Flatus Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can these gases be regulated? Will they impost a flatus tax system?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/18/science/earth/18endanger.html

Flatus is composed mainly of CO2 and methane, which are now considered to endanger public health. Will one now be able to sue someone for letting loose in an elevator? I wonder if legislation concerning these emissions will pass? Maybe it will be done silently, and in secret.

It would just means a lot of coal fired power plants got moved out of the country and into Mexico. Look at Europe, a lot of power plants rise up in the East because the regulation is loose. The West just buy electricity from the East instead of cleaning up and building new plant.

CO2 regulation won't work unless it is a world wide effort.

Quote:
regulation of carbon dioxide emissions would raise energy costs and kill jobs

Yep. And it will just be a matter of time until we get a breathing tax due to the exhaled carbon.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
regulation of carbon dioxide emissions would raise energy costs and kill jobs

Yep. And it will just be a matter of time until we get a breathing tax due to the exhaled carbon.

Quote:
Mr. Bond said, “will do more to endanger families, farmers and workers with new energy taxes and lost jobs than it does to protect the environment.”

Can you tell me how money, reshuffled in the same location, equates to less jobs? What pockets are getting stuffed ..and how come they're not "tinkling down" on the proles (which I believe is your alleged nectar of life, if I read my Tempest correctly)
54.gif

"We can't do what must be done, since it would be unfair
frown.gif
".

Perhaps the same clowns could recommend clear cutting the entire standing US forest as an energy independence initiative. Perhaps reintroduce whaling for lamp oil benefits ..and any number of short sighted stuff that produces profits now and disaster later.

How about a lottery that just tells who to show up at a gas chamber? That should reduce demand and production of lots of stuff. It's better than doing it to everyone worldwide.

Quote:
Can you tell me how money, reshuffled in the same location, equates to less jobs?

If you have to pay more for energy, you have less money to spend and employ people with. Just about everyone in the country realized this when gas went to $4. I guess this effect was lost on you.

Paying people to dig holes and fill them up or building bridges, roads, and airports to no where is not good for the economy. USEFUL things must be produced in order for the economy, and those in it, to prosper.
Paying taxes on a false "pollutant" is not productive, or useful. It does however bring in lots of tax money to a government ravenous for money, however.

Since, under your theory it doesn't matter who spends the money, you should be perfectly happy with energy taxes going up by 500% or so??

Quote:
If you have to pay more for energy, you have less money to spend and employ people with. Just about everyone in the country realized this when gas went to $4. I guess this effect was lost on you.

No, I wasn't exempt. I think your either lost or seriously misinformed (probably just being disingenuous, as usual).

The high energy costs were global and (not really, but) REAL. I paid more for my energy. This would be much different if I paid the same amount with 50% of it being a tax.

Where would THAT money go? How would it not end up in someone's pocket and how would it not employ? Export $750B/month for energy .is a bit different than exporting whatever $$ you do and taxing it domestically.

You should be able to see the difference. Whether or not I'd like the notion is another story ..but this "job loss" is just garbage for the suckers. It will reshuffle the deck a bit, I imagine.

Gary Allan said:
Quote:
but this "job loss" is just garbage for the suckers. It will reshuffle the deck a bit, I imagine.

Sometimes "reshuffling the deck" involves loss of American jobs and an increase in Chinese or Mexican jobs. So you are right. There is no loss of jobs.

Quote:
Where would THAT money go? How would it not end up in someone's pocket and how would it not employ?

So you would have no problem with a 500% tax increase on energy? How about 1000%? If higher taxes create jobs, why not go to 2000%

And you didn't address Pablo's post.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Gary Allan said:
Quote:
but this "job loss" is just garbage for the suckers. It will reshuffle the deck a bit, I imagine.

Sometimes "reshuffling the deck" involves loss of American jobs and an increase in Chinese or Mexican jobs. So you are right. There is no loss of jobs.

If carbon taxes increase costs to American businesses (and they will), you should expect even more jobs going overseas...

Quote:
"Their estimate is that it will cost the average household in the United States between $3,000 and $6,000 per year," he said.

Cope said that is likely a high estimate. But he said if the real cost is even half of the lower end of that range, it will still cost the average household $1,500 a year or about $125 a month.

"That's a $125 increase on every electrical bill on every household in the country," he said. "On our system, the average customer doesn't have a $125 electrical bill."

Data provided by Dalton Utilities shows its average residential power bill is $69.79 a month so a $125 increase would basically triple the average bill.

http://www.windaction.org/news/20842

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Gary Allan said:
Quote:

If carbon taxes increase costs to American businesses (and they will), you should expect even more jobs going overseas...

...err..and our current methods have prevented this?? Aren't you all for "you're worth what you're worth" type attitude
21.gif
If US consumers are too broke to convert as many rickshaw drivers into taxicab drivers ..well, I guess it just sucks to be a rickshaw driver for a few more years.

Work hard, my good little mice. Momma loves you.

Water vapour would have to be taxed, too. We'd better cut down all the trees. They release tons of harmful water vapour into the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back