Flashpoint vs. oil/fuel dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you started out with an oil with a flashpoint of, say, 424*F and you dilute it with gasoline that has a flashpoint of -49.9*F is the %dilution to flashpoint a linear relation? Are there tables/graphs for these properties?

I understand that some oil analyses use the %fuel dilution to determine the oil's flashpoint. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Don't forget to add alcohol to the equation, as it is in most fuels today!
Gasoline in engine oil evaporates quickly and goes away fast under normal conditions , if it is not replenished.

Thanks. I tried clicking on the image block just in case it might work, but no. I had also tried BITOG searching and only got 4 pages, and I tried the Google "Bobistheoilguy:" search to no avail. So the question is still out there; how is flashpoint determined from fuel dilution?

I don't know the answer but will add my ignorance to the pool. I have seen how some other related things things work, and they aren't linear. I think a calculation would be quite complex. On the other hand, if you have many samples, you could do it by what they call empirical methods. Run a bunch and plot them them on a graph. Do a little curve smoothing and you may have a fairly good chart if they correlate well. I wouldn't be surprised to see something such as alcohol throw off the correlation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back