first post with some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, this is my first post but have been a lurker for a few weeks now. I must say it is amazing at how knowledgable the people are here.

Now for questions. i know in the 2005 model year dodge switched oil specs for many engines to 5w20. bulwnkl and i have been talking with some dodge people on neons.org trying to figure out differences between the 2004 and 2005 2.0l sohc engine that is placed in the neon to see if it is ok to run 5w20 in a 2000 to 2004 model year engine. i dont think we have come up with a definete answer about that, even from some people who work for dealers (i think). the best answer i got was someone saying that they are not aware of any engine changes that supported 5w20 use. my driving consists of mainly highway driving, but i drive on I-695 and I-95 at drive time. so there could be some extended idleing in my commute. total mileage per day is approximately 100 miles.

so far ive been sticking with 5000 oci even though i think it could go a little further. im just not too willing to risk much since this car has too last me a while. i think it will have near 200,000 miles on it before i get rid of it. i have been using primarily mobil 1 because it is cheap at wally world, cant really beat $20/5qt jug. i also use reg purolator oil filters. i have been considering switching to mobil 1 ep on 10000 mile oci but have been wondering about filter change intervals. the main interest would be time savings. so if i can go the full 10000 miles on a purolator, or if i should upgrade to a purolator plus or similar. the only place i have to work on my car is at my parents garage which is about an hour away from where i live now. i absolutely refuse to take it to a quick lube, i worked for one for 4 years and i know what goes on in them. most mechanics would not be available at the times that i need them.

i have seen stuff about green and gold gc. i havent been able to figure out the main differences in the bottles. from what i have read gc has been great in anti-wear, am i correct?

i think i have wrote this clearly, if not please let me know and i will clarify. thanks in advance for everyones help.

welcome.gif

Ypu don't say what oil is recommended for your vehicle or what grade you are using now. Nothing wrong wiht M1 & purolator filters. Whilst 10,000k may what your aiming for I would suggest getting UOA's to back up this interval. The purolator would probably be finme for this mileage, but Mobil do have a longlife filter and others. Just steer cler of the real cheap ones.

Most 5w-20 are pretty good, so if you vehicle can use it its up to you.

GC is a fine oil however we don't have it here :-( . Check out the GC forum. It will tell you more than you will every need to know.

Let me share some of my experience with 5w-20 and 5w-30 oils in two autos, one v6 and one a 4 cylinder.

The v6 "required" 5w-20 motorcraft in particular. We ran that for the first 10k miles or so. After which we tried GC, M1 10w-30 and Havoline non synthetic. MPG increased with each over the 5w-20.

The 4 cyclinder "required 5w-30. We tried 5w-20 with no observable affect. We are now back to 5W-30.

The V6 now has 70k miles, and is clean and loses no oil between 5k changes. The M1 and 5w-20 did require between 1/2 a 1 quart between changes.

Our driving is mainly on 2 lane hiways or on interstates. I'd venture to guess our average speeds are 55-60 on backroads and 70-75 on the interstates.

I see no advantage to 5W-20 for us.

i thought i had a sig, but i guess i have to make one. my car is a 2004 dodge neon sxt 2.0l sohc. i am currently using syn 5w30 (right now at this time it is pennzoil platnum, but will be m1 next week) with a 5w30 recommendation from dodge. thank you for your input guru and bob.

welcome.gif
I take it that your car spec's 5w30 as its an 04 model, so that's what I would use. For most applications there is not an engine change that dictates 5w20, but rather a desire to slighly boost CAFE numbers. I assume its still under warranty so I would stay with plain M1 and the longest oil change interval recommended by the owners' manual, backed up by receipts and a log of the date and mileage. I would not go past that interval under warranty as that could give the dealer an out if you needed warranty work. Stick around and enjoy, this oil stuff is quite addictive.

quote:

Originally posted by merlin64:
Another option: there's nothing wrong with sticking to your 5k intervals. As you said, you are in stop and go traffic, and that can be hard on engines and oils. With the M1 at your moderate interval, at least you are virtually assured you have max protection. You could go out to 6k or maybe 7.5k, but frankly, $25 to change your own oil at your parent's place every 5k isn't a bad way to go for max engine life. Besides, don't you want to see them anyway? Score a free dinner at home and the 5k intervals make even more sense!

You might also check out Wix filters, sometimes you can get a deal and they are quite good.

i see my parents pretty much every weekend when i was clothes. i just dont feel like changing my oil sometimes. when i have hw and laundry and such to do. its crazy, its cheaper to drive almost an hour and do the laundry than it is to go to a laundry mat.

i was wondering how much stress would be put on the oil for the times that i am in a traffic jam. i guess the 5000 oci is what i will stick with. thanks for everyones input.

Another option: there's nothing wrong with sticking to your 5k intervals. As you said, you are in stop and go traffic, and that can be hard on engines and oils. With the M1 at your moderate interval, at least you are virtually assured you have max protection. You could go out to 6k or maybe 7.5k, but frankly, $25 to change your own oil at your parent's place every 5k isn't a bad way to go for max engine life. Besides, don't you want to see them anyway? Score a free dinner at home and the 5k intervals make even more sense!

You might also check out Wix filters, sometimes you can get a deal and they are quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back