First pet in the house

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
You are a good person for rescuing that cat!
Do you have any pics of her?

Thank you.
She is a shy 5 pounds 1 year old short hair Tortoise shell (black + grey + beige +some white).
No pictures yet. She manged 2 days in a dead space between cabinets, and the rest is under our queen bed.

Tortie's are gorgeous cats, and in my experience usually have a pretty strong personality. Our Muffin, aka Goose, is 22lbs of sass!

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Ws6

I got a cat from my vet. A beautiful Maine Coon. As soon as he was home he shot under my bed. He stayed for a day. Finally, impatience won out and I began to crawl under after him to pet. As soon as he saw me, the growling began. Maine coons are large...and sharp on all 4 corners. Being in a confined space, I slowed my roll a bit, but he wasnt posturing. Inching forward, he began to sound more and more like a meth fueled garbage disposal. Still, being me, I slowly stretched a hand out. He stopped growling and gave it a sniff. Then another. Then I petted an ear and he leaned into it and I scratched behind his ears and the purring began. I withdrew from under the bed, and he shortly followed. He has followed me room to room through 2 apartments and finally my house, over the last 8 years like a dog. I love that cat.

This is the best description of an angry cat I have ever read.

I miss our Maine Coon, Hippie. About 10 years ago he passed at 16 years old. He LOVED water. Whenever we would take a shower, he'd sit on the back or side of the bath tub and put his tail down into the water.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Buy good food for the cat. Least amount of ingredients as possible and nothing artificial. Cheap food for cats or dogs can cause disturbing results over time.

I know some people like to buy the most expensive gourmet food for their pets, with the belief that it's better.

I personally go with major-name-brand cat food -- Friskies by Nestlé to be exact. My cats are extremely healthy and never get sick. They are not even six years old yet (40 in human years). Hopefully they will have long healthy lives.

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

Typically it's the opposite with dogs. Been the cheap route and had to do many vet visits because of it.
I would love to buy the XL $20 Purina Dog Chow. I buy the craft $60 (only large) bag and my dogs now thrive on it. No vet visits necessary. No skin growths. No eye discharges. No cataracts. No arthritis. No loose, smelly stools.......etc....etc.

I'm guessing if you eat cheap food from places like Aldi.....etc.... fast food places too, then so will the pet. But if you eat good food that costs more due to nutrition exhibits on the label - or place of origin, then so will your pet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
You are a good person for rescuing that cat!
Do you have any pics of her?

Thank you.
She is a shy 5 pounds 1 year old short hair Tortoise shell (black + grey + beige +some white).
No pictures yet. She manged 2 days in a dead space between cabinets, and the rest is under our queen bed.

Tortie's are gorgeous cats, and in my experience usually have a pretty strong personality. Our Muffin, aka Goose, is 22lbs of sass!

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Ws6

I got a cat from my vet. A beautiful Maine Coon. As soon as he was home he shot under my bed. He stayed for a day. Finally, impatience won out and I began to crawl under after him to pet. As soon as he saw me, the growling began. Maine coons are large...and sharp on all 4 corners. Being in a confined space, I slowed my roll a bit, but he wasnt posturing. Inching forward, he began to sound more and more like a meth fueled garbage disposal. Still, being me, I slowly stretched a hand out. He stopped growling and gave it a sniff. Then another. Then I petted an ear and he leaned into it and I scratched behind his ears and the purring began. I withdrew from under the bed, and he shortly followed. He has followed me room to room through 2 apartments and finally my house, over the last 8 years like a dog. I love that cat.

This is the best description of an angry cat I have ever read.

I miss our Maine Coon, Hippie. About 10 years ago he passed at 16 years old. He LOVED water. Whenever we would take a shower, he'd sit on the back or side of the bath tub and put his tail down into the water.

People dont think that's how they be, but that's just how they be.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guys,
such Beautiful stories.

Since she has been only in the house, do I need a fleas collar?

Update:
still under bed, but can tolerate all family. and play with about 2 at a time.
started to go out during the day,
set 2 places for her at windows for CatTV. She enjoys but she has to be alone.
most success, homemade toys. Store bought with catnip inside, no-go.

I started yesterday to give her 4 dental snacks per day.
Food-wise: will finish the shelter provided adult Hills + introduced some Nutro (rice and chicken). Guess what she likes by smell?
Wet food, Friskies + couple more, about 1/2 can morning, 1/2 can at night, with about a tablespoon of water added. She likes shreds, not really pate, and some store bought cubes sit for a long time....
Give her 1/2 boiled egg about every 3 days
tried a piece of boiled meat, no seasoning cut in cubes. Had to break in smaller pieces.

Water changed once or twice per day. starting to think about making a water fountain/running water feature.
tried milk about 3 times.

Only time she has been sick, store can with vegetable inside.

Litter, for now using some scented clay. Never again, will try some from Kroger

and re: Slave, she acquired:
2 small mice
2 big mice
1 duckie
2 liter boxes + pan + rug/towel under (to clean paws from carying sand and ... other )
collar with bell
scratch post
couple cardboard "houses", couple homemade scratchers
about 10 small towels, 2 of my old shirts, couple medium towels
some toys from my kids (2 balls, one orange, one onion, one carrot + lots of rubberbands)
3 homemade "chase-me" sticks
she requisitioned my fluffy get out of bed rug.
1 pet bowl,
couple corelle bowls and plates (hard to break, easy to clean)
couple wide-base glass bowls for water
1 silicone pet bush

Guys, couple questions?

What litter works best for you?
Also what box? Covered/uncovered? Side or top entrance?

Also, how do you move her from scratching a furniture to a scratching post or similar?

Guys, couple questions?

Also, how do you move her from scratching a furniture to a scratching post or similar?

Covered, non clumping clay, placed 12" from a wall, facing it, with a rug under it. Top enter might be better.

I'm a bit embarrassed to be SO enthusiast about cat litter...but this is the best cat litter every made:

https://www.amazon.com/Arm-Hammer-Platinum-Clean-Up-Multi-Cat

25 years of cats, and this stuff is better than anything. I just use an open litter box that's in the laundry room, but the covered ones are fine, too.

NOTE: this litter doesn't work for oil spills! you need the non-clumping stuff for that.

you can sprinkle a bit of catnip on the scratching post. It's tough though. My suggestion: don't get too attached to any furniture. It's just stuff. When you start sharing your house with animals, you just have to let some stuff go. What CAN help: nail trimming. You really have to start early to have a chance. Mine comes like it's a spa treatment, but I started at 6 weeks. An older stray I took in (around 1) never let me do it. She was also really hard on furniture.

Guys, couple questions?

Fresh step extreme is what we use, with a covered side entrance box.

I'm guessing if you eat cheap food from places like Aldi.....etc.... fast food places too, then so will the pet.

LOL. No, I don't eat fast food or cheap food, but I don't dine in expensive restaurants either. I've never heard of Aldi.
lol.gif

This is the same brand of flea and tick protection we use on our dog. Works great and available for cats.

https://www.joespetmeds.com/item/bravecto-for-cats

For cats I've read the side effects of food-mixed insecticides, and there is a risk of kidney damage. Therefore, I won't use them. Bayer Advantage II for Cats that you put on the skin works great, but one of my cats doesn't allow me to treat her, and it's a lot of drama when I have to do it.

Guys, couple questions?

My recommendations:

Litter box (closed a lot better, might need to keep it open until trained, I personally keep the door removed at all times):

https://www.chewy.com/van-ness-enclosed-cat-litter-pan-x/dp/55365

Litter (must ideally be unscented, clumping clay type):

https://www.chewy.com/dr-elseys-precious-cat-ultra-clumping/dp/32363

Scratcher (saw it recommended by cat behaviourist Jackson Galaxy but haven't bought it yet):

https://www.chewy.com/scratch-lounge-original-scratch/dp/49353

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Triple_Se7en said:
Bayer Advantage II for Cats that you put on the skin works great, but one of my cats doesn't allow me to treat her, and it's a lot of drama when I have to do it.

This is what I buy for Keeks too. I always have to give it to her while she's asleep. She'll hear me open the tube and immediately know what it is!

I bought her his the other day. Works great and she actually likes having her teeth brushed. I brush her teeth every night.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...lth-kit-with-chicken-flavored-toothpaste

OK guys, couple updates.

Got Coco, her highness, some wet food(Pet Pride/Friskies/9Lifes). I tried to go for no pate, some type of shreds or cubes. And we rotate the types (chicken, turkey, fish).
Water bowl is a glass bowl that I wash daily/couple days. Water change twice per day.
For now two meals per day, morning and evening, mix of dry and wet(add 3-4 tablespoons of water to 1/2 can). Some milk twice a week.

For the past 2 days switched from the scented cheap litter stuff that smelled crazy after 3 days to a generic multi-cat and I'm amazed by the capacity to clump #1 and catch the smell of #2.

for now only regular litter pan, but should go to higher/covered type. (she really covers her stuff and spreads some litter in the process. Hence she is set in one bathroom for now/tiles for celan up).

Also, you must "catify to satisfy" so moved some furniture around and raided our small towel collections + couple of my old t-shirts and she has couple high places to sit and watch and pull all blinds up so she has CatTV.

Also discovered blind cords don't mix with jumping+moving cat . luckily her tick necklace was not tight, so all blind cords are out of reach.

Trying to brush each night since she started to shed. If she continues, she-shall-be-not-be-named will kick her out...so trying to keep the peace.

Bath planned for the next days, fingers crossed. For now I have some baby shampoo on hand.

Also, cat's stuff and toys are really expensive. Especially scratchers/towers...

The alpha person in the house is the wifey, who for the most part of the day ignores her. But guess who the cat cries for when lonely/scared? Me? nope.
still too scared to come downstairs.

So questions:
-what you guys do to clean the a hair, keep the shedding low?
-what covered pan you like, entrance up or side?
-Did any of you built something for their beloved pet?

Thank you sir for giving your cat her forever home. She will work it out for herself. Can't expect a cat to be what you think it should be. They all have their own agenda and no amount of cajoling will change them. If there is any changing to be done, it will be you. After fifty years of owning all kinds of cats that showed up at the door, I still enjoy having one or two around the house. Sometimes wish we had a kitten again, but we are in our eighties and cats are expensive to own and operate. Costs as much to get our cat in the front door of the vet's as it does to visit our own doctor. Three times as much to have her teeth cleaned. Take care of her, and if she seems oblivious to the things you do to give her a good life,just remember you have a cat running your life. Regards to you kind sir.

Furminator!
http://www.furminator.com/products/deshed/cat.aspx

This thing is incredible. I rent my condo out when I'm not there, so I need to keep the pet hair down. While it doesn't eliminate shedding, I'd say it's down 90%. I do it every other day in shedding season.

A rubber glove and a spray bottle misted on the glove works well on furniture, and then vacuum it up. I'll finish with a tape brush (seem obsessive, but this is to make the place as pet hair-free as I can get it.

Back