first oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the best oil to use for the first time change,it is a honda civic 2008? dino or blend ? Thanks dennis

welcome2.gif

any of todays Sm oils will do you good.

Pennzoil dino yellow bottle always has good results, castrol gtx, motorcraft syn blend 5w20 is good

Why not full synthetic? Any synthetic that's on sale IMO. Too bad you don't have a Checker, Schuck's, Kragen, or Murray's in Florida b/c they have Valvoline SynPower on sale for $0.99/qt after rebate.

In all of my cars i use molil-1 SYN.with the ext. filter,i am a beliver in syn. oil. Dennis

I guess you threw me off by asking "dino or blend?" IMHO, I think M1 is overpriced. I only use it (M1 0W-20) in my hybrid b/c that's what my engine requires and it's easy to find.

Like satterfield, I use, and highly recommend, only synthetic Mobil 1 and have for 18 years. Mobil 1 is 60 cents a quart more, where I live, than Pennzoil or Valvoline. That is $2.40 to $3.00 more per oil change, but, worth it to me.

I just did the first oil change on my 08 Civic R18A1, too. My mechanic's advice was to do the first one with dino (5 qt. Pennzoil jug of 5W-20 was $10 at Wal-Mart) and a decent oil filter. After that, switch it over to an approved synthetic and don't look back.

Some other things he mentioned:

The factory-fitted oil filter can be a pain to get off, so grab a pair of filter pliers from Pep Boys for $10. They've got teeth, so I ended up crunching the filter a bit, but the thing came off effortlessly.

A Ziploc freezer bag around the filter will keep you from spilling oil when you unscrew it (worked great). Put a tiny sheen of clean oil on the new filter's gasket.

Filters he likes for the Honda: Mobil 1 M1-110, Wix 51356 (Napa Gold 1356), and PureONE PL14610. After the first 15,000 miles or so you can switch to any well-made filter on the Honda.

Most any synthetic oil in the proper grade will do fine, but he uses Mobil 1 because it's seen more real-world use than any other. Make sure the oil plays nice with your car warranty.

Make sure your air filter's in good shape when you change the oil. Dirty doesn't mean bad--but make sure the gasket makes a nice seal and that there aren't any holes in the media. He actually recommended the Honda OEM filter because it's sturdy, filters well, and the gasket fits perfectly. In his opinion a major cause of engine wear is dust getting through poor filtering or poorly seated air filters. Don't bother with racing filters on the Honda--the Honda's design won't allow them to flow any better than more restrictive, better filtering filters.

Lastly, let your dealer do oil changes for you now and then. They often spot problems a DIY guy doesn't notice, and they'll do a better job with warranty work if they have a bit of service history with you.

Sounded like decent advice to me. Sorry if this noobish info insulted anyone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: satterfield
what is the best oil to use for the first time change,it is a honda civic 2008? dino or blend ? Thanks dennis

Havoline dino
Chevron dino
Mobil Drive Clean dino or blend

I also think Mobil 1 is over-priced. I would try to find some Pennzoil Platinum on sale, or just go with conventional. Welcome to the site by the way!

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I also think Mobil 1 is over-priced. I would try to find some Pennzoil Platinum on sale, or just go with conventional. Welcome to the site by the way!

You're right, PP is less expensive than Mobil 1 but only by about 2 bucks per 5 quarts. That's 6 bucks a year for me; no big deal. At that price difference I say go with what you like best.

I got my Pennzoil Platinum for $3/quart at Advance Auto and I got 6 quarts free, with $25 back in the mail, so I got paid to use Pennzoil Platinum. -shrugs- That's more than $6 to me.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
4 cyl motors in general are pretty noisy and I found with M1 our RDX was pretty noisy, switched to Pennzoil Platinum and I can barely hear the motor at idle with the windows down and it feels smoother (yes my butt dyno)

Originally Posted By: chaser06

You're right, PP is less expensive than Mobil 1 but only by about 2 bucks per 5 quarts. That's 6 bucks a year for me; no big deal. At that price difference I say go with what you like best.
6 bucks is a gallon of gas.

Originally Posted By: peking
Why not full synthetic? Any synthetic that's on sale IMO. Too bad you don't have a Checker, Schuck's, Kragen, or Murray's in Florida b/c they have Valvoline SynPower on sale for $0.99/qt after rebate.

Thanks for the heads up. I buy all my oil at Checkers, but they don't put their print ads into the local paper regularly anymore, so I end up having to look up the ad online. I've forgotten to look for a while now as I still have a pretty good stockpile of oil from previous sales... but SynPower for only 99 cents?! I'll find room for a case of that.

FYI - Formula Shell (conventional) is also on sale... 49 cents after mail-in rebate. Both sales end on Saturday this week.

Originally Posted By: satterfield

It doesn't make a difference if this is your first or 100th oil change... you can use the same oil. What oil you decide to use should depends on what OCI you plan on going with and what kind of driving you do.

If you're just doing street driving (no track days) and following the Maintenance Minder system, then you'll be fine with a conventional oil. There are popular favorites here (Chevron, Havoline, etc.), but IMHO, any API-certified conventional oil in the recommended weight will work.

If you plan on going with extended OCIs or racing the car at the track, then you're probably better off going with a full synthetic for the added protection.

A blend is a nice compromise between conventional and full synthetic.

In other words... there is no "best" oil. There are ones that people like or make people sleep better at night. You have to consider how you drive your car and decided what you think works best for you.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: chaser06

6 bucks is a gallon of gas.

He he he. And a gallon of gas will get me 31.5 miles further in a year, so again, not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back