Floor jack hard to move. Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys - I have a Duralast 2 1/2 ton floor jack that has been giving me trouble free service for years now. It wasn't until recently that I have been having issues turning the shaft that allows it to jack up and releasing the pressure. I tried some penetrating lube at the end of it but it seems to get stuck and requires a lot of strength to turn. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can alleviate this? I was thinking of changing the jack fluid anyways but I don't feel that will fix it.

My last old floor jack that did that and I got a new one. I figured something had to break or jam to make it hard to turn and I didn't trust it anymore.

That "screw" you turn to release pressure can be threaded all the way out without any issues. Do this and check if there is anything obstructing it. There may be a small check ball inside.

I recently changed the oil in my Craftsman China Jack and had to drain and fill via that hole since it didn't have a service port.

The steel they use in a lot of those Chinese jacks is terrible. If you take it apart you might find a piece that is strangely worn.

I had a Mikel's jack [kind of like Harbor Freight, but in Mexico] that quit working after being overloaded after 2 or 3 years of use. I took it apart to fix it and pretty much everything, even the wheel spindles and wheels were completely worn out from uneven wear.

Doesn't Duralast have a lifetime warranty or something like that?

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
The steel they use in a lot of those Chinese jacks is terrible. If you take it apart you might find a piece that is strangely worn.

I had a Mikel's jack [kind of like Harbor Freight, but in Mexico] that quit working after being overloaded after 2 or 3 years of use. I took it apart to fix it and pretty much everything, even the wheel spindles and wheels were completely worn out from uneven wear.

Doesn't Duralast have a lifetime warranty or something like that?

1 year warranty. probably because they know they are garbage. I am going to take out the screw nut and check out the inside. I am also going to drain and fill the fluid.

As other have said you need to take it apart and check out the threading. Being low on fluid would not cause this kind of problem.

I found a used 3 ton floor jack on CL for about what HF sells them for but the one I got is a professional jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back