First oil change

PJH

Well 3000k on my new Protege5 so I changed the oil using Penzoil 5w30 dino (instead of my usual GTX) after reading this forum. Got a special 4.73L jug at Wally-Mart for under $10! Not a bad deal. Thanks for this forums help! (Also used a U.S.Mazda OEM 'Tennex' oil filter instead of the Canadian OEM Fram!)

PJH

quote:
Originally posted by twentynine: Just purchased a Mazda6i for my daughter. For the first oil change on a new vehicle I like to change it somewhere between 500 and 1000 miles, with filter change. For the 6i Mazda recommends 5w-20, so that is what I used. I was planning to use 5w-30 but my daughter pitched a fit because it just wasn't the exact oil that was suppose to be in it. No use in trying to explain so I figured if she was that concerned with her new car I would do exactly what was recommended. I happened to find a case of Motorcraft 5w-20 Blended Synthetic at Wally World at about $1.50 a qt. I plan on going to full synthetic at about 7500 miles.
Sorry messed that up! The Protege5 calls for 5w30 or 10w30 - so I went with 5w for the winter and will use 10w in the summer. For me I'll just stick to good old dino and change with a new (non Fram) filter ever 5000K (3000mi). By the way - nice to buy your daughter a new car! Cheers pjh

Just purchased a Mazda6i for my daughter. For the first oil change on a new vehicle I like to change it somewhere between 500 and 1000 miles, with filter change. For the 6i Mazda recommends 5w-20, so that is what I used. I was planning to use 5w-30 but my daughter pitched a fit because it just wasn't the exact oil that was suppose to be in it. No use in trying to explain so I figured if she was that concerned with her new car I would do exactly what was recommended. I happened to find a case of Motorcraft 5w-20 Blended Synthetic at Wally World at about $1.50 a qt. I plan on going to full synthetic at about 7500 miles.

Kestas

Staff member
Hats off to your daughter! It shows she cares. It's not often you find a daughter that actually cares for a car's well being. I hope she feels the same way when the car hits 120K - when the car REALLY needs attention!