First real snow of the year in Akron Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.
We dodged the other storms.. even kent(20min away) has had 4-5x the snow of akron.

Well today its 5" of snow and 30-40mph wind (gusts) and I have to drive all over..

Hurray for Subaru awd and blizzack ws70's

Oh did I mention it rained all day yesterday then dropped from 43 to 24 in 55min... So nice sheet of ice under the snow too.

My driveway goes between 2 houses.. half of it is windswept down to the ice.. the other half has 1ft drifts..

Last edited:
Yeah it was fun trying to get into my car this morning. 20-25mph on 77 to Fairlawn was great too. Went from 44 deg rain yesterday to 15 degrees and everything frozen to death this morning. I love Akron!

Where I live it is a high of 79 and a low of 42 in the forecast.

I ate dinner last night in Angeles Oaks at The Oaks Restaurant. It has no weather station but has weather like Big Bear, 52 high, 18 low today.

Big Bear Lake is already iced over. It is about a two hour drive from here.

From Redlands, CA to Angeles Oaks you drive from seeing oranges in the trees to snow in about 35 minutes. Problem is, we seem to be in a little drought.

It's been pretty dry. We have had a few weak storm fronts but nothing special. Tioga Pass is open right now into Yosemite, which is very unusual, as it is over 9500 feet in elevation.

Originally Posted By: John_K
Here we had the big inch and the news calls it a "dangerous situation." OOh yeah.

John

LMAO gotta love any snow story south of Mansfield. I went to school in Cincinnati, and always thought the city practically shutting down on 6-8in of snow was comedy. Although the plow/salt systems don't compare to NEO.

We were getting tired of it, so we sent the snow your way. Gonna be in the 40's or 50's today, so I'll see about sending some of that your way too.
11.gif

Maybe 3-4 inches near I-271 and Chagrin Blvd. Rush hour was bad this morning as rain to snow came very fast overnight. Snow to stop by 4pm Sat. FWIW--Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Yeah it was fun trying to get into my car this morning. 20-25mph on 77 to Fairlawn was great too. Went from 44 deg rain yesterday to 15 degrees and everything frozen to death this morning. I love Akron!

I spent a month in Akron one night
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: beast3300

I spent a month in Akron one night
grin.gif

I really didn't mean that I love Akron, however one night is excellent. I don't wanna be here now.

You folks on NE Ohio/Ohio in general got more than we got here in SW pa(Pittsburgh area). Last night it was windier than a witch riding a broom. Got up around 4a.m. this morning and it was 17 outside, and about 1/4" snow on the ground. Windblown snow all day, and when I left work I measured just shy of 2 3/4" snow. Roads were clear this morning and this afternoon(I work til' 2:30p.m.) Side roads and streets are clear and heavily ashed.

Adam

I wont forget "SNOWMAGGEDON" few winters ago, as that was a royal pain in the butt.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
Maybe 3-4 inches near I-271 and Chagrin Blvd. Rush hour was bad this morning as rain to snow came very fast overnight. Snow to stop by 4pm Sat. FWIW--Oldtommy

hey you're in the same vicinity. stay near that side of town.

We got about 3-4" here yesterday morning. The county was lax in plowing, which made driving interesting. And another quick inch this morning. I got to break out the power shovel. It made quick work of clearing the sidewalk.

Hey and Sciphi, the township here in my area, they do a darn good job plowing and ashing/sanding. The side streets in the next town over, they dont do poo to those. At my work, yesterday I spent bout half the morning salting and cindering. Glad to do that as the plow truck is nice and warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back