Fixing up car for family member, but am I taking too long?

My family member's kid got a car on the cheap and it's needed a huge laundry list of repairs done to it. In order to save them the cash, I stepped in to do it. Now, it's been 2 months so far and I think I should be done by month 4 unless other stuff comes up.

I just can't believe so much time has passed on this car. In between bad weather (there's no garage), copious research, delays with parts, problems with ordered parts, tool acquisition, me trying to include the kid in the work, and me just honestly not being in the mood to work sometimes, it's really taken quite a while.

Now my family member hasn't bothered me at all, but other people are hasseling me about it. The kid keeps asking me when it's going to be done & suggesting his friends/a shop do it and I also keep getting hasseled by my dad about it too. When they ask, I just tell them it'll be done when it's done.

After my talk with my dad today, I just feel bad about it now. It's just when everyone gets on me like this, I start to think maybe I really am taking to long. But at the same time, I know I've done the equivalent of work that a shop would've charged at least $2k or more for.

That's it really. Nobody in my family really has a clue about cars and honestly, I'm just learning all this as I go along. I just wanted to get my thoughts out to some people that know more than me about cars and see if y'all could help me get my head on straight.

Good for you is all I can say. I wouldn't have taken it on, and for the reasons you're learning about. Once you make the commitment, you're committed. And unless if you know you can execute what you have committed to do, then you're in over your head.

If you feel it's getting to a critical point, wrap up what you can, and indicate what is left to be done, and let the kid take over. You did what you can do. Get to a good stopping point, document what is and isn't done, and then hand off. If he isn't grateful for what you did, well, lesson learned.

I imagine that he keeps asking even though you have told him that you were waiting for parts… If he is that insistent, let him take it, and wash your hands of it. Then when everyone who is giving you a hard time now asks you to take it again, just hold up your hands and tell them you're not getting back into that again.

I would never repair another family member car again. I used to do it for free, and they brought the parts, so I made nothing.

One COLD day after family Christmas, my Brother's van needed a tune-up. So we went to the shop where I worked at the time after lunch.
Really cold, so as he was pulling the van into the shop, I hit the electric door to close it a little too soon! It clipped off the top of those vent things vans have. Sorry, my mistake! Told him to get it fixed and send me the bill.

$200 later, his van was repaired and I ate the cost, for a "free" tune-up. Never again!

I had this one for about 3.5 weeks. My wife said it took too long, but that is what she always says. I mainly did the work when I had time, which was after work and on some weekends.

Seems like 4 months is a long time to tie up a car with a kid waiting for it. What was the laundry list? If some items weren't critical, you could have just ordered the part and let him drive it til the parts were in and you were ready to do the work. If you're trying to save them 2k, a bit of it is loss after 4 months just from depreciation, taxes, insurance and lost opportunity cost from not having a vehicle.

As has been recommended, I plan to finish some small parts and give the kid the keys.

I'll probably stick to stupid easy stuff or just advisement here on out.
as others have said, document what you've already fixed so he appreciates that investment (and to help avoid a repair shop taking advantage of him on things that now don't need fixing) but otherwise immediately cease further work on it. If there are any future issues with the vehicle the family will look at YOU as the guilty party, you will OWN those issues/complaints, guilty or not. I help my elderly parents with their 2 vehicles, but my help consists of washing/drying/vacuuming detailing, keeping up with their oil changes, inspection/registration. If any services/repairs are needed I will sometimes help pay for some/all the costs, and I'll be the one taking it to the repair shop and dealing with the mechanics, repair bids and approvals. I limit my own personal repairs to things like washing/detailing, swapping out old wiper blades, failed batteries. I used to (but no longer) do their oil changes but there are so many specials/coupons for that it long ago ceased being worth my time/energy doing those myself. I can get very reasonable oil changes done at places like Pep Boys or those Valvoline quickie drive through stations.

My family member's kid got a car on the cheap and it's needed a huge laundry list of repairs done to it. In order to save them the cash, I stepped in to do it. Now, it's been 2 months so far and I think I should be done by month 4 unless other stuff comes up.

I just can't believe so much time has passed on this car. In between bad weather (there's no garage), copious research, delays with parts, problems with ordered parts, tool acquisition, me trying to include the kid in the work, and me just honestly not being in the mood to work sometimes, it's really taken quite a while.

Now my family member hasn't bothered me at all, but other people are hasseling me about it. The kid keeps asking me when it's going to be done & suggesting his friends/a shop do it and I also keep getting hasseled by my dad about it too. When they ask, I just tell them it'll be done when it's done.

After my talk with my dad today, I just feel bad about it now. It's just when everyone gets on me like this, I start to think maybe I really am taking to long. But at the same time, I know I've done the equivalent of work that a shop would've charged at least $2k or more for.

That's it really. Nobody in my family really has a clue about cars and honestly, I'm just learning all this as I go along. I just wanted to get my thoughts out to some people that know more than me about cars and see if y'all could help me get my head on straight.
In your last paragraph you state youre learning as you go. What made you offer to fix a car if you don't know what youre doing and have to learn on the job.

I have to agree with the kid and the family

I am assuming you are doing it for nothing. If an outsider bugs you about it, tell them to mind their own business. If the family bugs you, give the car back and wash your hands of it. You are doing them a favor. I try to avoid these situations totally. You will be married to car and any little issue which occurs in the future will be your issue.

you're doing good, it takes as long as it takes you to do...i learned my lesson over the years, doing car work for just about anyone, many called me again complaining about something after i did the work for cheap or free...i won't touch anyone's vehicle now other than my wife's or mine

What's everybody's situation, is everyone broke? Do you traditionally trade favors among extended family (carpentry, babysitting, etc)?

Good, fast, cheap, pick any two. Seems like they want to include "fast", now.

In your last paragraph you state youre learning as you go. What made you offer to fix a car if you don't know what youre doing and have to learn on the job.

I have to agree with the kid and the family
I’ve always said that pro-bono work is always held to a higher standard than paid work. Why?

Because the other party already assumes by default that you do not know what you are doing. So, you have to work even harder (and faster) than someone who is a professional. That’s why these situations tend to be a lose-lose unless you know exactly what you are doing and are in a position to make miracles happen.

Back