Fleetguard Stratapore vs. Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, been using the Fleetguard Stratapore in my Cummins with Delvac and I was just curious as to if the Fram Ultra would be that much worse of a filter?

I get the Fleetgaurd for right around $20 from either my local Cummins or Geno's Garage. The Fram XG3976A is $10.97 at my local Walmart.

OCI is usually about 6,000 miles.

fleetguard stratapore for cummins (or wix when i dont have time to go to the cummins dealer which is 40 miles away) oil and fuel

powerstroke only motorcraft oil and fuel

dmax ac delco oil and fuel

just my suggestions

For a 6k mile change interval, the Fram is OK. Fram had to pay for some Cummins engines a number of years back that failed due to filter problems. They leaned on Fram to change their designs for Cummins' engines, so those Fram filters are actually quite good. There was an oil filter story in the TurboDiesel Register a couple of years ago, and they cut apart a bunch of filters. The Fleetguards were the best: metal end caps, wire-backed media, coil spring-loaded filter element, low restriction oil feed plate. The basic Fram filter also had a coil spring-loaded element.

Originally Posted By: clintonhutson
Ok guys, been using the Fleetguard Stratapore in my Cummins with Delvac and I was just curious as to if the Fram Ultra would be that much worse of a filter?

FRAM Ultra is rated for 15k OCIs. And it's filtering specs are the best out there for a full synthetic filter.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
For a 6k mile change interval, the Fram is OK. Fram had to pay for some Cummins engines a number of years back that failed due to filter problems. They leaned on Fram to change their designs for Cummins' engines, so those Fram filters are actually quite good. There was an oil filter story in the TurboDiesel Register a couple of years ago, and they cut apart a bunch of filters. The Fleetguards were the best: metal end caps, wire-backed media, coil spring-loaded filter element, low restriction oil feed plate. The basic Fram filter also had a coil spring-loaded element.

Agreed! I know the OCOD is a big NO NO on these motors...but I have been using the Fram Ultra in every other vehicle I change oil on. So I was just curious as to if the Fram synthetic media is up to par with the Fleetguard media.

Originally Posted By: daman
Back in '09 i dissected one comparing it to a AC Delco,you can see the FG has good media.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1494444/AC_UPF-52_and_Fleetguard_3554_

6k on this filter would be a walk in the park,10,000 would be more like it. Stick with the FG IMO.

When I did a search I came across your post...does like like quite a stout filter. Only reason I change it at 6,000 is because I work literally a mile from my house, and with all of my fueling mods, I worry about fuel dilution.

I do drive a few hundred miles every weekend though.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

FRAM Ultra is rated for 15k OCIs. And it's filtering specs are the best out there for a full synthetic filter.

I know the Stratapore at 30 microns is 100% efficient, and at 25 microns they are 98.7% efficient. 60% efficient at 10 microns.

Also I've heard the flow #'s are outstanding on the Stratapore...since the Cummins really moves some oil.

Not sure what the Ultra #'s are. Could anyone help me out?

And no way I would run any filter in this truck out to 15,000 because of fuel dilution as stated. Not that the filter would be the issue, but if I'm changing the oil, I'm changing the filter as well.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I know the Stratapore at 30 microns is 100% efficient, and at 25 microns they are 98.7% efficient. 60% efficient at 10 microns.

Also I've heard the flow #'s are outstanding on the Stratapore...since the Cummins really moves some oil.

Not sure what the Ultra #'s are. Could anyone help me out?

The Ultra is 99% @ 20 microns, so it is more efficient than the Stratoapore spec you listed above (98.7% @ 25 microns). Also means the Ultra is probably also better across the particle size spectrum. The Ultra will flow very well since it's full synthetic media, and it should flow more than enough for any engine it's specified for.

And no way I would run any filter in this truck out to 15,000 because of fuel dilution as stated. Not that the filter would be the issue, but if I'm changing the oil, I'm changing the filter as well.

Yes, the filter could probably take it as it is rated for 15K intervals. The oil on the other hand it another issue as you've stated.

there are very few aftermarket filters recommended for the cummins us. i would either stick with mopar or fleetguard. why risk that engine to save to save a few bucks.

I don't have my Dodge any more but I was getting a good price on Fleetguard oil and fuel filters at an International truck dealer. Was a little under Geno's at mine. Had to pay tax but it worked out better buying 1 at a time. The Geno's price point should get a little better if you buy 2 or 3 to spread out the shipping costs over more filters. You can get good prices on Wix filters through Rockauto.com.

I have extra Stratapores that I bought for my Ram (believe they're LF16035s), if anybody has any interest I'll sell them cheap-I have a bunch of Bosch D+, RP filters, NAPA Platinums, even a venturi Baldwin that I'm going to try. PM me & I'll make you a GREAT deal on them! I only put 3-4K a year on my Ram, so the body will likely go before I use them all.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I have extra Stratapores that I bought for my Ram (believe they're LF16035s), if anybody has any interest I'll sell them cheap-I have a bunch of Bosch D+, RP filters, NAPA Platinums, even a venturi Baldwin that I'm going to try. PM me & I'll make you a GREAT deal on them! I only put 3-4K a year on my Ram, so the body will likely go before I use them all.

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but it reminds me of an exchange I had with one of my Dodge driving friends. I was out of town and needed a dealer item so I went to the Dodge dealer in a PHX suburb. They had an ISB engine on a stand in their parts dept. I forget the price but my wallet screamed and started running away. Snapped a pic and sent it to my friend and said that was the dumbest thing to be advertising there and what they should offer was a new or rebuilt truck sans engine so that when you wore out your existing truck you could put your still hummin Cummins in it and be in your way. Still miss my Dodge a little.

I would use a Stratapore first, Donaldson Endurance (synthetic) second, and Wix synthetic third.

But I wouldn't be scared of the Fram Ultra "black can of death" in a pinch or if I got one in an oil change deal.

Just bite the bullet and get Geno's to ship you a half dozen Statapores. They are around $14 each in quantity.

Spreads the shipping cost that way.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

But I wouldn't be scared of the Fram Ultra "black can of death" in a pinch or if I got one in an oil change deal.

You do know how the Ultra is constructed and its performance specs, right?
grin.gif

I use FRAM Ultras all the time.

Superior filter as far as I can tell.

That Cummins costs $8000 over the standard RAM engine.

I'd use the Fleetguard Stratapore every time.

Considering Dodge approves of a wide range of filters for the Cummins (& their Mopar cellulose Classic style filter made by Purolator), the Ultra would be a good choice. Unlike the HEUI injection systems on Ford & other makes, which seem to be pickier. Fram has even fixed their Extra Guard problem for the Cummins from years ago, which has very little in common with the passenger car OCOD.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Considering Dodge approves of a wide range of filters for the Cummins (& their Mopar cellulose Classic style filter made by Purolator), the Ultra would be a good choice. Unlike the HEUI injection systems on Ford & other makes, which seem to be pickier. Fram has even fixed their Extra Guard problem for the Cummins from years ago, which has very little in common with the passenger car OCOD.

My thoughts as well. Always like to get a second opinion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back