Fleet/Diesel oils in LPG engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the boards concensus on running 15W40 fleet or diesel oils in forklift engines running LPG? Gas (not gasoline) engine oil seems to have low sulphated ash etc whereas diesel/fleet oils are generally much higher. We are trying to find the best generic oil type to use in combination with anAuto-Rx maintenance dose and some Neways ROIL Gold blended in. Tks...s

Imo and experience heave duty fleet type oils are the absolute best.I have 21 years working on forklifts and such. I have seen engines with over 23,000 hours still running good. these were mitsubishi 2.6 liter engines , nissan 4 and 6 cyl engines and chevrolet 3 liter engines and ford 4 and 6 cyls . These engines were in high usage operation. Airport long term lease, food and computer company, warehouse etc. I think they are the best oils for the money only syn. oils would be better.

I have many customers running "Universal" oils in their entire fleet, including LPG and GNC. I also use it in my Toyota forklift with LPG which I bought used in the U.S. 6 years ago and it's still going strong with daily use. The important features is that it can stand up to the nitration, so a SL/CI-4 is excellent. Better yet if it is group II.

Yes, running Lpg with 100 to 200 hour service intervals. Delo 400 . since ch4? rating fleet oils are great oils.

Sprintman,

The companies I've seen running Amsoil in LPG applications are typically using their 15w-40, HD diesel and Marine oil. So I think you're on the right track with your ideas ....

TooSlick

Hi Bob-Tog, I made it here. first post...I have owned about 5 LPG fuled vehicles. I found that it did not seem to matter which engine oil I used or how the engines were re-built, they all used a little oil which was about a litre every 2000 miles at best. Due to the valve seat recesion problems inherent to gasious fueled engines the oil consumption along with using a medium to high ash oil like an off the shelf HDMO was likely good for the engine in the long run. Where I work there are several one ton crew vans that are LPG fueled and have over one million miles on the original engines. Anyone that has owned or operated a vehicle that is either LPG or natural gas fueled will tell you that the engine oil stays clean for thousands of miles. These vans I mentioned have their oil changed about once every 6 months or around 30,000 miles. In that time and distance the engines would have consumed about 15 litres of oil. In the aviation industry they call that self (oil) changing and is due to the run-loose engine specs of Lycoming, Continental and other brands of air cooled piston engines. The controversy about a high ash oil causing ring-zone deposits and cylinder bore polishing I think is a lot of rubbish. I had to take the heads off one of my V-8 LPG engines because one of the hardened seats dropped. This engine had over 100,000 miles on it and the cross hatch was still evident and visible. The reason (off topic) that aircraft engines specify an ash free engine oil is because they sit at one RPM almost their entire life which causes a distinct pattern in the combustion chamber deposits. The other reason is that if a spark plug fouls and the big air conditioner fails.......

Well that was an interesting post about LPG, oci and which oil to use.
Since the topic came up again this is what the search turned up.

Many industrial engines that run on gas have a very low ash formula.
Maybe the reason for low ash was being discussed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back