Flare Nut Wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ended up ordering the SK's.

I'm becoming quite the SK fan as their quality and price is awesome.

I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Got to looking at the wrenches. 1 was Proto and the rest were Easco. Very sloppy fitting too IMO. It's funny because they even came in the Proto pouch.

EASCO is an old, now-defunct brand that was owned by Danaher before the APEX Tool Group days. Even farther back, when it was an independent company, EASCO was the OEM for many Craftsman tools.

Those wrenches are clearly old stock, as the brand has been discontinued for years. They're the same Danaher-made wrenches that were sold under brands like Craftsman, Allen, K-D, etc. They're basic, but they work.

My thinking is the seller pieced these kits together with closeout tools for cheap. You were right to return them, as they were misrepresented by the seller.

I bought several of the K-D branded versions for cheap several years ago from a place that sold lots of NOS closeout tools.

Here's a few.

2a5m9a0.jpg

Last edited:
Missing 9x11. I have used my 11mm flare wrench quite a bit on euro cars.

Last edited:
Fitment seems good. They're much better than my HF's for sure.

I'd say their comparable to my US box ends.

Flare Nut wrenches are one area you want to invest in the very best and that is Snap On. Wrenches are much more than just a piece of metal. The metal they are made out of makes a huge difference in how the wrench preforms as does how the wrench was designed as in the comfort holding and using the wrench for long periods of time.

I have owned Snap On flare nut wrenches, Mac flare nut wrenches and S-K flare nut wrenches and hands down the Snap On wrenches are superior.

Originally Posted By: RedVic
Flare Nut wrenches are one area you want to invest in the very best and that is Snap On.

Examine these carefully and you will see why that is probably not true.

Not really seeing anything special about those wrenches, they look like they have a lip that stops them from fully engaging a nut on the flare nut end. It might help is you had better photos of those wrenches.

The simple fact is Snap On is the top of the food chain when it comes to flare nut wrenches.

Last edited:
Sorry that's not a simple fact, the Hazet is reinforced to prevent flexing and the steel is the finest German tool steel which is acknowledged to be one of if not the finest tools steels in the world.
The Snap-On are good but the simple fact is there are other companies that make tools as good or even better.
I guess you wont ever know how good some tools are unless you leave the fan club and look.

You obviously never used these tools so your statement is worthless fan boy hype. I have and the Snap-On, like I said there is nothing wrong with the Snap-On, its a high quality tool but there is nothing about it that makes it better.

Ah I get it now, you are a Snap On, Matco, Mac, Cornwell hater, well so be it, enjoy your Harbor Freight Pittsburgh Pro $6.99 wrenches.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Sorry that's not a simple fact, the Hazet is reinforced to prevent flexing and the steel is the finest German tool steel which is acknowledged to be one of if not the finest tools steels in the world.
The Snap-On are good but the simple fact is there are other companies that make tools as good or even better.
I guess you wont ever know how good some tools are unless you leave the fan club and look.

You obviously never used these tools so your statement is worthless fan boy hype. I have and the Snap-On, like I said there is nothing wrong with the Snap-On, its a high quality tool but there is nothing about it that makes it better.

Trav,

Do those wrenches allow you to press down while twisting and or make sure the nut isn't going to slip out under removal? I've only done rear lines once last year on my 97 civic and those nuts were so corroded that I just cut the lines and used a vice grip to remove the stubborn nut. I had to replace the lines anyhow.

Ah I get it now, you are a Snap On, Matco, Mac, Cornwell hater, well so be it, enjoy your Harbor Freight Pittsburgh Pro $6.99 wrenches.

I think you have him figured out all wrong. He knows quality tools. I doubt you'll find much from HF if anything at all in his toolbox.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I think you have him figured out all wrong. He knows quality tools. I doubt you'll find much from HF if anything at all in his toolbox.

HF has a place in my tool box - their Pitt Pro impact sockets are great, and wobble extensions as well. Other than that, I avoid most of their tools like the plague...but to be honest my tool box is a 56" US General so who am I to judge? As well as my mobile 5 drawer cart...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: TNBurban
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

HF has a place in my tool box - their Pitt Pro impact sockets are great, and wobble extensions as well. Other than that, I avoid most of their tools like the plague...but to be honest my tool box is a 56" US General so who am I to judge? As well as my mobile 5 drawer cart...
grin.gif

I have a few of their tools myself. Their 25" breaker bar, impact sockets, a few torque wrenches. Not bad for the money.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: Trav

Trav,

Do those wrenches allow you to press down while twisting and or make sure the nut isn't going to slip out under removal? I've only done rear lines once last year on my 97 civic and those nuts were so corroded that I just cut the lines and used a vice grip to remove the stubborn nut. I had to replace the lines anyhow.

Yes that's exactly what they do, the metal cutout prevents the fitting from sliding off the hex and also reinforces the jaws from spreading. That isn't an issue with a Hazet wrench but it does make the tool more robust and stronger than it probably ever needs to be.
As you say if the line is toast then cutting it off at the fitting and using a 6pt socket on it is the easiest and best way t remove it.

The only minus point to these wrenches is the price, they cost more than Snap-On in the US because there is no official outlet that I am aware of, only private resellers who have loony markups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back