Flex Hone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who makes good quality 10 mm flex hones, and what's a good place where to find them besides online?

Also, what type flex hone, in terms of abrasive medium, would work best on hard aluminum alloy? I'm shooting for a very fine finish that can then be polished to a mirror finish.

I am considering using strips of a Scotch Brite pad jammed into a slotted 1/4 wooden dowel chucked into a cordless drill -- as has been done with success by some. However, a flex hone would make this much easier compared to dealing with a macguyvered tool.

even though it is not exactly what you are asking, Mcmaster-carr has ball hones in 10mm up from 120 to 600 grit. good luck finding anything locally in that size.

aluminum can easily be abraded by aluminum oxide or silicon carbide.

I see a 10 mm flexible cylinder hone (SiC) for about $14 at McM-C. I think medium and fine will do.

I bought a 10 mm flex hone from some online place for $9. It's the same brand (BRM "Flex-Hone") everybody else seems to carry. Those are little silicone balls, impregnated with abrasive particles.

10mm_flexhone.jpg

Whoa, look at that distortion and color fringing! I really ought to use my canikoleicolymsonic next time!
wink.gif

On the packaging it says they make those flex hones from 4 mm to 914 mm diameter. 914 mm is a whopping 36 inches! Not big enough for a really large marine diesel engine, I'm afraid.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
On the packaging it says they make those flex hones from 4 mm to 914 mm diameter. 914 mm is a whopping 36 inches! Not big enough for a really large marine diesel engine, I'm afraid.
grin2.gif

Yah they probably just have a guy climb in the cylinder and scuff it up by hand.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back