First purchase!

I got the first stuff for my car today. w00t. Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic Blend 10W-40 Purolator PureOne Oil Filter Purolator Air Filter Seafoam Sylvania XtraVision Headlight bulbs Oh By the way, Advance is having a sale- 5q valvoline with purolator purone oil filter for $17.99!

Last edited by a moderator:
 Originally Posted By: rudolphna
I got the first stuff for my car today. w00t. Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic Blend 10W-40 Purolator PureOne Oil Filter Purolator Air Filter Seafoam Sylvania XtraVision Headlight bulbs Oh By the way, Advance is having a sale- 5q valvoline with purolator purone oil filter for $17.99!
I love the excitement, its like Christmas! What car are all those goodies for bud? I love MaxLife's red bottles, need to paint a car that color =). Reminds me of buying a video card for my PC, ah the smell of fresh silicon in the morning!

Last edited:
Pretty layout you got there! I bought a big stash last fall and am starting to miss the hunt already! Might have to start shopping again once I get down to 5 jugs

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
i once owned a 98 cavalier with that same engine, ive gotta ask why in the [censored] are you putting 10w-40 in it?
exactly what I was wondering too.

Nick R

That's what the dealer has been putting in it so I decided to just use it. Supposedly the thicker viscocity is good for higher mileage engines. I consider 125,600 miles pretty high mileage. Only thing is I might have to put in 5W-30 in the winter time. Its in ohio right now, I'm on vacation. I live in upstate new york, it gets a bit colder there for longer than it does here. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

You would be better off with a 30 weight, especially in the cooler climate. Think about cold starts. I had good luck with Maxlife in my previous vehicle. It actually stopped a leaky rear main on my old Caprice. Don't be a Kool-Aid drinker and use what the dealer used just because. 125k isn't really high mileage. Wait till you get in the 250,000 mile range.

10W-40 could prove to be troublesome for cold starts on a wee 4-banger on cold New York winter mornings. If you haven't already dumped it into the crankcase, I'd use 5W-30 instead.

My 02 Ecotec is still doing fine on 5W-30 PYB at 150K. It and my 77 truck with a 4 start fine on cold winter days.

Nick R

Well I'm going to cedar point today. Maybe in a couple of days when I go out I will exchange the oil for 5W-30 instead. 10W-40 seemed like the best choice at the time. EDIT: I'll do it when I go pick up a valve cover gasket, since its leaking by spark plug #3.