First SSD on Xubuntu 16.04

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mentioned in the other thread inherited a older laptop couple weekends ago. Compaq Presario A931.. Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz and 3Gb .. so far from a screamer! Had regular Ubuntu on the platter drive and was ok but was curious how a SSD would do, seemed like a good time to try. Didn't care for regular Ubuntu so with Xubuntu this time. Got the Crucial BX200 from Newegg.

Hate to say for smaller tasks it's just as fast as the Mac Mini with 16Gb. It starts to lack when I try the VirtualBox with Windows 7. Most of my classes coming up won't need it so should be ok. It's main purposes will be class and work related tasks when I'm out of town, Citrix receiver works better than any platform I've used it on! The work laptop is a nightmare and slow as a dog with all the security hardware.

Tempted to go ahead and buy another 2GB stick of DDR2 ram for 4Gb, the max per Intel of the 965 chipset. Funny how you had to buy a new computer every 3 years to keep up back when I was in the field but now machines are usable much longer. Now to slap SSD's in 2 more machines and rebuild one to Xubuntu... might even pull out the old Dell Dimension 8300 for the kids.

And that drive is one of the poorer drives too, so the speed increase might seen even better if you have a board capable of the faster speeds like a Samsung EVO or pro.

Still it's much faster than a conventional hard drive even only around 300 mbs. I fully understand that there's a steep increase in price sometimes. I too have some budget SSDs, a PNY XLR8 and a Mushkin Eco

See here for real world data.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/40435/CT240BX200SSD1

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Samsung-850-Pro-256GB/Rating/2385

The Mac will be getting something like the Samsung or Crucial MX200. The old laptop isn't sata 3 so I figured the slower drives would be ok. But then again don't mess with it much so I could be thinking out of my wazzo.

You're right there's no reason to use the faster drives unless they're sata 3 capable. The sata 2 ports are limited to about 300 MB/s which is still less than most of the midrange drives.

Can you do your Windows stuff under wine? That would be much less RAM demand than a VM running a whole copy of Windows. Or even dual boot (booting will be a lot faster now)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
Can you do your Windows stuff under wine? That would be much less RAM demand than a VM running a whole copy of Windows. Or even dual boot (booting will be a lot faster now)

True on Wine.. I'll give a whirl next time. It's been 12 years since I tried it on Redhat I'm sure it's improved since then! Windows 7 does seem to run ok in VirtualBox but can't get the updates to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back