Flash points...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Use Wolf's Head 30 weight. It'll never let you down." --Elwood Blues

Very close, but off by just a bit (I'm pretty sure). As I recall, in the movie "Neighbors," John Belushi's character gives his new friend (played by Dan Ackroyd) his AMC as a gift, and while handing Ackroyd the keys, utters the "Wolf's Head" comment above. I thought it a fabrication until I saw an antique Wolf's Head Oil sign a few years later at a bar. Sorry to be an anal b*tch about this -- I guess I take my Blues Brothers too seriously!

TC,you been sipping on Robin Masters brandy again?
grin.gif
Now I gotta change my signature.You're the second guy that called me out on that.It sounds cooler to say Blues Brothers than the Neighbors movie.

Would someone a bit better researched than me please comment on the Havoline dino flash points?

These seem--if we're not looking at misprints here--higher than many synthetics.

What's up?

Dan

Yes, 'Tankerman, the Chevron/Havoline flashpoints are very respectable for a dino oil.

Compare with Citgo dino's on this Citgo Product Data Sheet .

Keep in mind that the heavier viscosity base oils are less volatile, so a 500F degree flash point for a 20W-50 or a straight 40 is more a property of the base oil viscosity, rather than an indication of a high VI index.

BTW, what impresses me is the 496F flash point of Havoline 10W-30 GRP III syn vs. the 471F of M1 10W-30.
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
The problem with NOACK is that practically no one gives that spec. Almost everyone gives flashpoint.

True. I have Noack on some PZ syns, Valvoline Synpower and Durablend, and Redline. Most now just do the 15 and meets spec. thing. One of the Amsoil tests actually had a pretty good # for regular GTX.

I wish more would publish the actual values. Don't think they're trying to hide anything, they just don't. It is a very good indicator I think, unless you are just running an oil that is way too thin for the application.

I don't think the PZ syn's were that stellar, but the NOACK was unbelievable.
shocked.gif

I wonder how much this test costs?

"As good as Havoline/Chevron Supreme is, the Citgo looks just as good. Am I missing something? Do I need to run RIGHT NOW to my local Dollar Tree?"

For what it's worth, during the last two trips to my local Dollar Tree store (Los Angeles), they didn't have any more Citgo, but did have for the first time Philips 66 Trop Artic API-SL 30w, 10w-30, and 10w-40.

AS good as Havoline/Chevron Supreme is, the Citgo looks just as good. Am I missing something? Do I need to run RIGHT NOW to my local Dollar Tree?
tongue.gif

I think flash points are useless in evaluating motor oil. They are a big deal on storing and shipping. In a series of like, pure compounds, the flash point will correlate well with molecular weight. In a complex mixture like a modern motor oil, the flash point is largely determined by small amounts of high vapor pressure components, and not by the base stock itself. Some of the additives blended in may be dissolved in a low flash point solvent. The first time the engine gets hot, it will find it way out along with any moisture and fuel.

Labman, I understand what your saying. I was looking at the UOA and the VOA topics for that Citgo...How would you interpret them, I thought they say "pretty good for .99 oil? Do you know of any other issues with Citgo oil..
I was thinking about trying it..I normally use Havoline

I note that spec. sheet flash points don't correlate very well with lab measured voa's. Exxon/Mobil lists a lot of 392°F flash points on the old Drive Clean, but I think they use a different method for testing. Some of the voa's make Chevron flash points look a lot lower.

I don't put so much stock in these data sheet FP #'s anymore.

Tanker man,

The parameter you want to compare is "Noack Volatility" not FP. In the Noack test, a sample of the oil is held @ 482F for one hour under a slight vacuum to pull off the oil vapors. At the end of the test the sample of oil is weighted and the # of evaporation is measured. This tests is an excellent predictor of oil consumption in service. Within a given SAE grade, the oil with the lowest Noack value will burn off the least.

TS

I had called the local Dollar Tree the other day to see what they had and it is Citgo at least for now..I'm just trying to find out how good Citgo really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back