Fixed Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: MtnMike
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Fixies decrease overall efficiency.

There are MANY (most??) racing cyclists/coaches (pro AND amateur) who would totally disagree with you on that point!!

Many even consider it a requirement to spend at least 1000 early season training "base" miles on a lower geared fixie in order to teach/train one's muscles how to spin 'circles' instead of "squares".
And yes, especially downhills without bouncing off the saddle!!

Maybe Sir Doug Hillary will chime in to confirm/validate this point.

Base starts right now in December
55.gif

I ride my single speed all winter to help with pedaling efficiency and leg strength, but I don't think base should only consist of low cadence work. I also use my geared bikes to work on spin up drills to focus on high cadence efficiency.

As far as fixies not being efficient, that depends what you mean by efficiency: 1)A bicycle's drive train has inherent inefficiency associated with drag from the chain moving over the chain rings, cogs, derailleur’s, and chain slack from the spring in the derailleur. Removing the derailleur from the system takes away the chain slack, and also takes away some of the drag. 2)However, biomechanically, a bicycle-rider system probably works better when the rider can chose the gearing that matches the riders most efficient cadence (which everyone's is different). Unless the rider is always going the same speed and also happens to have the correct gearing for that speed, bikes with variable gearing are more efficient from a biomechanical standpoint.

That's my 2 cents about it. Feel free to disagree
23.gif

I do not disagree on the biomechanical efficiency of multiple gearing!
I was only stating that MANY coaches feel that a fixed gear (in early base training on the flats only) will increase pedal stroke efficiency by training the muscles/neurons to operate in an ~ 360 degree circle, instead of choppy squares.
But maybe this is now considered 'old school' thinking?

BTW; are you a mountain bike rider, or a roadie (or BOTH)?

I think we agree. It may be "old school" but the thinking is still valid. I guess a single speed can let you work on both low cadence/muscle tone work, AND high cadence work (depending on what ratio you're running). I've raced road, mountain and cyclocross. My current obsession is road racing. I still mountain bike for fun, especially in the off season.

Hi,
as a "trackie" I would only have one or two road rides (30 miles or so) on my track bike pre-season to "get the feel" of the fixed gear again prior to serious track training. Yes downhills too as you say, to learn how to stop bouncing and how to pedal in circles!!!!

We always trained on geared bikes and stange as it may seem, always on only one or two ratios - thousands and thousands of miles! As a very young "Novice" - about 13-14, I spent a year on a fixed gear to perfect pedalling technique. This was suggested to me (and my Dad) by Reg. Harris (an Englishman) who I spend a few days with being Coached (around 1953-4). Reg was a multi World Champion and World Recordholder - a Sprinter and 1km Time Trialler

All track training was "purposeful" so bike control via the fixed gear was absolute. This included standing still for minutes on end on the high banking of the various Velodromes (never roll back = disqualification)

I must admit I always loved fixed gears on the road but in training bunches they could be very dangerous. The slightest back pedal could cause the rider behind (on a freewheel) to touch the wheel and "crash"

So, to perfect a smooth style I believe the fixed gear is a great tool - and it is good way to learn the effects on others of your pedalling actions too

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
This included standing still for minutes on end on the high banking of the various Velodromes (never roll back = disqualification).

Just to clarify (on Doug's behalf) for those not savy with competitive track cycling;
A "track stand", or standing still on the banking of a velodrome, is a tactical move used by the rider in front, to try and force the following rider to take the lead during a match sprint event.

For those unfamiliar to cycling (and used to running sprint events being ALL OUT from the gun) this seems very strange the first time it is observed by the novice spectator!
The 'sprint' part comes in the last ~300 meters when both (or all 3-5) competitors wind up and explode to the line. They are timed for the last flying 200 meters, and can hit over 50 mph in the middle of the last turn/straight.

My winter bike/beater is a converted single speed. I can appreciate the simplicity of it mechanicals wise when something goes wrong. No derailer or cassette to fiddle with. I did about 20 miles on it last weekend and realized why I dig them so much. I just avoid major hills at all costs.

A fixie is a bike that is in the wrong gear 90% of the time. Another drawback is you have to be very careful with when going around corners, since the pedals are always turning, its very easy to strike a pedal on the road and crash.

Don't get me wrong, I have a fixie, its a track bike that I ride on the track exclusively, but track bikes don't do well on the road.

Originally Posted By: Saab9000
Another drawback is you have to be very careful with when going around corners, since the pedals are always turning, its very easy to strike a pedal on the road and crash.

Generally true, but this IS dependent on; bottom bracket height, crank length (track bikes usually have shorter cranks, except for pusuit bikes, or bikes for people with VERY long thigh bones), pedal angle clearance, and just how much one leans into said turn.

Hi,
I am currently in Copenhagen after spending a few days in Stockholm. I can confirm that about 5% of people I have seen cycling use a fixed gear

As you will be aware, cycling is a popular form of day to day transport for many in both Sweden and Denmark (where I once lived for some years)

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
I am currently in Copenhagen after spending a few days in Stockholm. I can confirm that about 5% of people I have seen cycling use a fixed gear

As you will be aware, cycling is a popular form of day to day transport for many in both Sweden and Denmark (where I once lived for some years)

Doug,

Have you ever caught any of the Six Days on any of your trips (or extended stays in) to that (or any other Euro) city??

Yes, I know that they only run in the winter (off)season.
wink.gif

Hi,
dailydriver - Thanks for your interest. No six days sadly but I have been able to catch up with people from the dim dark past and it is nice to know that the "memory lingers on".

Sadly of course the "Parc de Princes" in Paris (where Le Tour once finished) has been a soccer place for several decades and the Ordrupbane in Copenhagen is now a housing area I believe

I'll be in Berlin next week and hope to visit the old '36 Olympic track where I once raced in the East German Grand Prix events

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back