flexible solar panels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solar panels really are not worth while at this time. I'm not saying they are a bad thing but.. They have a long way to go. How it currently stands your lucky if they pay for themselves.

We looked into dollar panels in the past. It was nearly $2000 (in panels alone) to run a single 5k but window a/c while it also coated a good bit for wiring and storage battery's.

Only time I would personally recommend solar panels is if you have a cabin in the middle of no where.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Solar panels really are not worth while at this time. I'm not saying they are a bad thing but.. They have a long way to go. How it currently stands your lucky if they pay for themselves.

We looked into dollar panels in the past. It was nearly $2000 (in panels alone) to run a single 5k but window a/c while it also coated a good bit for wiring and storage battery's.

Only time I would personally recommend solar panels is if you have a cabin in the middle of no where.

Running batteries doesn't always make sense. Tying into the grid is a better option if you are considering adding them to your home. Most utilities will buy back excess capacity.

they are getting better. if you live somewhere sunny,

you can put in a 2KW system pretty cheap.. It makes money all day and the energy company should buy it.

Its getting to the point where it actually can be a good deal.

but I'd put my money on it being much better in 5 years or so.

The secret here is you arent running 20 car batteries in a room somewhere.

you design it to be connected to the utility as well.

Last edited:
Lots of people use them on RV's to maintain their battery charge when camping and not hooked up to AC. Not sure why the other posters are talking about use on a home. There are lots of types of charge/controllers, panels, etc. Do lots of research before buying.

If you want good advice, go to an RV forum for this type of topic.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm

Lots of people here use them. Search there and ask there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back