a beeline as fast as it could towards the officer. To me based on that it appears it was an aggressive move not curiosity.

My dog for instance goes absolutely NUTS when someone shows up. She is a friendly dog like none other( Black Lab ). However, it is very clear she is friendly and not being aggressive. While she moves quickly to the person she is whining/yipping( happy noises ), she approaches almost half crouched down with her ears down( submissive act not aggressive ), and her tail is wagging so fast and hard it basically swings her butt side to side as well. She even sort of runs back and forth between the person and me she is so excited to see someone that she doesn't know where to go. Even the most inexperienced person with dogs could tell she is just happy to see them. The dog in the video bursts from the door and charges at full speed towards the officer. I see no signs of being friendly just a full on charge. Not saying the dog was attacking just that it is something I can understand the officer believing at least based on visual evidence.

I do have a couple questions I would like to know about though...?

1 - why was the officer there? Was he there just to ask a question or for a complaint( about the dog maybe? ), warrant, etc... Was he prepared for some type of violence from the inhabitants prior to knocking on the door? His bearing to me was one of an officer expecting something to happen above and beyond normal procedure.

2 - why did the homeowner let the dog loose? You NEVER let your dog loose like that with a stranger and especially with an LEO. You secure the dog before opening the door. Homeowner bears some responsibility due to that.

3 - why was the dog being fostered? Was it a stray, was it a dog given up because the previous owner couldn't afford to keep it or fix some type of illness/injury, or could this have possibly been an aggressive dog in rehabilitation?

I love my dogs like they were my kids and I would be devastated if my dog was killed. With that sad though, from what little I see in the video, the officer appeared to be defending himself from a dog charging him. I see no wrong doing with the little I know. Even if the dog was friendly and just "curious" as the owner said the way it charged the officer doesn't portray that kind of friendly response. It portrays an aggressive one.

The homeowner should have secured that dog prior to opening the door. You holler to the officer I am putting my dog away and then you do that before opening the door. You don't open the door and let the dog out.

Last edited:
I love when the liberal media uses bulldog mix instead of pit mix, and yes that stupid dog charged the cop.

Thought the same thing myself. The 2nd I saw the photo it was clear this was a Pitbull at least in part.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I sympathize with both sides; cops have a tough job and the dog was doing what comes naturally. Homeowner should have told the cop the dog was friendly, etc etc.

IMO it comes down to the amount of force required for the situation, a recurring theme with police. Small dog like that could have easily been fended off with a shoe. Gun required? Don't think so; but then the officer might have been scared of dogs, or unfamiliar enough with them to not know an attack vs an inquisitive friendly dog - both look the same to non dog owners.

Shame either way.

The homeowner should have secured the dog in a crate or another room before opening the door is what they should have done.

You clearly have no clue about how violent and dangerous Pitbulls and Pit mixes are. That dog would take a lot more than a shoe to fend off if in fact it was attacking as it "looks" like it was.

Pitbulls/Pit mixes of that size can and most likely have killed people. Once a Pitbull( pure or mixed )gets worked up into attack mode and their victim struggles/fights back they get even more aggressive and try to kill. The officer could have been seriously maimed or even worse( femoral artery in leg - can bleed out quickly ). Not meant offensive but the comment you made is just crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back