First Use of the Phrase "Orange Can of Death"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is THIS the first use of the wording "Orange Can of Death"? I can't find anything earlier on the site. It was asked in another thread where it came from..... I have been searching and can't find anything earlier on BITOG.

It started here, because:

Orange Can Of Death =

OCOD =

OCD + O =

Obsesseive Compulsive Disorder + Oil.

WGAF when OCOD was termed, fram orange can probably has the most oil successfully filtered of any other by a bazillion trillion miles.:()

I think its been kicking around the 'net since the 1990s. Hatred for base model Fram filters is nothing new (justified or not). You could find discussions about it, way back. The first thing that ever made me aware of it was a display setup that CarQuest had on all their store counters back in the 1980s, with their brand (Wix), a Fram, and a Delco all cut open and pointing out the deficiencies of the others relative to the Wix. Arrows were pointed at the "cardboard" end caps on the Fram, the "stamped" media retaining spring on the Delco, and the fact that only the Wix had a metal ADBV (not a good thing, as it turns out).

I bet not many people know this:

"The FRAM® history dates back over 75 years when the original chemists, Frederick Franklin and T. Edward Aldam, invented an easily-replaceable oil filtering element at their laboratory in Providence, RI. Automotive oil filters of various types had been on the market for nearly ten years, yet were difficult to install, change and clean. Franklin and Aldam, whose last name combination gave rise to the company name, set out to solve these problems with their revolutionary filters.?

Link: FRAM History

Link: More History

It all started when somebody had their engine ruined by the filter media collapsing; shutting off oil flow to the engine. I don't have the exact details but I could probably find it if I dug deep enough on the internet.

Etymology comes to BITOG.
Interesting question, though.
Surely someone's cousin's grandmother's aunt's godmother's sister had an engine ruined by a Fram oil filter way back in the day?

After all I've read and seen around here I think I'd pick an OCOD over a PTEF [Purolator Torn Element Filter] or PTMF [Purolator Torn Media Filter]. Take your pick lol

Last edited:
^^^ I think the term "Tearolator" was just recently born here or obvious reasons.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ I think the term "Tearolator" was just recently born here or obvious reasons.

Nice! I was just trying to keep with the spirit of letters.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

smile.gif

Then maybe just TOL ... for TearOLator.

laugh.gif

It could have been the Cummins diesel guys about 10-12 years ago.

Cummins engineers were seeing some major engine problems in their 5.9 liter powerplants that was tracked back to the adhesives used in the FRAM PH3976.

FRAM issued an advisory at the time, redesigned the filter, and then reintroduced the filter as the PH3976A.

smile.gif

laugh.gif

That works for me. Either way it will be a long time before I use them again, it will take quite a bit of good press to win me back. Not that it would matter to them.

smile.gif

laugh.gif

Or WCOD ...
Just sticking to a flow of thought.
Or drat; I just brought up the word "flow" in reference to a Purolator ...

Cue the dramatic music and let the dribble start ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

smile.gif

laugh.gif

Or WCOD ...
Just sticking to a flow of thought.
Or drat; I just brought up the word "flow" in reference to a Purolator ...

Cue the dramatic music and let the dribble start ...
WCOD!
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
or the YCOD ?
21.gif
grin.gif

How about PCCOD? Puke Colored............If they have a spy here maybe after this thread they'll wake up. I don't think so.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
It could have been the Cummins diesel guys about 10-12 years ago.

Cummins engineers were seeing some major engine problems in their 5.9 liter powerplants that was tracked back to the adhesives used in the FRAM PH3976.

FRAM issued an advisory at the time, redesigned the filter, and then reintroduced the filter as the PH3976A.

I was in the Cummins scene for several years and had used the OCOD up until that time. It wasn't long after I got first one 96 that heard something to that effect and went with. Cummins/Fleetguard filters. I remember seeing something that looked like either a press release or TSB from Daimler Chrysler sometime in the early 2000s that stated an orange can was grounds to refuse a warranty claim on an engine repair. Don't recall any other specifics.

Something else I read of that I don't recall if related to the OCOD issue or not was an engine that had a damaged cylinder and piston that was traced to a plugged port for a piston cooling jet. It was a metallic substance that was not used anywhere in the engine. Seems like it was blamed on the filter because it was closest upstream potential point of entry so it was deemed the cause. Further analysis revealed it to be the same material used to seal the tops of oil bottles. I wish I had a better memory of this or these events I read about so if someone who knows more please don't flame me.

I am as of very recently a reformed Fram user. I now have an FU on my mower and will likely transition to same on the vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back