Fleetguard LF3487 2yr 3mos 22,747 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This particular LF3487 was put into transmission service in a '97 Corolla with a Aisin 3spd automatic running Dexron VI. These 3 speeds do not share fluid with the differential. 189,007 total miles.

This was a test of the setup, to see how far I could take this filter and how the trans would behave with it during the cold months. The amount of high mileage units around is a testament to these trannys not really seeming to care how much metal floats around in the fluid. The remote mount is downstream of the radiator, the filter is in a vertical position (threads facing up). It's tucked into the wheel well where the air silencer once resided. The test was cut short, was hoping for 30K, as the bottom of the filter corroded through causing a pinhole leak. Need to move out of the rust belt...

There was a considerable amount of corrosion on the lip, however, the seam still appeared to be intact.
IMG_20141012_183512.jpg

The bottom sides of the can had corrosion at some sort of seam, one area looked pretty bad.
IMG_20141012_183449.jpg

The source of my leak was the bottom of the can, a pinhole from two years of corrosion. Glad to see that it wasn't my plumbing for the remote mount.
IMG_20141012_183500.jpg

Appears to be a nitrile ADBV, felt soft and pliable.
IMG_20141012_184054.jpg

The microglass media had a solid feel, the metal tube and endcaps makes it feel very rigid. The media had a slight fabric type appearance, guessing that it likely can hold a large amount of particulate.
IMG_20141012_184159.jpg

IMG_20141012_184118.jpg

These trannys come with a rockcatcher screen so I wasn't to surprised to find a large amount of glitter and clutch material in the fluid that drained off the media.

IMG_20141012_184218.jpg

As mentioned earlier, the mount is positioned in the front wheel well behind the splashgaurds that overlap with the body panels. I don't believe that it's mist as the rest of the metal in that area, including the mount and its hardware, looks better than the rest of the vehicle. Perhaps condensation due to location?

Nice large filter with microglass media. Wish I could have run this out to my planned 30K, in this application it could likely go out further than that. A rust proofing compound is definitely in order for extended runs in rustbelt country. The replacement was coated in Krown T40.

Two years in use; no shame in that filter. I would modify the mounting location. You rustproofed, so time will tell on that modification.

And people are always ragging on me when I brag about the extra strong paint job on the Fram Ultra. The Ultra would work well on this application, designed for just such a thing.

Hey Miller88, no this was an aftermarket mod.

I definitely feel like I got my money out of it. I was honestly expecting a media tear or collapse after that amount of service, never considered corrosion. No fault of the filter it's evidently just a poor, moisture rich, location. I'll have to periodically inspect the new one for corrosion.

Last edited:
Looks excellent. I am considering a remote setup as well.

M1 filters have exceptionally thick cans. Might be worth a look.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

It's not just the can it's also the thickness and quality of the paint on the can. Just like cars, some paint is thicker than other's. I wonder if those fancy paint Thickness meters work on filters?

Sounds like the OP has addressed the rust issue with the new filter with an application of Krown T40 rustproofing.

I wouldn't sacrifice the effectiveness of the Fleetguard for better paint or a thicker can.

The Fram Ultra XG8A is superior to the LF3487

Ultra is 99% @20 microns and 80 %@5 microns

The fleet guard is absolute at 30 microns and 73% @ 10 microns according to what I found.

The media is all from donaldson but the Fram should provide superior in corrosion resistance which sounds like it might be a priority. The fleet guard is a nice filter if you have them stocked up I'd use them though.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

It's not just the can it's also the thickness and quality of the paint on the can. Just like cars, some paint is thicker than other's. I wonder if those fancy paint Thickness meters work on filters?

M1 filters have thick paint too.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
The Fram Ultra XG8A is superior to the LF3487

Ultra is 99% @20 microns and 80 %@5 microns

The fleet guard is absolute at 30 microns and 73% @ 10 microns according to what I found.

The media is all from donaldson but the Fram should provide superior in corrosion resistance which sounds like it might be a priority. The fleet guard is a nice filter if you have them stocked up I'd use them though.

The Donaldson P169071 is 99% @ 22 microns. Where did you get your efficiency for the LF3487? I don't see it listed on the Cummins Filtration site
21.gif

It was listed by another knowledgeable member in another thread on BITOG, hopefully they got it right because I searched hard and it's all I could find.

It was listed by another knowledgeable member in another thread on BITOG, hopefully they got it right because I searched hard and it's all I could find.

Well, if it helps, construction-wise it looks literally identical to the Donaldson one, I would be very surprised if the media was different. I think both are made by Donaldson.

Fleetguard:
FleetguardLF3487-01.jpg

Donaldson:
DonaldsonP169071-01.jpg

Clearly the same filter.

Top notch, no matter the color of the can.

I'm guessing Fleetguard and Donaldson have some joint manufacturing capability?

Ah ha!

The media is originally white! After cutting it open I was wondering if it was white or a gray. Guess that's just all of my Corolla's clutch material, heh. Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back