Flooded engine - what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I flooded the engine (carb'd) accidentally last nite and this morning I got a hard-to-start condition... the engine oil was pitch black on the dipstick.

I went out and drove it to operating temperature so that I'd burn off any moisture and excess fuel - do I need to change out the oil?

Yes, I would change the oil ASAP. It could have and in all probability was contiminated with some fuel. You just can't take a chance that you oil will last very long.

If your sense of smell is good, you can remove the dipstick and smell?

[ January 01, 2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

I checked the oil before last night and the oil was relatively clean.

This mornin the bottom was all black - and it definitely smelled "rich"

Look at the bright side, it looks like you have some carbon build up that was removed by soaking the cylinders in gas
smile.gif

I would drain the oil. If you think this is a frequent occurance then I would use dino so that you aren't wasting a bunch of money on synthetic if you need to drain again.

So the black stuff wasn't the fuel mixing with the oil - just carbon deposits that were removed from the pistons?
smile.gif

The proper 'color' of oil can only be checked when warm/hot. ie. don't look at it first thing in the morning...if it's still light-medium brown when hot, it's probably still good. That is, from my experience, oil is darker when cold than warm/hot...could be some of the "contaminants" burn off as you drive...

Disclaimer: I know, I know...Never use oil color as indication of oil quality.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
So the black stuff wasn't the fuel mixing with the oil - just carbon deposits that were removed from the pistons?
smile.gif

Black color is from carbon, but I don't know if the fuel in the oil will turn black when it get's hot or simply evaporate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back