Flat tappet engine using an oil with no ZDDP in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
bullwinkle,

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The EPA & equipment manufacturers are reducing ZDDP to make catalytic converters last longer, hopefully out of warranty. Not sure longer engine life is in their best interest.

They are reducing ZDDP quantities to decrease the ecological footprint on the environment:

(taken from wikipedia): (EPA or sometimes USEPA) is an agency of the U.S. federal government which was created for the purpose of protecting human health and the environment by writing and enforcing regulations based on laws passed by Congress

In fact, early failure of an engine would also impact the environment because you cannot recycle everything and also producing a new engine will produce harmful emissions. Therefore, it is in their interests to make engines and catalytic converters last longer
smile.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all car engine oils still contain ZDDP's, somewhere around the 600ppm mark last time I checked? It used to be much higher, but has gradually dropped as oil quality has improved to the point of where they aren't needed as much. Modern oils have excellent friction modifiers. Oil today is much better than oil that was used when flat-tappet engines still dominated the market.

Say what you will, but my flat tappets are still getting VR1 20W-50. It's not that much more expensive than most other quality oils(the last I bought was $5/quart) and gives me the peace of mind that I won't need a camshaft for a while. Quality camshafts for my engine are $600 each, plus the added trouble of pulling the engine, changing it, breaking in the new camshaft, etc.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Say what you will, but my flat tappets are still getting VR1 20W-50. It's not that much more expensive than most other quality oils(the last I bought was $5/quart) and gives me the peace of mind that I won't need a camshaft for a while. Quality camshafts for my engine are $600 each, plus the added trouble of pulling the engine, changing it, breaking in the new camshaft, etc.

+2

And the only reason Zddp is being reduced is to prolong the life of catalytic converters, otherwise it woulod probably still be in the 1000ppm range

I read the newsletter where they rebuilt the engine and am still laughing. Chances are, even after the rebuild, if you can consider it a rebuild, there was enough zinc and phosphorus infused sludge left to keep a flat tappet camshaft safe for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back