Fit is go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a Fit today to add to the Honda stable. Incredible little car. Tons of room for being so small. The engine is pretty peppy, too, considering it's 117 hp! But since it's only pushing 2,400 lbs around, I guess that and the gearing make a difference.

I got the Sport Auto with paddleshifters. Fun little gimmick but rather than using it for quick launches my thoughts were on quick upshifts to keep the revs low and mpg up. Speaking of MPG...wow! I took it out on the interstate and was seeing sustained portions of the drive as far north as 50-60 mpg, although low 40-ish seemed to be where the instant gauge spent most of its time. The lowest dips I saw were to 30 mpg but they were rather infrequent. EPA is 27/33 by the way. At 73-75ish mph, it was taching at or just below 2,500 rpms. Certainly tolerable for me considering my CR-V is close to 3k at those speeds. I'll keep posting impressions in case anyone is thinking of one of these. I don't really need an extra vehicle until this summer. But I figured that I may as well get one while gas is still decently low to avoid any rush.

Photos please!!!
grin2.gif

Good purchase Brian!

I got a 07 fit and it never seize to amaze me every time I take it onto the interstate and have fun seeking out the "sweet" spot for best fuel economy.

I averaged @ about 42.3miles/us gal on the highway with my 5spd M/T, with 30~60% A/C on while cruising @ 60miles (I'm a typical slow-poke on the right-lane, doing my hyper-miling while others whizzes by...)

Enjoy!

Q.

p.s. I can see pump gas going up to 4bux/us Gal soon....

Current generation, I assume? How do you like the video game dash board?
Do you happen to know if manual tranny is geared much different? I test drove a new TSX 6-spd, and it was doing like 3400RPM at ~70MPH in sixth. No thanks...

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Bought a Fit today to add to the Honda stable. Incredible little car. Tons of room for being so small. The engine is pretty peppy, too, considering it's 117 hp! But since it's only pushing 2,400 lbs around, I guess that and the gearing make a difference.

I got the Sport Auto with paddleshifters. Fun little gimmick but rather than using it for quick launches my thoughts were on quick upshifts to keep the revs low and mpg up. Speaking of MPG...wow! I took it out on the interstate and was seeing sustained portions of the drive as far north as 50-60 mpg, although low 40-ish seemed to be where the instant gauge spent most of its time. The lowest dips I saw were to 30 mpg but they were rather infrequent. EPA is 27/33 by the way. At 73-75ish mph, it was taching at or just below 2,500 rpms. Certainly tolerable for me considering my CR-V is close to 3k at those speeds. I'll keep posting impressions in case anyone is thinking of one of these. I don't really need an extra vehicle until this summer. But I figured that I may as well get one while gas is still decently low to avoid any rush.

im in the market to get one of these. it's either a Fit, 4 door Yaris, or a 2007 Prius. i also feel like i want to jump on one soon before gas goes up again..if it does. it's really a three way toss up between the 3. Just gotta decide which one im gonna be happy to keep for 15 years+

Honda Fit, I test drove one of these with a friend who was looking for an economy car and I was seriously thinking about trading in my Santa Fe and buying one I was so impressed.

Try this one first and I'm sure you will leave the dealership with it!
grin2.gif

Here's the best pics I could get at night:

049.JPG

050.JPG

051.JPG

Incredible that I could get three kid seats across!

056.JPG

Originally Posted By: Tosh
Current generation, I assume? How do you like the video game dash board?
Do you happen to know if manual tranny is geared much different? I test drove a new TSX 6-spd, and it was doing like 3400RPM at ~70MPH in sixth. No thanks...

Dash is not bad. I skipped the nav system. I have a TomTom so no big deal. In the Odyssey, the nav system comes with XM. No such option in the Fit so even less of an incentive to upgrade. However, sadly, stability control only comes on the nav equipped model. That kinda sucks... But I've not had stability control on anything other than the Odyssey so I can't say I'm bothered.

Congrats! That car should last a long time. The jazz that has been out for a long time in Europe (before they brought to U.S. and named it fit) has a great reputation. This new generation may be even better!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'm impressed the top gear has the rpm so low. Does it rev match on the downshifts or can you do it yourself?

Yeah, me too! Well, it's a 5 speed auto....

Re the manual, I've heard it's improved over the previous generation....But my dealer didn't even have one manual in the literal sea of Fits that it's stockpiled in case of a gas crunch. Last summer, with production winding down on the 08 models, they could not KEEP Fits.

I love the new Honda Fit. If I was buying a car just for myself for commuting, it would be one of these. Reminds me of the original Civics of the 1970's - Honda is finally getting back to small cars that re both economical AND sporty, at the same time!

You might want to try a Cobalt XFE, its mileage is rated slightly better that the Yaris and Fit and might be a 1/3 less expensive. The motor is in another league but the interior might not be to your liking. We have a regular Cobalt as a work vehicle and its fine for the most part. Probably its what I would choose out of all of them but I'm not picky in terms of interior aesthetics. Maybe if the Fit handles alot better I might be swayed, but $4k is worth quite a bit to me...
Bah, unless my car has some catastrophic failure I'm not getting anything for a couple years anyways.

I love the color of your Fit and the design of the wheels.

When are you gonna install the fiberglass JDM aero kit and rear spoiler ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: MBCLK

im in the market to get one of these. it's either a Fit, 4 door Yaris, or a 2007 Prius. i also feel like i want to jump on one soon before gas goes up again..if it does. it's really a three way toss up between the 3. Just gotta decide which one im gonna be happy to keep for 15 years+

The 4 door Yaris was an option but the rear seat head room was ridiculously tight compared to the Fit. I also can't get over the center-mounted gauge cluster in the Yaris. If I were going to go Toyota subcompact, I'd go with the Scion xD instead.

Keep in mind if you want a manual, the 4 door Yaris hatch model only comes in auto. The only place I rated the Yaris hatch higher was in glove compartment space. Both the Fit and Yaris have 2 glove boxes. But the Yaris's seems a tad bigger.

If Toyota sticks to its word and comes out with an Insight-fighting cheap trim level of the Prius, that might be the real ticket.

I was initially looking at the new Insight, but I couldn't see making up the $4000 price difference in gas savings any time soon. My dealer was selling base LX Insights for $20k, but just this past week, as gas started to edge up.....they went to $21k....
smirk2.gif

I have to say, driving this car is a hoot. It handles VERY well for a cheap car and feels more expensive than it is. Engine noise is a TAD buzzy at low revs. Sounds like the Ecotec Cobalt I rented a couple months back. But it smoothes out pretty quick.

Here's a link to the Car and Driver test...

http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_guide/honda/fit/2009_honda_fit/2009_honda_fit_sport_road_test

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
You might want to try a Cobalt XFE, its mileage is rated slightly better that the Yaris and Fit and might be a 1/3 less expensive. The motor is in another league but the interior might not be to your liking. We have a regular Cobalt as a work vehicle and its fine for the most part. Probably its what I would choose out of all of them but I'm not picky in terms of interior aesthetics. Maybe if the Fit handles alot better I might be swayed, but $4k is worth quite a bit to me...
Bah, unless my car has some catastrophic failure I'm not getting anything for a couple years anyways.

Out the door I paid $17,500. Not as cheap as I wanted....but i put a heaping down payment down so the note is peanuts anyway.

I really enjoyed the regular Cobalt I drove for 3 days a couple months back. I was very impressed and started a topic on it here. But all the uncertainty with GM made me a bit gun-shy...

Regarding the Fit engine, I would really recommend driving it before making any judgements. It is incredibly peppy!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I love the color of your Fit and the design of the wheels.

When are you gonna install the fiberglass JDM aero kit and rear spoiler ?

Never! Lol, I think it looks tricky enough already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back