Flashing Brake LED's

Hi All, does anyone have any experience with flashing 1157 LED's? Specifically, quality brands?

I am constantly looking to improve the stop light visibility on my TR6, which has rather weak stop/tail lights; small, low, primitive optics. I have quality LED's now, which were a significant improvement in brightness and load reduction. I was following a friends 1974 914 yesterday and he had a set of flashing LED's, and they caught my attention.

Thanks.

Constantly flashing? I find it makes some sense when brake lights are flashing when emergency braking. That's what your wife's Golf R should do, at least my GTI does. However flashing all the time when braking seems just ridiculous to me. Is it even road legal? If fitting brighter LEDs doesn't do it for you I'd consider to better leave this TR6 sitting in the garage.

No, not constant flash, they strobe for ~
My concern is the expectations of a CHMSL by other, possibly distracted drivers in higher vehicles. The TR is low and with typical '70's lights and no where to put a CHMSL without altering the car (unless I do a cushioned magnetic mount..), and being as this is a ~44K mile completely original car, I will not do any permanent mods.

Flashing brake lights are regulated, check your state for legality and allowable (if any) frequency of pulsation.

This was a thing on motorcycles in the 80's

No, not constant flash, they strobe for ~
My concern is the expectations of a CHMSL by other, possibly distracted drivers in higher vehicles. The TR is low and with typical '70's lights and no where to put a CHMSL without altering the car (unless I do a cushioned magnetic mount..), and being as this is a ~44K mile completely original car, I will not do any permanent mods.
Buy a kit or 2 and wire them into the brake light circuit.

He had them on his M/C then put them on his nice 914....hasn't been rear ended, so I'd venture a guess that he is satisfied. I certainly noticed them following him.
I have these in the tiny light pods on my Barracuda, and the improvement over the old dual filament bulbs is remarkable. But, anything better to catch the eye of someone used to seeing a wall of red when the person in front of them is braking would be a welcome improvement. I'm hoping you gain useful information.

I would not add flashers, I think they're super annoying, and not in a "good" way.

Perhaps add some more red LEDs to the amber turn signals, that you could rig to "convert" to blinkers with the turn signal just like every combo all-red tail light. Then you'll have more square inches of light. Or put the red LEDs in the backup bulb position.

There may be some sort of elegant solution involving the fuel cap as well. Epoxy a properly-chromed LED CHMSL to it on a short "piggy tail" telephone handset style cord, so you now have a lanyard for the fuel cap too.

Hi All, does anyone have any experience with flashing 1157 LED's? Specifically, quality brands?

I am constantly looking to improve the stop light visibility on my TR6, which has rather weak stop/tail lights; small, low, primitive optics. I have quality LED's now, which were a significant improvement in brightness and load reduction. I was following a friends 1974 914 yesterday and he had a set of flashing LED's, and they caught my attention.

Thanks.
I put these bulbs in my Honda after being rear ended 3 times in 5 years (once by a cop while I was at a stop light!) and they work great.

Pilot Flashing LED Brake Light Bulbs

Haven't been hit since, so they appear to work as intended or my bad luck ran it's course. Easily replaceable if you want to go back to non-flashing bulbs. They are available at WalMart, PepBoys and Amazon.

Back