FL500 ?

Originally Posted By: hatt
2 MC > 1 Ultra.
With 2 MC you get twice the risk of manufacturing error. Paper media in MC is more likely to fail: develop a hole or in Purolator terms extra bypass capability. Ultra is better filter. 1 Ultra > 2 MC

Originally Posted By: GreenFocus
2 MC > 1 Ultra.
With 2 MC you get twice the risk of manufacturing error. Paper media in MC is more likely to fail: develop a hole or in Purolator terms extra bypass capability. Ultra is better filter. 1 Ultra > 2 MC
MC and Ultra likely have equal chances of a manufacturing error. So you're exposed to the same risk unless you're doubling your OCI. Then you're risking running a defective filter twice as long. If we're going to nitpick this stuff you have to be consistent.

Yep. I have a cut open 500S with 9K+ that looks great. I'm sure the Ultra is a nice filter but the MC seems pretty dang solid for $4 if you're going the recommended interval.

2 MC > 1 Ultra.
MC and Ultra likely have equal chances of a manufacturing error. So you're exposed to the same risk unless you're doubling your OCI. Then you're risking running a defective filter twice as long. If we're going to nitpick this stuff you have to be consistent.
So if you buy one lotto ticket and I buy 2, we both have same chance of winning? Or do I have twice the chance? Individually both Ultra and MC have have equal chance of manufacturing error, but when you buy 2 MC instead of 1 Ultra, the MC have more have higher chance. MC are good filters for the money.

Individually both Ultra and MC have have equal chance of manufacturing error ...
No way to prove that. Would you say the same thing for a Purolator? grin

So if you buy one lotto ticket and I buy 2, we both have same chance of winning? Or do I have twice the chance? Individually both Ultra and MC have have equal chance of manufacturing error, but when you buy 2 MC instead of 1 Ultra, the MC have more have higher chance. MC are good filters for the money.
In practical terms we both have a similar chance of winning the lotto. 2 in 20,000,000 isn't much better than 1 in 20,000,000. I'll still have that $1 bill in my pocket to look at.

Whether the op uses an Ultra or MC won't really matter. To the OP use whatever makes you happy at the OCI/FCI your comfortable with.

BlueOvalFitter

Site Donor 2021
I keep saying that I will buy a FU and use it. When that day comes I might have to build a shrine for the FU before using it. Oh, and sleep with the box after installing the filter. hide