Fixing two pet peeves on the Ford Taurus

Maybe "today?" Some of you may know and most may not, but, one of the vehicles I have is a 3rd or 4th generation Taurus (the one after the Round Rear Window model that looks almost as dumb as a Tesla. My opinion of course.)

20221210_080632.jpg

Well.. I want to "fix" two things.

First.. the outlet the cord here is plugged into DOES have power! The one ABOVE it (the empty hole) does not. Fuse box location that would house that? Kind of weird one works the other doesn't.
20221210_080658.jpg

The second is.. I REALLY want to mount this coolant tank properly. What is missing, and where can I get it? (Screws? Backing? Hole looks large.)

Vulcan 3.0. Good engine.

20221210_080715.jpg
20221210_080722.jpg
20221210_080722.jpg
20221210_080726.jpg
20221210_080730.jpg
20221210_080732.jpg

I'm also interested in the SuperTech or Fram equivalent of an FL-820S.. really no reason to get a Fram, the Supertech is made better and costs less. Fram might not have a single problem but they cost more so. Make it make sense.

Checking oil level, it was at top of crosshatch last I checked.. And, I thank you!
20221210_083634.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Always give mileage, year or general condition of the vehicle in posts as it fills in the picture better. It might even engage a few readers.

1) Make sure the dead socket isn't powered only when the key is ON. Look up the fuse # in the OM.

2) Go to a hardware store with "drawers" and buy the correct size and number of speed nuts and corresponding sheet metal screws.
You can reinstall that reservoir with nuts, bolts and washers you have lying around but removal in the future would be more difficult.

3) Just buy a non-garbage oil filter and change your oil regularly. Does your 3.0 have a neglected PCV valve?

4) Fly the American flag like you mean it. Don't throw it on the back shelf like an old ski hat.

Last edited:
Always give mileage, year or general condition of the vehicle in posts as it fills in the picture better. It might even engage a few readers.

1) Make sure the dead socket isn't powered only when the key is ON. Look up the fuse # in the OM.

2) Go to a hardware store with "drawers" and buy the correct size and number of speed nuts and corresponding sheet metal screws.
You can reinstall that reservoir with nuts, bolts and washers you have lying around but removal in the future would be more difficult.

3) Just buy a non-garbage oil filter and change your oil regularly. Does your 3.0 have a neglected PCV valve.

4) Fly the American flag like you mean it. Don't throw it on the back shelf like an old ski hat.

I agree with you Kira, fly the flag like you mean it... It was actually the very first thing that caught my attention.

On the coolant reservoir, the front bolt should be a M6 x 1.0 bolt about 25mm to 35mm long. The rear is some funky low profile headed carriage style bolt with a spring washer retainer that acts as a stud.

Coolant, scrounge around for spare bolts. Maybe hit up a parts site that has exploded diagrams, it might give the Ford pn for that bolt, which maybe you can cross reference.

(if it was me, it’d be a zip tie fix :ROFLMAO:)

Probably a popped fuse, or maybe it is unplugged back there. Find all the fuse locations, then figure out which one powers this thing. If not a fuse then start pulling things apart.

It is common for Fords of this era to have one socket on constant 12V and one on switched power. With any electrical issue, checking fuses (including empty slots to ensure they should be empty) and grounds is job one and two.

The coolant tank.

It is probably supposed to sit on a stud at the bottom, might be a plastic stud or a metal stud on a clip. other fastener is likely a speed nut and a small "fender bolt" with like an 8mm head and a captive 25mm washer. DO NOT over tighten it. you can likely find what you need in the "body" section of a box auto parts store.

3) Just buy a non-garbage oil filter and change your oil regularly. Does your 3.0 have a neglected PCV valve?

Short version because I'm verifying the oil level before a long trip today...

1) Correct, the cig lighter socket is not powering on while car is running. The one being used must be hardwired to the battery because it is on "all the time" even when car off, I believe. My other car isnt like that, it shuts all electrics when key off.

2004 Taurus ~122,300 miles

2) The thing is.... it seems like there is nowhere for the screws to "bite?" A true hack job would be to get a HUGE self tapper and just RIP two screws in there.

It almost looks like a mounting grommet is needed? Those holes are big with no threads..

3) That's a good question.

Just put an MP3614 on her.

4) Ehh.. Nothing wrong with your statement there, but I have to pick your brain a little.

Cant tape it TO the rear view.. blocks vision. You get tickets for that.

Cant mount it on a pole on a truck like some Bro trucks.. this is family member Taurus.

And. Tried not to just "throw" it back there.. has to be secured so it doesn't move?

If you feel it looks sloppy.. I'm open to suggestions about how to make it look more presentable. Although American pride IS there...

Lots of little subtleties.. is it on the right side of car? Left side? Orientation of? I think trucks can see it best....

20221210_092440.jpg

This is the view from the front as I complete my level check. Back on after 10
20221210_094334.jpg

Here the oil I'm cleaning up, as to color/condition of the fill in the sump. No HPL in there yet
20221210_092505.jpg

Oil being cleaned up now, it is not going to just stay there.

I suspect fuel dilution but we will see. Monitoring.

Ok more pics before the trip and final level check/top off:

20221210_095202.jpg

I wonder if this fuse box contains the offending "Cigar" fuse or if it is somewhere else. It is not labeled .

And I also pictured the "not a fuse box..."

20221210_095210.jpg
20221210_095226.jpg
20221210_095231.jpg
20221210_095413.jpg

Attachments

• 20221210_092208.jpg
    20221210_092208.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221210_092234.jpg
    20221210_092234.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Wow that's a good level. Color looks good too...

20221210_095701.jpg

Ok now let me just show some more of this coolant tank. You are all correct, the bolts are just MISSING. I know one of the replies addressed where it "seats" in. I'm not seeing anything at the bottom?

Here it is in its present loose state (irks me. And makes noises) and how it should be.

20221210_095553.jpg
20221210_095617.jpg
20221210_095620.jpg
20221210_095630.jpg

Attachments

• 20221210_095630.jpg
    20221210_095630.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 4
Any chance the car was in a wreck and the proper spot to mount the coolant bottle was damaged when someone was pulling a junkyard fender? For something like that I'd just head on to the junkyard and compare/contrast and get the small bolts and mounting hardware from a car. IIRC Ford uses those U nuts that clip into place for the coolant bottle.

One of the 12v power points is always on, the other is keyed. I had a 2001 Taurus. It's nice for dashcams. On my 2001 F-350 it's on the same fuse as the OBDII port oddly enough.

I'm sure you're aware, but the transmission on that car is VERY weak. They need a cooler and regular fluid changes.

As for oil/filter - the Ford Vulcan engine doesn't care. As long as it has something that resembles motor oil and an oil filter that doesn't leak out past the gasket, it's fine. They're a low power, long life powerplant.

the Coolant tank:

The top hole is supposed to take a speed nut. that's what the big square cut out is for the speed nut has the treads in it. Google it. the bottom "keyhole" shaped are is likely for a plastic stud the way it is shaped. See if you can find a stud with a speed clip if you can't find a plastic post with a slot in the end. There are no witness marks around the lower hole so i think it just sits on a stud...

I have is a 3rd or 4th generation Taurus (the one after the Round Rear Window model that looks almost as dumb as a Tesla. My opinion of course.
Huh? They have a stylish Coke bottle shape that Ford made generic and boring after the 1999 models. My opinion of course.
035.jpg

Wow that's a good level. Color looks good too...

View attachment 130029

Looks a half quart low and a little dirty. :ROFLMAO: Time for an oil change. This is what it SHOULD look like,

155Oil change.jpg

I'm with @supton on this, zip ties will work here it only needs to not flop around into any moving parts. Loop zip ties through the bolt holes and adjacent holes in the body (The back one would go through the big hole for the washer fill and the original mounting hole) The official hardware is specialized especially the back one.

Is there any coolant in there?

The owner's manual has a map of the fuse boxes that is required to know which fuse is which.

Huh? They have a stylish Coke bottle shape that Ford made generic and boring after the 1999 models. My opinion of course.
View attachment 130045

Looks a half quart low and a little dirty. :ROFLMAO: Time for an oil change. This is what it SHOULD look like,

View attachment 130046
That white car is ugggglyyyy.

So you like full up on crosshairs more than halfway? Okay!

I may go to the zip ties. I'll look on EBay.. though that one came and didnt have screws, the old one was very yellowed. There is coolant in there, I'm doing partial drain and fill I think the heat could be a little stronger. Universal 50/50 is yellow not green. The angle you cant see the fill line but I check it cold. Old tank had some kind of leak at hose fitting.

^^^ Aaaaand we just got closer to resolution!

SUGGESTIONS:
Hit "Post reply" once and wait for it to take.

Get a flag which is proportional to its location.
Just because you have that flag on that dowel, it doesn't mean you you're duty-bound to using that one.
Also, when the red fades to pink, the white turns grey with dirt and the blue fades to another shade of grey, change it out for a new one.

Don't fly the flag at night without lighting.
Don't fly the flag outside in the rain.

The above rules have been in Boy Scout publications and Wheaties boxes for years so don't be irritated with me.
Why people ignore flag etiquette puzzles me. It ain't that hard.

They're too lazy to get up when it rains to hoist the flag down?
They sprung for the staff but had no coin left for lighting?

One personal favorite are American flags held on porch rails by flower pots....with mud running down 2 sides of the flag because of rain.
Slobs.
Another was the guy who found his dad's old 48 star flag and draped it over the tire racks in his garage....5 years before, rendering the flag as grimey as a drop cloth.

If'n I had a buyer looking at my car pull a dipstick like that, only half full, the first thing he would ask is, "Is this thing using oil."
Would you explain to him that if it is between the crosshatch marks that it is fine?

Would you further explain that color is not an absolute indicator of motor oil quality?

Or would you just make it look like you have something to hide with brand new oil you can barely see on a dipstick full to the top of the crosshatch.

Just going by what people have said over the years. Yes it's fine if it's between the marks, but car shoppers expect to see fluids topped up and fresh.
No. Makes me think you're trying to hide a problem. (As in, oil just changed? WHY?)

Might as well power wash the engine bay to polish the...

Back