First repair on the Malibu.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Just hit 90,000 miles. Did an oil change and notice a bolt head laying on a spot on the engine block.
Son of .... Broken exhaust manifold bolt. I thought it was odd as it does not seem to be common on the LTG.
Maybe a bad bolt? The other ones were fine and came right out.
Well now the turbo has to come off to get the exhaust manifold off...Which isn't difficult but time consuming and
I just wasn't interested.

My kid has been taking welding for a year and we bought him a welder for Christmas.
He took a look and said "Easy Dad". Maybe for him.
Let me show you success...
20230114_104657.jpg

20230114_104703.jpg

It is in a tight spot. The fix was successful. I replaced the rest of the fasteners with ARP stuff one at a time.
20230114_104636.jpg

20230114_104640.jpg

I think the boy and I might be able to do some damage together.

Kudos to you Dad for doing a good job in child rearing. Maybe the future isn't as bleak as it seems sometimes.
I tried, he likes working with his hands so I encouraged that. College is not for him, at least not right now. He will be 18 in October.
I didn't finish up college until I was out of the Navy.

Reactions: JTK
Wabbout a technical school for one of the licensed trades? Plumbing ,electrical, HVAC, merchant marine etc
He takes welding at a local tech school every afternoon after his normal morning classes. It is a 2 year program. He is just about done with year one. Places like Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, CSX, Union Pacific and the oil companies hire straight out of the program.

What's with domestics and exhaust manifold issues?
I think it is mostly trucks that tow heavy. Like I said I couldn't find anyone else who had the problem with the LTG. I think it was bad fastener or over tightened. I have pulled broken exhaust manifold bolts out of Tundra that towed heavy.

What's with domestics and exhaust manifold issues?
LOL - I thought and laughed hard at that because you are right! - GM 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2 car and trucks, Dodge Hemi 5.7 in cars and trucks etc....like it happens a lot! I personally had my Sierra and RAM break studs.

LOL - I thought and laughed hard at that because you are right! - GM 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2 car and trucks, Dodge Hemi 5.7 in cars and trucks etc....like it happens a lot! I personally had my Sierra and RAM break studs.
My 20 Ram 5.7 has cracked exhaust manifolds at <25K; manifold kits are on an intergalactic backorder.

I think it is mostly trucks that tow heavy. Like I said I couldn't find anyone else who had the problem with the LTG. I think it was bad fastener or over tightened. I have pulled broken exhaust manifold bolts out of Tundra that towed heavy.
Could be - never had one part on me …

Just hit 90,000 miles. Did an oil change and notice a bolt head laying on a spot on the engine block.
Son of .... Broken exhaust manifold bolt. I thought it was odd as it does not seem to be common on the LTG.
Maybe a bad bolt? The other ones were fine and came right out.
Well now the turbo has to come off to get the exhaust manifold off...Which isn't difficult but time consuming and
I just wasn't interested.

My kid has been taking welding for a year and we bought him a welder for Christmas.
He took a look and said "Easy Dad". Maybe for him.
Let me show you success...
View attachment 135483
View attachment 135484
It is in a tight spot. The fix was successful. I replaced the rest of the fasteners with ARP stuff one at a time.
View attachment 135485
View attachment 135486

I think the boy and I might be able to do some damage together.
Wonder if it could be like the ls engines where they can sometimes spit several bolt heads off and still not leak.

Back