Flooding in California.

I always was suspicious of whether the "rinseless car wash" stuff is actually good for your environment and whether it actually works. How do you like them?
Why would it matter? Because nothing is good for the environment. Even the environment isn't good for the environment.

I always was suspicious of whether the "rinseless car wash" stuff is actually good for your environment and whether it actually works. How do you like them?
2 gallons of water per wash. @The Critic turned me on to ONR - Optimum No Rinse.
2 people can warsh a car in 5 to 10 minutes. No hose, no cleanup. Easy peasy.
Yes, it works and it works very well.

I've been using ONR since... I don't even remember, probably 2010 maybe even earlier and that was in Canada where there is plenty of water. It's a fantastic cleaning product, water savings are just an added bonus IMO. It's really great on chrome.

A friend of mine is a classic car guy and recently we got to talking about car washing, specifically chrome and I mentioned ONR to him since it works great on my motorcycles with lots of chrome. He never heard of it.
I gave few ounces to him to try out and after one wash he went out and bought a gallon of this stuff.

Yes, it works and it works very well.

I've been using ONR since... I don't even remember, probably 2010 maybe even earlier and that was in Canada where there is plenty of water. It's a fantastic cleaning product, water savings are just an added bonus IMO. It's really great on chrome.

A friend of mine is a classic car guy and recently we got to talking about car washing, specifically chrome and I mentioned ONR to him since it works great on my motorcycles with lots of chrome. He never heard of it.
I gave few ounces to him to try out and after one wash he went out and bought a gallon of this stuff.
My friend with the BMW i8 only uses ONR.

If that doesn’t work, the entire article is reposted here without a subscription (or limited free articles) required.

2000.jpeg

Houseboats float on Lake Oroville on Oct. 25, 2021, in Oroville, Calif. (AP Photo/Noah Berger

2000.jpeg

Houseboats float near Lake Oroville's Bidwell Bar Bridge at on Sunday, March 26 2023, in Butte County, Calif. (AP Photo/Noah Berger)

I left a "gifted" article with my subscription. I don't know exactly how gifting an article works other than I have limits. They never said that there are any restrictions to where I can post a link or how many reads there are, but I do have a limit to the number I can provide per period.

There are some worries that the reformed Tulare Lake might swallow up California State Prison, Corcoran. Maybe Kettleman City which I've used as a stop on I-5. Probably won't reach Hanford or Lemoore. The flooding is being held back by levees though.

tularelake0408_desktop_GR.jpg

Last edited:
They have cut back the outflow to the Tule River from Lake Success, looks like a creek . ;)

Since the beginning of recorded history California has had a drough then flood cycly. I remember the 1980s Russian River flooding and all the rain the SF Bay Area received.

We used to have friends that lived in Guerneville. They told us how the flooding had affected them. Since their home was on one of those small hills in the area they stayed high and dry but they were surrounded by flooding thus cut off.

This is going to be especially hard to figure out though.

There are a ton of variables. How long it lasts is the big one. A day or two of snowmelt might spare the region. Beyond that it starts getting ominous.

We call it the Pineapple Express. It looks like a firehose coming from Hawaii aimed at us.

In many cases we get the warm weather and heavy rains and as soon as a new low from the north pushes it out of the way the snow starts back up.

There are a ton of variables. How long it lasts is the big one. A day or two of snowmelt might spare the region. Beyond that it starts getting ominous.

We call it the Pineapple Express. It looks like a firehose coming from Hawaii aimed at us.

In many cases we get the warm weather and heavy rains and as soon as a new low from the north pushes it out of the way the snow starts back up.

It's going to be tricky how to time when to release water from reservoirs for flood control. Some of the snowmelt is predicted to be well over what the reservoirs can hold.

Yosemite National Park will close off Yosemite Valley on Friday due to a risk of flooding due to unseasonably warm temperatures and the heavy snowpack. I suppose it could be similar to the 1996-1997 floods that rose about 25-30 feet over typical water levels.

Update (April 25): Most of Yosemite Valley will close starting Friday, April 28, at 10 pm, due to a forecast of flooding. This closure will be in place until Wednesday, May 3, but could last longer. Reservations for lodging and campgrounds in eastern Yosemite Valley will automatically be canceled and refunded. Wilderness permits can be rescheduled to alternate trailheads as space allows.​

YOSE-Flood-Closure-20230427.jpg

Here’s video of that earlier flooding.

This isn't quite California, but to some degree all we're talking about is lines on a map. The Truckee River runs through Reno and they expect that it's going to be raging as well as really, really cold. There are going to be people who are tempted to take a dip on a hot day and the hot temps are both melting the snow faster, but it's still melted snow that close to freezing temperature. That happens a lot in Yosemite, where muscles freeze and some people have even tried swimming and saw a cardiac condition from the cold temps.

It looks like they have been draining Millerton and Pine Flat Dam anticipating a huge snowmelt. The southern Sierras snowpack measures well over 3 times what is normal for this date.

Back