Fix or Scrap/Sell

96 Explorer

Gas tank very rusty and leaks. Strap is gone.
Probably will replace Fuel Pump even though its good (I'm thinking Spectra Premium, they make the tank too)
Need Valve cover gaskets for the OHV (not the most fun job, but doable). Leaves a trail of smoke

Parts, I guess under $300. I can do the work, I would say about $1500 or so at a shop with their part markups. I can't see the truck selling/worth more than $800, even with these repairs. Probably $5-600.

It does have some rocker panel/dog leg rot but the frame seems solid. Newer brake, ps, trans lines. 4.10 w/a limtd slip. Other parts too.

I know it is the original trans, it was very well maintained. Has a drain plug on the pan. It is the rare 4spd, 4r55E, but still probably on borrowed time, even though I hear some can make it to 200K.

Interior is still very nice. Lots of newer suspension parts and those helper shocks in the back. Heated seats. Leather is cared for with no rips and some light wear, replaced armrest cover a while back.

Even so, maybe time to go?

Last edited:
Get another car. If it was worth fixing, you'd use a Motorcraft OE pump
laugh.gif

And when you buy your next car, get it rustproofed
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
Stay away from that spectra pump.

Motorcraft one is 350. Not worth, but I see where you are coming from.

Your answer will depend on who you ask. Bitog usually gives a Dave Ramsey type answer to keep it forever and you'll notice the vehicles in the members signature aren't that old and they would never want an old pile of junk.
It'd be real fun to do all that work and a few oil changes from now the transmission takes a dump possibly leaving the driver stranded.

I'd throw a tank on it and take my chances reusing the old pump. If the oil leak is smoking, you have a fire hazard so you need to do those too.

Originally Posted by ford46guy
Originally Posted by Chris142
Stay away from that spectra pump.

Motorcraft one is 350. Not worth, but I see where you are coming from.

You are going to be pulling that Specra pump out in a few weeks.

If the 4x4 still works you'll get $2k for it next winter if it has a valid inspection.

Rockauto shows a tank for $122 plus shipping.

See if you can get creative wtih some scrap metal for that strap if you can find something of comparable strength. Stay with the current pump if the sender's in good shape (and not a rusty blob you don't know about yet.)

Though your truck does sound like it's nearing the end of it's on-road life. You may find someone, a fan, who wants it for a trail rig or parts though.

Originally Posted by eljefino
If the 4x4 still works you'll get $2k for it next winter if it has a valid inspection.

See if you can get creative wtih some scrap metal for that strap if you can find something of comparable strength. Stay with the current pump if the sender's in good shape (and not a rusty blob you don't know about yet.)

Though your truck does sound like it's nearing the end of it's on-road life. You may find someone, a fan, who wants it for a trail rig or parts though.

Strap is actually available, about $20

Sad part about these vehicles is you put in so many new parts, then one day, it becomes scrap.

I looked at the 06-10 explorers and a decent v8 is hard to find, I'm willing to pay a bit more too. I've found ones rustier than mine.

Sounds like its got some life left in it and you've put some parts into it. I guess if you don't want it anymore then let it go and try your luck with something newer. Sometimes when I have to fix something on the Focus I think that I should've bought a newer car, but then also I've only spent 4 months of Outback payments on the the whole thing and it gets me down the road nearly as well.

It really depends on how bad the body rot is and how long you can mitigate that issue.

I did dump my '95 years ago because the rust was so severe. It was at the point I couldn't change a taillight bulb without doing some body work. It was a really good running and driving truck, but the body and many things attached to it were shot. I now have a '94 with no rust at all and 100k more miles than the last one and plan to keep it a long time/forever. First and second gen Explorers are great vehicles, especially with the OHV 4.0 or 5.0, but body rust is their Achilles' heel.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
It really depends on how bad the body rot is and how long you can mitigate that issue.

I did dump my '95 years ago because the rust was so severe. It was at the point I couldn't change a taillight bulb without doing some body work. It was a really good running and driving truck, but the body and many things attached to it were shot. I now have a '94 with no rust at all and 100k more miles than the last one and plan to keep it a long time/forever. First and second gen Explorers are great vehicles, especially with the OHV 4.0 or 5.0, but body rust is their Achilles' heel.

Maybe I'll take another good look at the rust before making a decision.

Originally Posted by eljefino

Strap is actually available, about $20

Sad part about these vehicles is you put in so many new parts, then one day, it becomes scrap.

I looked at the 06-10 explorers and a decent v8 is hard to find, I'm willing to pay a bit more too. I've found ones rustier than mine.

Loads of them here with no rust. https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/costa-mesa-2007-ford-explorer-v8/7144927276.html

Man you just don't see these around here. I'd fix it too.

I'd look into a MC pump as well. You say it doesn't need a pump? I'd keep trucking with the old one honestly. If you did buy a new pump, perhaps you can offset some of that price by buying a used tank from a junkyard.

96 Explorer

Gas tank very rusty and leaks. Strap is gone.
Probably will replace Fuel Pump even though its good (I'm thinking Spectra Premium, they make the tank too)
Need Valve cover gaskets for the OHV (not the most fun job, but doable). Leaves a trail of smoke

Parts, I guess under $300. I can do the work, I would say about $1500 or so at a shop with their part markups. I can't see the truck selling/worth more than $800, even with these repairs. Probably $5-600.

It does have some rocker panel/dog leg rot but the frame seems solid. Newer brake, ps, trans lines. 4.10 w/a limtd slip. Other parts too.

I know it is the original trans, it was very well maintained. Has a drain plug on the pan. It is the rare 4spd, 4r55E, but still probably on borrowed time, even though I hear some can make it to 200K.

Interior is still very nice. Lots of newer suspension parts and those helper shocks in the back. Heated seats. Leather is cared for with no rips and some light wear, replaced armrest cover a while back.

Even so, maybe time to go?

The sales tax on a good used vehicle will be higher than your DIY repair cost. If you can get atleast another year out of it, keeping it in safe condition, I would repair it. Those are not costly or difficult repairs.
FYI, I have had good results with Spectra tanks but their pumps are junk as well as Airtex. Get a Carter or Motorcraft and do it once. OEM is best but expensive.

Last edited:
Back