Flickering oil light

Hello...oil light flickers when engine is hot...only when almost stopped or idling...did a oil change and it stopped flickering...only for it to come back just before next oil change at 5000 miles..changed again and stopped flickering only to start again now at 4000 miles...Hyundai tuscon 2018...always plenty of oil in it...any thoughts???

If you are using the correct specified oil viscosity most likely an oil pressure sensor going out of value otherwise your engine might be like a firefly. They flicker too when they get hot.

1614906416154.jpg

Yeah the pressure is too low. Could be the sensor could be the wrong oil. You mentioned changing the oil so probably the sensor. By sensor I mean oil sending unit.

Last edited:
You said always has plenty of oil but always double check the level if the light comes on. Next would probably be a sending unit. Could be the actual sending unit, or something with the connector to the sending unit, almost broken wire, or ground or something like that. If all that checks out, than maybe something internal like worn bearings. In theory the pressure could drop too low if the engine oil gets too hot, but that usually isn't a problem in a stock engine using the factory recommended oil viscosity. Take it to a shop and have them take a look.

Will be doing that....just odd that it clears up..no flickering oil light...
after oil change only to come back thousands of miles later

Makes me wonder if fuel dilution is reducing the viscosity towards the end of the OCI? If you are using 5w20, maybe try 5w30 for the next fill.

Hello...oil light flickers when engine is hot...only when almost stopped or idling...did a oil change and it stopped flickering...only for it to come back just before next oil change at 5000 miles..changed again and stopped flickering only to start again now at 4000 miles...Hyundai tuscon 2018...always plenty of oil in it...any thoughts???
Are you using OEM or WIX/NAPA Gold filters? If not, I would advise to go get one or the other.

I had a very similar situation many years ago. The vehicle was a 1991 Ford Ranger 3.0 Vulcan. A FRAM Orange Can was the cause. I never had that problem with a FL-400s or a NAPA Gold 1516.

Back