First time using Box oil today.

So I poured in havoline pro DS 5w 30 in my 2006 Tahoe w/227k on the clock.
I like the fact that 1 Box filled it. I did spill a little(Box corner hit the fan shroud when pouring).
First impression same as any other full syn.
Will probably use it again 22.97 for 6 quarts good with all the price increases.

So I poured in havoline pro DS 5w 30 in my 2006 Tahoe w/227k on the clock.
I like the fact that 1 Box filled it. I did spill a little(Box corner hit the fan shroud when pouring).
First impression same as any other full syn.
Will probably use it again 22.97 for 6 quarts good with all the price increases.
It's good, rated oil. The price is RIGHT after all. :)

I'm probably going to use an old 5 qt container as an intermediary so I can do my 4.5 quarts without overfilling.
The box has a flap that you can pull out to see when it has around 2 quarts or less remaining.

Good stuff. I like this packaging more than the normal plastic jugs.

Attachments

• IMG_20220814_210349 (2).jpg
    IMG_20220814_210349 (2).jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 39
Been using bag in box for years ....don't forget to drain the bag when it's stopped dripping from the box take it out and there is an additional quart left in there to drain

She sure seems excited that it’s plant-based.

All motor oil is plant-based. The only difference is the age of the plants.
Well that's like saying everything is really hydrogen based because that's what the universe started out with before suns and neutron stars came about to make heavier metals. There's also oil made from natural gas which I suppose you could also say originally came from plants.

Regardless of how the oil was made the box is still a great way to package it. It’s like a large cereal box donuts not the size you thing it is if you haven’t seen it in the wild yet.

Regardless of how the oil was made the box is still a great way to package it. It’s like a large cereal box donuts not the size you thing it is if you haven’t seen it in the wild yet.
I haven’t seen the six quart ones anywhere but on the Walmart website. None of the stores around here stock them.

I haven’t seen the six quart ones anywhere but on the Walmart website. None of the stores around here stock them.

Yep it’s hit and miss here as well. I’ve seen the Pro DS and the Lifelong at Wally’s a couple of times and at other times there was nothing. It must be selling quickly and taking longer to restock.

Been using bag in box for years ....don't forget to drain the bag when it's stopped dripping from the box take it out and there is an additional quart left in there to drain
Not quite. I've probably used 20+ of these things. A few OZ comes out if you take it apart and drain it. Far from a Qt.

2nd the recommendation for a pitcher though. Makes it much easier and accurate for your pour.

I used it once. It was very convenient because the engine needed 5.5 quarts - so I didn't need the extra half quart - so made it fairly economical.

Biggest complaint was I didn't want to pour the old oil back into the bag while it was hot, so I had to let it sit around for a while. Maybe the bag is OK hot, but didn't feel like taking the chance. Minor problem.

I have a fear of long term storage, maybe irrational, but I won't be stacking any. Would buy again if I were using it right away.

Think of all the guys on this board with immense stashes who likely will never handle one of these boxes!

To those guys: Make sure to bequeath your oil to someone who deserves it.
To some of those: Include a truck rental allowance!

We have been running it in my brother’s 2016 Jeep Wrangler since new. It’s the perfect amount. Used to be $18 though. Still can’t beat the price for 6 quarts of synthetic.

My only gripe is the boxes do get a little questionable over time. We bought 2 and let one sit on the shelf for a year. It started swelling and getting a little squishy. Never leaked though and we used it to take the used oil in.

Not quite. I've probably used 20+ of these things. A few OZ comes out if you take it apart and drain it. Far from a Qt.

2nd the recommendation for a pitcher though. Makes it much easier and accurate for your pour.
Yes sir i was referring to the large bag in box

Back