First time I've used this tool I bought over 30 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image from fototime.com]

For installing the brake shoe retaining clips on the pins. Must be the first time encountering this type of retaining system instead of the round springs.

Never saw those retainers. Must be cheaper to make than the old coil spring/slotted washer kind. I could do those with my fingers.

Most people used their fingers or pliers rather than walking to the tool box to get this tool. I have a couple kicking around that have probably never been used.

My old Studebakers use the same type of retaining clips to retain the shoes. I use a screwdriver to remove them and use my fingers to install them. In all of the years of working on Studebakers, I never knew there was a specific tool for removing the retaining clips.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Drum brakes were always a PITA.

+1 on that although rear discs that use mechanical operation of the caliper to provide for a parking/emergency brake are also a PITA.

Those clips came with my F150 hardware kit. I like 'em just as well as or better than the washers & springs kind.

For washers & springs, I always used an 11-12mm socket on a 6" extension, or just slip joint pliers.

The little notch for engaging the nail end is money. I usually just spin the head behind the backing plate with my dopey blind finger.

Originally Posted by JohnG
Never saw those retainers. Must be cheaper to make than the old coil spring/slotted washer kind. I could do those with my fingers.

Not a chance you could do those with your fingers. Sorry.

That tool is worth its weight in gold for that purpose. I have onenjust like it (different brand).

Last edited:
i have got a bunch of those brake tools in the tool box. these days don't think i will ever use them again. finding a drum braked vehicle after 2010 is pretty hard. usually its the base model of anything. even my 99 outback had disk in the rear

Originally Posted by mattd
Originally Posted by JohnG

Not a chance you could do those with your fingers. Sorry.

That tool is worth its weight in gold for that purpose. I have onenjust like it (different brand).

Needle-nose pliers will usually work, but that tool definitely works better. Many Honda's use this style of retainer.

Perfect tool for the job. I also have a tool or two that I've owned for decades and never used.

I don't mine them. Had to help dad with his 240z a few years ago and they seemed simple enough. Tedious, but simple.

Calipers depending on the vehicle can be easy conceptually, but very laborious depending on what needs done.

Sumitomo calipers that allow you to slide the pads in from the top are an amazing design. Not sure why it didn't take off outside of the Japanese market. Dads Z and mom's ‘Yoda both have them.

Yes .

I had a 1970 Ford custom with drums , front & back . Back in the day .

I purchased the " brake tools " to work on those brakes . Still have them .

Our 1991 Caprice has drums in the back . Those tools come in handy for them , too .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back