First Signs of Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready for my 105,000 mile change before too long and it looks like I'm seeing the first evidence of oil consumption in my FXT.
My daughter generally gets my garage spot when she's home for the summer so I haven't been looking at my oil level for a while. She went on a brief trip so I checked my oil this morning and my car definitely down a bit from when I filled it at 100,000 miles...less than 1/4 inch below FULL, but it's quite noticeable. I might be fooling myself somewhat as I usually overfill just a bit and might not notice a small drop so easily as a result, with this change I hit the FULL hole dead on (measuring on a cold engine in my garage) and any loss is pretty obvious.
Nothing to be alarmed about at this mileage, of course at 90,000+ I had a dealer install a new PCV valve (or maybe the two for which they charged me ;^) and now I wonder if I should have left well enough alone. No signs of any drips in the garage or driveway, so I'd assume it's just being consumed.
My "new" cahh is getting old, wicked [apparently New Englandisms are now being censored]!!!!

This is the first time I have ever run 10W30 (M1 HM), maybe this is proof positive that grade sucks compared to the 0/5W30 I have used before???
;^)

Last edited:
So a quarter of a quart over a little less than 5k miles if I'm reading that correctly? Yes could just be going to 10w30. Change back to 5w30 next time and you may not notice any consumption.

I'd rather my oil level go down than stay the same.

Oil does get burned every combustion stroke. Consumption is normal. If the oil level stays the same over an OCI, oil is being replaced by something else; probably fuel.

I wouldn't worry one bit, Virtus'. I know it can be disconcerting but that amount may or may not happen on the next OC. Was that your first change with M1HM 10/30?

Originally Posted by wemay
I wouldn't worry one bit, Virtus'. I know it can be disconcerting but that amount may or may not happen on the next OC. Was that your first change with M1HM 10/30?

Hey wemay, how are ya?
Yeah, not really worried....I suppose rooflessVW could be right that oil lost to combustion has basically been replaced by fuel dilution all along. I've had similar thoughts in the past.
Just weird to think this car is getting old in a sense and I still think of it as my new car, like I just traded the RAV6 in recently.
The really crazy thing is that my wife has a 2006 and I'm about to pass her in mileage...guess who does the driving when we go somewhere together?? ;^)

This was my first change with M1 10W30 HM, or any 10W30 for that matter. I already have a jug of PP 5W30 waiting for the next change, picked it up at Pep Boys and where the heck is my $15 rebate card?? My daughter should be the one worrying about it as it will go to her when it does arrive...will be about $13 net assuming I get the rebate, similar to M1 or PP from WM with the manufacturer's rebate and I was amazed how simple the process was with PB. Just entered a number off the receipt and I was almost done, no need to scan.

girlfriends 2,5L DI 13 malibu sucked qts from new, just not enough for a replacement + by 63 thou a qt on a thou using a 5-40 which is better than the lighter oils did!!

Ya I wouldn't worry either. Just keep an eye on the level as you are doing, and top off as needed... with this rate of consumption, it sounds like the level would hit the ADD mark around the time service is due.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by wemay

Hey wemay, how are ya?
Yeah, not really worried....I suppose rooflessVW could be right that oil lost to combustion has basically been replaced by fuel dilution all along. I've had similar thoughts in the past.
Just weird to think this car is getting old in a sense and I still think of it as my new car, like I just traded the RAV6 in recently.
The really crazy thing is that my wife has a 2006 and I'm about to pass her in mileage...guess who does the driving when we go somewhere together?? ;^)

This was my first change with M1 10W30 HM, or any 10W30 for that matter. I already have a jug of PP 5W30 waiting for the next change, picked it up at Pep Boys and where the heck is my $15 rebate card?? My daughter should be the one worrying about it as it will go to her when it does arrive...will be about $13 net assuming I get the rebate, similar to M1 or PP from WM with the manufacturer's rebate and I was amazed how simple the process was with PB. Just entered a number off the receipt and I was almost done, no need to scan.

All good, hope you are well too. ðŸ‘
The rebate process is pretty simple when using your phone. I just get mixed results on their follow through. I'm still waithing on a second rebate check from Valvoline, sent months ago. In fairness to them, the first redemption was complete in 5 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back