Fix or Scrap/Sell

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Your answer will depend on who you ask. Bitog usually gives a Dave Ramsey type answer to keep it forever and you'll notice the vehicles in the members signature aren't that old and they would never want an old pile of junk.
It'd be real fun to do all that work and a few oil changes from now the transmission takes a dump possibly leaving the driver stranded.

Dave Ramsey states nothing about keep forever. His mantra is pay cash and used to avoid steep depreciation .

I would not bother if paying for labor.

Well IDK. This is just my opinion.
Only put the money in it if you're going to keep'er and drive'er for a while until you decide what you want next.

I mean, will she pass NYS Inspection if you do all of this work?

Otherwise, investigate on how much money a scrap yard or a private buyer will give you for the vehicle just the way it is. And use that as your baseline.

If you keep the vehicle i'd replace the fuel pump with Bosch 69128. I've haven't needed to replace mine yet but a long time poster and one that owns and replaced a few explorer fuel pumps recommends. This on another forum.
When and if mine goes that's what i'll be putting in.

Since it's running, effect the repairs and drive it around with For Sale signs in it.

Seems lotsa folk are buying used vehicles during the pandemic.

There's always demand for trucks. A '96 Explorer what? 4WD? Mileage?

Are you saying that all the smoking is coming from the valve covers?

Strap the darn tank with ratchet straps if you have to then do the VC gaskets. Your outlook will then change.

Originally Posted by rollinpete
If you keep the vehicle i'd replace the fuel pump with Bosch 69128. I've haven't needed to replace mine yet but a long time poster and one that owns and replaced a few explorer fuel pumps recommends. This on another forum.
When and if mine goes that's what i'll be putting in.

95/96 has a weird fuel pump (that pump may fit the mexico version).
There aren't many choices. It is a white unit.
I'm not sure it will fit.

Originally Posted by Kira
Since it's running, effect the repairs and drive it around with For Sale signs in it.

Seems lotsa folk are buying used vehicles during the pandemic.

There's always demand for trucks. A '96 Explorer what? 4WD? Mileage?

Are you saying that all the smoking is coming from the valve covers?

Strap the darn tank with ratchet straps if you have to then do the VC gaskets. Your outlook will then change.

It has about 170k.
Yeah the vcs are wetting the exhaust manifold. They have to be replaced. 25 years, they don't owe anything.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Your answer will depend on who you ask. Bitog usually gives a Dave Ramsey type answer to keep it forever and you'll notice the vehicles in the members signature aren't that old and they would never want an old pile of junk.
It'd be real fun to do all that work and a few oil changes from now the transmission takes a dump possibly leaving the driver stranded.

Dave Ramsey states nothing about keep forever. His mantra is pay cash and used to avoid steep depreciation .

I would not bother if paying for labor.

Oh, the only way I would keep this is with DIY work. You would have to be crazy to have a shop do it(but I'm sure people do, get into debt, etc). The $300 isn't the issue, just it seems like I'm trying to keep a 110yo man alive by feeding him a bodybuilder diet. The end is certainly near.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Well IDK. This is just my opinion.
Only put the money in it if you're going to keep'er and drive'er for a while until you decide what you want next.

I mean, will she pass NYS Inspection if you do all of this work?

Otherwise, investigate on how much money a scrap yard or a private buyer will give you for the vehicle just the way it is. And use that as your baseline.

I don't use it much, maybe for Home depot runs or a bad snow. I took a look at the tires, they are Michelins and starting the famous cracking. That is another consideration.

It will pass inspection, depends on how much they push the parking brake :lol:. It usually holds well, but I think some hardware isn't perfect.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by ford46guy
Originally Posted by eljefino
If the 4x4 still works you'll get $2k for it next winter if it has a valid inspection.

Rockauto shows a tank for $122 plus shipping.

See if you can get creative wtih some scrap metal for that strap if you can find something of comparable strength. Stay with the current pump if the sender's in good shape (and not a rusty blob you don't know about yet.)

Though your truck does sound like it's nearing the end of it's on-road life. You may find someone, a fan, who wants it for a trail rig or parts though.

Strap is actually available, about $20

Sad part about these vehicles is you put in so many new parts, then one day, it becomes scrap.

I looked at the 06-10 explorers and a decent v8 is hard to find, I'm willing to pay a bit more too. I've found ones rustier than mine.

Loads of them here with no rust. https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/costa-mesa-2007-ford-explorer-v8/7144927276.html

Oh, man, I would buy that TODAY. Probably looks like a new car underneath. I saw ones here in such poor shape. I stepped on a running board and it broke off
frown.gif
. The dealer gave me a dirty look :lol:

I tend to have low appreciation for rusty stuff. Reaches a point where it is time to move on. This might last forever--or tomorrow the next thing breaks, and then the next thing, and then finally the repair that breaks the camel's back.

I'm guessing you could go either way and not be wrong--new fuel pump, another year of life. It sounds though like this is a spare vehicle that just isn't getting much usage. Its value to you might not be worth it. I guess it depends on how much you use it for Home Depot and snow driving.

Well the muffler is bad too, seems the outer layer is rotting near the seams and that is a lifetime warranty (so called Walker SS, yeah right) at Advance, only 3 years old. All exhaust was replaced.
I was using it in the bad snows.
Aftermarket parts S*$k. May need a tailpipe and leadpipe too if I can't salvage (maybe another year max on those). Not that expensive, but still..all valid point in the thread.

Frame is actually not bad. solid. I was fluid filming it in the past few years.

All parts needed are just under $200 shipped. Probably a whole Saturday to do this I estimate.

Renting an SUV for a few days cost more than that. Unless you want to spend 10K+ here, you aren't going to do much better. The Trucks and SUVs are beat to death.That is why I'm even thinking about this. If it was the V8, I would be much more confident. Decisions decisions.

Can you get to NYC, NJ, PA? Even better if you can get south of Philly, so you can get a better-condition car with less rust.

Originally Posted by CT8
A 1996 are you serious? Run , run away fast.

I don't think age is really the issue. I'd have far more confidence in a 1996 Explorer than a 2006 Explorer all other variables being equal. The severity of the rust is the only hangup I'd have. If it's rust that's eventually going to ruin the vehicle no matter what, and especially if it makes repairing the vehicle more difficult (probably yes since we are talking gas tank straps), I'd tread carefully with repairs. Still, considering what's readily available in the OP's area and intended use, I'd probably keep it going a little longer if the cost isn't crazy. He's not going to have good replacements to pick from without taking a trip. 2002+ Explorers are much more expensive and troublesome to keep going regardless of rust, so to run away from the 1996 because it's a 1996 isn't necessarily the answer here.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Originally Posted by CT8
A 1996 are you serious? Run , run away fast.

I don't think age is really the issue. I'd have far more confidence in a 1996 Explorer than a 2006 Explorer all other variables being equal. The severity of the rust is the only hangup I'd have. If it's rust that's eventually going to ruin the vehicle no matter what, and especially if it makes repairing the vehicle more difficult (probably yes since we are talking gas tank straps), I'd tread carefully with repairs. Still, considering what's readily available in the OP's area and intended use, I'd probably keep it going a little longer if the cost isn't crazy. He's not going to have good replacements to pick from without taking a trip. 2002+ Explorers are much more expensive and troublesome to keep going regardless of rust, so to run away from the 1996 because it's a 1996 isn't necessarily the answer here.

Yes, I thought about all of this, that is why I'm considering keeping mine.
Any v6 explorer with the SOHC is an automatic rejection, till 2010. Those transmissions got worse by the year. It is a risk. The SOHC is another story.
The 09-10 V8s are something I would consider as a reliable replacement. Again, very difficult to find. By the time they are given up here, they are in much worse condition than what I have now, pretty much beat to death. And overpriced, and they sell.
I almost got a v8 06 ex, it had so many problems, I decided not to get it. P0420, possible manifold leak, tons of rust, lots of new parts, probably the owner gave up on it.

I regularly bring up the cost per mile "metric". It is something that requires accurate accounting. AND, when calculated properly, it often illuminates the fact that old vehicles that need expensive or time consuming repairs are often NOT cheaper to operate.

However, I keep my old Jaguar X-Type up North, because it's AWD and a clunker, so I don't mind it deteriorating while it sits most of the year up there. It has a specific value, and has been worth repairing the inexpensive things on it because of that. (I live in FL but have a PA crash pad house for when I work up North)

I would get rid of it. In my opinion, in this situation, the best option is to sell it for scrap. You will need to pay a lot of money for reconditioning this car. It is better to sell your old gas tank at a junkyard, and from the money, you get to buy a new one. Of course, it won't cover the whole cost of a new gas tank, but at least you will save some money. I did the same way with my old 2JZ engine. The rain destroyed it, so I sold it at a junkyard and also from the same junkyard bought a new engine, just adding some money.

Back