First time motorcycle buyer

It's a dangerous sport and there is trouble lurking everywhere. I would recommend getting one of the Honda Shadow 1100's. I had one and it was a great bike. I found out I actually outgrew street bikes. My safety was more important than the motorcycle experience. Bugs and bees and other insects bothered me more as I grew older. I would rather travel in a car on trips but just buzzing around back roads is a blast. I now have a Honda 125 Monkey for my motorcycle experience. Enjoy it while you can because most people quit riding or seldom ride and this is an experience that you should try since you want a bike now. I have tons of friends that have paperweight motorcycles just sitting in their garages and that's ok too. Good luck with your decision!

It's a dangerous sport and there is trouble lurking everywhere. I would recommend getting one of the Honda Shadow 1100's. I had one and it was a great bike. I found out I actually outgrew street bikes. My safety was more important than the motorcycle experience. Bugs and bees and other insects bothered me more as I grew older. I would rather travel in a car on trips but just buzzing around back roads is a blast. I now have a Honda 125 Monkey for my motorcycle experience. Enjoy it while you can because most people quit riding or seldom ride and this is an experience that you should try since you want a bike now. I have tons of friends that have paperweight motorcycles just sitting in their garages and that's ok too. Good luck with your decision!
He got a Suzuki S40, see the thread he started about what oil to run in it. Not sure how to copy a thread link to post that will take people to it?

^^^ Just go to that thread, then copy and pasts what's in the address bar of your browser.

I found a photo of him and his bike....with a couple of friends. They seem to like the bike....but his Missus doesn't look too happy about it.

scan-jpeg.2508234

OP, from my experience, it sounds like you have an itch that needs to be scratched... Get the MSF basic class first. If you still want to do some riding afterwards, get yourself a used bike, new gear and start riding locally. I own a manual CTX700N which I consider a great starter bike (Kawasaki Vulcan S also comes to mind). You should be able to find some low miles sample out there. I never considered long distance traveling myself, but give yourself time to get some experience before that.

OP, from my experience, it sounds like you have an itch that needs to be scratched... Get the MSF basic class first. If you still want to do some riding afterwards, get yourself a used bike, new gear and start riding locally. ...
As posted just above your post, the OP has already purchased and has been riding their 2005 Suzuki s40 Boulevard for over a month now.

I have a Rigid mount 883 Sportster. It is ill suited to "touring", granted I could make some modifications to improve it but it would still be not very good.

I haven't really kept up with prices but if you can afford a decent rubber mount 883 with a 3.3 or 4.5 gallon tank (preferably EFI) it wouldn't be a terrible choice.

Quality gear is expensive. I hope that it is an additionally budget.
Rigid-mount Sportys are where the name "Milwaukee vibrator" came from. The 2004+ rubber-mounts are night and day different.

Back