floor jack

40 plus year old floor jack can't really make out the complete name but looks to be at least American something or another anyway was my dads who passed away and while using it the jack would slowly start to go down so I thought I would bleed it, maybe add more fluid if needed ..now the jack won't pump up pass halfway and the oil looks black after adding a bit ..bled the air what seemed like 25 -30 times and still getting air bubbles out of the filler hole...time to scrap the jack or is there still hope ?

Seals are likely shot. If it is an American-made jack, it is likely worth rebuilding and you can usually find seals. There is a very helpful guy (username Hiball) on the GarageJournal forum for advice on floor jack rebuilding.

Those are classic symptoms that it is time for a rebuild. I did mine and it's not too hard, just take your time and watch for ball bearings falling out and rolling away. Parts kits are available from hrcnow dot com.

If you can't identify it, post a few sharp clear pictures on garage journal in the jack thread, and the helpful people where will identify it in milliseconds.

Back