Fleetguard LF3681 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got one of these today and noticed that the "louvres" look almost closed. Does this seem right? Just want to get a consensus to determine if this is ok to use?

Thanks!

It's fine. I've seen this on the same China/Korea filter you have pictured, and on Hastings filters. Never had a problem on any of them.

Second thought about the louvers. (deleted my first comment)

Has anyone ever added up the surface area of all those slits and calculated the pressure drop across them?

The slits look small but I bet the flow plenty since there are so many of them. Far less restrictive than the filter itself.

The slits should stay clean since the filter will catch anything that would plug them.

Last edited:
Too closed up for my taste. Seen many examples of well formed louvers much wider opened than these.

Some people seem very upset with the louvres vs nice round holes. But what's the flow rate and is there really any significant restriction of flow since there seem to be many more of them?

Last edited:
I have always liked the idea of louvres. However, I have seen better formed louvres than what is posted here. I would want a little more opening. Thanks for the post.

I don't think its Puralator. It says "Made in Mexico" which was somewhat disappointing. It doesn't have the traditional date code to indicate Puralator.

Not aware who makes this FG, but overall construction pics, coo, and non Puro date code would indicate not Puro made. Recently another FG posted was made by Champ Labs. Don't think that's the case here though either.

As for louvers, your call. Seen more open ones, however also seen ones that didn't look open down the center tube and once media removed showed plenty of total opening area.

I'd say if in doubt or bothers you, take it back, use something else.

There is another set of holes facing the other way. I cut open a Delco I was uncomfortable with, about like these louvers, and it was actually fine. Probably it is a judgement call. Here is a filter cut open that shows the narrow gap between can and element in the first two pictures. By eye the gap probably looks too small. When calculated it should be fine.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4555425/Fram_Ultra_XG7317_-_12,049_mil#Post4555425

There is nothing wrong with that filter. I see about 60 visible louvers, give or take in pic1. A little less than 1/2 of the tube visible, so what, over 200 slits in the top half alone? Ever see how much fluid can escape a pinhole with 60 pounds of pressure on it?
I'm always surprised when folks question a leading filter manufacturer like FleetGuard. if there was a genereal problem with louvered center tubes, engines would by dying every day, all across the nation.
The Donaldson on my PSD has the same construction. I'm good with it.

I had the same doubt about a Purolator Boss center tube, but when I poured oil through it, it went through like a sieve. Under pressure, it would have been a deluge through it.

"beanoil", thanks for the input and advice. I'm not sure why your surprised when folks question things. This website/forum is full of questions about various topics. I'm sure its in the interest of gaining knowledge.

BTW, the "leading filter manufacturer like "FleetGuard" can't even validate the correct oil filter for my application. They keep telling me to use a different oil filter that clearly based on specifications will not work for my vehicle. I have provided all the data required within reason. Glad I questioned them....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back