Fixed Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Los Angeles, and these bikes are all over the place now. It's an urban hipster trend. And yes, most of the bikes are brakeless. I guess there's a "skill status" to be able to ride a fixed gear safely, or as safely as possible. Anyone here dabble in this sort of bike riding? I admit, I'm intrigued, but at my age I would want a least one handbrake to save my day.

I've seen bumper stickers that point out the hipster status of fixies: "Fixies are the new Rollerblades", and I think that's just about right. It's a bike that everyone wants just for the sake of being cool, as opposed to their performance advantages.

Fixies are also called track bikes, because that's the kind of bicycle used in track racing in the velodromes. In the velodrome, brakes are not needed. In fact it's safer if everyone goes the same speed with no sudden stops or changes in speed. I don't see the big advantage of being brakeless on the city streets (other than the coolness factor). I've got one fixed gear bike, but I also have brakes on it. Riding it is a different sensation and it's a fun challenge. I guess I do feel like a purist.

Incidentally, if you're interested in track racing, LA has a really nice velodrome.

before 'hipsters' got into them, fixed gear bikes were popular with city messengers. quick, simple, lots of control if you know waht you are doing. chain won't fall off, no gears to maintain.
I've got too many hills in my neighborhood, so I have no need for a fixie.

I can see the appeal for casual riding. Because of the lack of gearing, you are forced to go easy and just enjoy the ride instead of trying to get to your destination as quickly and efficiently as possible. I used to ride my BMX around in that way.

Yeah I agree, but I think you could accomplish this with a single speed drive train as opposed to fixed. Nothing like a single speed urban bike.

From what I've seen you can only ride a fixie if you match the fixie guy "style", which is girl's high-water skin tight jeans and a tight stripped shirt. Mix just a tinge of retro 80's style into it and you are qualified to ride a fixie.

I like the concept of a simple, cheap, stripped down bike but when the trend hit the $3000+ hand built market I lost interest. I'll take brakes and a freewheel.

Originally Posted By: MtnMike
Yeah I agree, but I think you could accomplish this with a single speed drive train as opposed to fixed. Nothing like a single speed urban bike.

I wasn't only thinking of the single speed concept. I don't think I'd want to ride without a freewheel!

Originally Posted By: zoomzoomlx

Fixed gear means pedaling down hills also. I'll stick to a single speed any day of the week!

Yeah, you know I didn't even think of that! Going down hill will the pedals spinning is probably weird, not to mention dangerous. I also read that fixed gear cyclists can get knee problems from using the backpedaling braking technique.

I like my knees the way they are. Freewheels for me. I put in about 7000 miles a year and not one of them with a fixie. Fixies decrease overall efficiency.

I used to do lots of bike riding till my knees messed up my neck messed uo and my wrists messed up but I got to try a fixed gear track bike, it is different

Originally Posted By: tom slick
From what I've seen you can only ride a fixie if you match the fixie guy "style", which is girl's high-water skin tight jeans and a tight stripped shirt.
That is me!!!

Looking for a new lucrative career? Consider being a Knee surgeon. Judging by the amount of fixies and single speeds I see in this town, these surgeons will be in very very short supply over the next dozen years.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Fixies decrease overall efficiency.

There are MANY (most??) racing cyclists/coaches (pro AND amateur) who would totally disagree with you on that point!!

Many even consider it a requirement to spend at least 1000 early season training "base" miles on a lower geared fixie in order to teach/train one's muscles how to spin 'circles' instead of "squares".
And yes, especially downhills without bouncing off the saddle!!

Maybe Sir Doug Hillary will chime in to confirm/validate this point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

There are MANY (most??) racing cyclists/coaches (pro AND amateur) who would totally disagree with you on that point!!

Many even consider it a requirement to spend at least 1000 early season training "base" miles on a lower geared fixie in order to teach/train one's muscles how to spin 'circles' instead of "squares".

Base starts right now in December
55.gif

I ride my single speed all winter to help with pedaling efficiency and leg strength, but I don't think base should only consist of low cadence work. I also use my geared bikes to work on spin up drills to focus on high cadence efficiency.

As far as fixies not being efficient, that depends what you mean by efficiency: 1)A bicycle's drive train has inherent inefficiency associated with drag from the chain moving over the chain rings, cogs, derailleur’s, and chain slack from the spring in the derailleur. Removing the derailleur from the system takes away the chain slack, and also takes away some of the drag. 2)However, biomechanically, a bicycle-rider system probably works better when the rider can chose the gearing that matches the riders most efficient cadence (which everyone's is different). Unless the rider is always going the same speed and also happens to have the correct gearing for that speed, bikes with variable gearing are more efficient from a biomechanical standpoint.

That's my 2 cents about it. Feel free to disagree
23.gif

55.gif

I ride my single speed all winter to help with pedaling efficiency and leg strength, but I don't think base should only consist of low cadence work. I also use my geared bikes to work on spin up drills to focus on high cadence efficiency.

As far as fixies not being efficient, that depends what you mean by efficiency: 1)A bicycle's drive train has inherent inefficiency associated with drag from the chain moving over the chain rings, cogs, derailleur’s, and chain slack from the spring in the derailleur. Removing the derailleur from the system takes away the chain slack, and also takes away some of the drag. 2)However, biomechanically, a bicycle-rider system probably works better when the rider can chose the gearing that matches the riders most efficient cadence (which everyone's is different). Unless the rider is always going the same speed and also happens to have the correct gearing for that speed, bikes with variable gearing are more efficient from a biomechanical standpoint.

23.gif

a bicycle is the most efficient machine. I read a study some time ago that showed about 98% of energy put in was converted to forward movement (physics guys don't jump on me if I used the wrong terms).

55.gif

23.gif

I do not disagree on the biomechanical efficiency of multiple gearing!
I was only stating that MANY coaches feel that a fixed gear (in early base training on the flats only) will increase pedal stroke efficiency by training the muscles/neurons to operate in an ~ 360 degree circle, instead of choppy squares.
But maybe this is now considered 'old school' thinking?

BTW; are you a mountain bike rider, or a roadie (or BOTH)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back