First Oil Change - Thanks Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome CaptainBiggles!
smile.gif

Thank you! Incidentally, this oil really kicks [censored] when it's cold outside. Did my first cold start with freezing rain and snow around me in single digits and it started up like it was springtime. Woah.

welcome captain, im a relative newbie here too, but i lurked for awhile to get great advice. being self reliant gives one a great sense of wellbeing though unfortunately im not in a position to change my own oil anymore.

may i kindly suggest that you post more on bitog? e.g. perhaps a review of your hyundai sonata in the vehicles subforum? user reviews of used cars are highly valuable.

It's nice to see someone doing it himself. I haven't had my oil changed by someone else since 2001. I gave Jiffy Lube a chance, and they screwed it up, so I never went back. (Smoke came pouring out from under my hood at the next stoplight I stopped at, so I did a U-turn and took it back. They had the cojones to assert that my brand new car must have a cracked block, because they didn't do anything wrong. They didn't tighten the filter enough, and it was dripping straight onto my exhaust pipe).

Doing it yourself is a great source of what they call 'peace of mind', because you know what products were used, and that everything was done right, and was not rushed. It also gives you a chance to poke around and look for trouble. I suspect most folks have no idea that the rear main seal on their Lexus is seeping, or that it's a broken clamp on the pipe just ahead of the catalytic converter that's producing that rattling noise at idle. I'm glad I don't have to rely on a dealership technician to ignore the problems that should be fixed under warranty.

Originally Posted By: jstert
welcome captain, im a relative newbie here too, but i lurked for awhile to get great advice. being self reliant gives one a great sense of wellbeing though unfortunately im not in a position to change my own oil anymore.

may i kindly suggest that you post more on bitog? e.g. perhaps a review of your hyundai sonata in the vehicles subforum? user reviews of used cars are highly valuable.

Okay I'll do that this weekend. Incidentally I absolutely love the car. I'm the 2nd owner of a one owner lease.

Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote
It's nice to see someone doing it himself. I haven't had my oil changed by someone else since 2001. I gave Jiffy Lube a chance, and they screwed it up, so I never went back. (Smoke came pouring out from under my hood at the next stoplight I stopped at, so I did a U-turn and took it back. They had the cojones to assert that my brand new car must have a cracked block, because they didn't do anything wrong. They didn't tighten the filter enough, and it was dripping straight onto my exhaust pipe).

Doing it yourself is a great source of what they call 'peace of mind', because you know what products were used, and that everything was done right, and was not rushed. It also gives you a chance to poke around and look for trouble. I suspect most folks have no idea that the rear main seal on their Lexus is seeping, or that it's a broken clamp on the pipe just ahead of the catalytic converter that's producing that rattling noise at idle. I'm glad I don't have to rely on a dealership technician to ignore the problems that should be fixed under warranty.

That's exactly how I feel! And I get the need for convenience and speed in today's world, but those instant oil change places scare the [censored] out of me now that I know you're not really *supposed* to have to do things so fast. I also discovered I'm a bit of a filter snob only insofar that I dont want whatever the cheapest bulk ordered filter they have on hand to go in my vehicle. If it's not OEM I want something top shelf and syntehtic like a Fram Ultra. I'd rather take my time and do it properly and with a modicum of care. If not my local mechanic, then myself, at least with low hanging fruit items like this.

Last edited:
Welcome CaptainBiggles and congrats on your first oil change. I've been doing my cars for decades now and feel there are some definite advantages if one is able to do so. For instance, I know that the mating surfaces are wiped clean and then reoiled (as are the O-rings) for spin-on filters, that a new drain plug washer is used, that the drain plug bolt is not over tightened, that nearly all the oil is allowed to drain till it stops dripping, and that the correct amount of oil is added. While I wait for the oil to drain, it also gives me an opportunity to check radiator fluid level, transmission fluid level, windshield washer level, battery water level, brake fluid color, and air filters if needed. What you have accomplished is actually quite empowering!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back